gears question.

ryanjoachim

Established Member
Didnt really know where to post this but ive been curious, Right now i have 4.10 FR gears( it was set up for the strip when i bought it) and was considering going to 3.73 since i DD my car. Just wanted some thoughts on if this change is really worth the 200$ for the driveability... etc

SpectorV

Established Member
200 is just for the gears ,then another 200+ for installing them :( unless you do it yourself of course.

3.73 vs 4.10 wont be a big enough difference to make it worth while, at least not to me.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it might be worth it. Is your car standard or automatic. Auto it would def not be worth it but I can see there being a case for change if it's standard. Reason being, I get tired of being in stop and go traffic everyday and constantly rowing the gears. I had 3:73's and inherited 3:55's with my IRS swap. I thought that made a nice difference to where I can stay in each gear a little longer and with my tiny 1.7 KB I don't feel like I lost any ability to get moving or spin tires when I want. It's not a giant difference but I noticed it. If those things seem to be worth the $ on gears and changing them, then sure go for it. If $ is tight and a little difference doesn't seem to be a big deal to you, then leave it as is.

buckinwild

Established Member
I agree with everyone. This is also a topic with people considering the 3.55 to 3.73 change in mach1s, nah anything less than .50 ratio change I wouldn't even consider it.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Don't fear the gear. :D

I liked 4.10's vs. 3.55's in the mach - it allowed me to hit 5th at a lower mph and not feel bogged down. When I kept my foot out of the pedal I got better mpg too.

yellowbra

Established Member
Didnt really know where to post this but ive been curious, Right now i have 4.10 FR gears( it was set up for the strip when i bought it) and was considering going to 3.73 since i DD my car. Just wanted some thoughts on if this change is really worth the 200$ for the driveability... etc

are you ever looking to get a blower or up the power on your car? If so I would suggest 3.55's they seem to be in the best spot for a car with a blower. Otherwise if your staying N/A then get the 3.73's.

ryanjoachim

Established Member
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it might be worth it. Is your car standard or automatic. Auto it would def not be worth it but I can see there being a case for change if it's standard. Reason being, I get tired of being in stop and go traffic everyday and constantly rowing the gears. I had 3:73's and inherited 3:55's with my IRS swap. I thought that made a nice difference to where I can stay in each gear a little longer and with my tiny 1.7 KB I don't feel like I lost any ability to get moving or spin tires when I want. It's not a giant difference but I noticed it. If those things seem to be worth the $ on gears and changing them, then sure go for it. If $ is tight and a little difference doesn't seem to be a big deal to you, then leave it as is.

it is a standard (mods in sig) and its just a pain i do alot of highway driveing now also about 20 miles a day commute on highway and cruiseing at 75 im running around 2700 rpms also the city driveing is what eats me up i really dont even need to use first gear unless on a little incline but i use it anyway would 3:55s be the better way to go instead of 3:73s?

Users who are viewing this thread