Votes: 22 19.3%

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 3.31 or other?

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I presently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35 R18 on all 4 corners.

Those are my daily drivers.

Track Tires are a Toyo R888 in 295/30 R18 on all 4 corners ... next set of track tires will have a taller sidewall (but the pricing on these was too cheap to not give them a try) I have only one track day on them so far and I enjoyed them that time out, but not with the supercharger yet.

Those are both short, Don't the 25" tall toyos look out of place?
even your dd tire is over a inch shorter than stock. Why not a 285/40/18 for the dd?

Surfergeek

Established Member
Those are both short, Don't the 25" tall toyos look out of place?
even your dd tire is over a inch shorter than stock. Why not a 285/40/18 for the dd?

The Toyos do look short, which is why next time they will be taller, but I saved $400 on the set getting this side, so it was worth it to give them a short.

As for why not 40 on the Daily driver, that is what I wanted but the Pilot Sport didn't come in a 40 series sidewall on that size.

Djstorm100

Established Member
Aren't lower gears (3.27) techically stronger than higher gears (3:73)

How do the super sports hook with the s/c?

RC-5.0

Established Member
I have a tvs and had 373s i pulled them and went to 331s

I have 3.73s and planning on Roush in the next year. i was looking at this also, but every speed shop, vendor, and even Roush themselves say that 3.73s are the best with that SC. (im with an Auto). What i may do is have it installed and and try it out, THEN go down to a 331 if that seems like too much.

I guess there is really no "RIGHT" answer
RC

jojobee

Established Member
I have 3.73 on 20in Michelin SS 315 35 20 and with a good tune there's no way the tires will hook in first or second so i would really like to feel the difference with 3.31 as i'm really thinking about switching.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
first gear is useless with 373's stock. but i cant imagine 331's being usable in first gear with boost.

This...

Im putting down 430rw in a manual car, with 3.73's. 1st is useless, 2nd spins too, 3rd slightly when power shifted, and that's with 285's out back. Couldn't imagine having a twin screw with 3.73's, it would spin 3rd with out question. I'd say, put in some 3.31's

The old saying "don't fear the gear" does not apply here. :rolling:

kingnut

Established Member
I presently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35 R18 on all 4 corners.

holy shit no wonder you want longer gear. with those tiny ass tires and your 308 gears are probably a 350 to 360 gearing. someone can chime in with the tire size to gear calculator.

i dont know why you guys run such small Overall Diameter wheel and tire setups. your running a 25.85" OD. stock brembo is 27.2". i think a perfect OD is 27.6.

Surfergeek

Established Member
holy shit no wonder you want longer gear. with those tiny ass tires and your 308 gears are probably a 350 to 360 gearing. someone can chime in with the tire size to gear calculator.

i dont know why you guys run such small Overall Diameter wheel and tire setups. your running a 25.85" OD. stock brembo is 27.2". i think a perfect OD is 27.6.

Road course is my passion and I went with the 18" wheels to save weight, lots of weight per corner.

Of course this was before I had plans on supercharging, I was looking for a 40 series sidewall, but the pilot super sports didn't come in the right size with a 40 sidewall.

Next set of tires will be taller, but yes, that's why I settled on the 3.08 gears, mainly because of the smaller tire diameter.

Surfergeek

Established Member
Finally had the 3.08s installed.

Just doing the break-in, but so far I think I'll be very happy with them. Traction will be found where it was lacking before, no more gear whine, Highway cruising is at a reasonable RPM, and I should be able to get on it coming out of corners on the road course now in combination with the wavetrac differential I had installed at the same time.

Going with and sticking with the 18" tire size is what made the final decision to go all the way to 3.08. Initial impressions are favorable and so far happy with the decision.

Will get them a real workout at the Shelby Bash in a couple of weeks.

pohnjarker

Established Member
i'll be going down from 3.73s to 3.31s now that the Paxton is installed. sucks breaking loose at 60mph in third gear when boost kicks in. hoping this will help.

kingnut

Established Member
i'll be going down from 3.73s to 3.31s now that the Paxton is installed. sucks breaking loose at 60mph in third gear when boost kicks in. hoping this will help.

what kind of tires are you running? sounds like you need some better rubber.

pohnjarker

Established Member
what kind of tires are you running? sounds like you need some better rubber.

i probably do, im currently running 315 Nitto NT05s. i chalk it up to cold weather when i was doing my logging back in December. switching to 275/60-15 ET Streets on Weld RT-S 15x10s real soon.

ETA: kingnut, your signature is hilarious

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
i probably do, im currently running 315 Nitto NT05s. i chalk it up to cold weather when i was doing my logging back in December. switching to 275/60-15 ET Streets on Weld RT-S 15x10s real soon.

ETA: kingnut, your signature is hilarious

well shit NT-05's are supposed to be great. must be cold weather or your car really is putting down some powa.

glad you like the sig. i thought it would give everyone a good laugh.

pohnjarker

Established Member
well shit NT-05's are supposed to be great. must be cold weather or your car really is putting down some powa.

glad you like the sig. i thought it would give everyone a good laugh.

i'll dyno in a few weeks when i get home, im hoping close to 700rwhp so i think it was a combination of that and a shitty old highway surface. i had to find a newer part of the road to finish logging on.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i'll dyno in a few weeks when i get home, im hoping close to 700rwhp so i think it was a combination of that and a shitty old highway surface. i had to find a newer part of the road to finish logging on.

I have beefcake special jlt intake with conti 285 on rear, stock 3.73's and over 60 out I can dead hook in third and sometimes in second. I haven't dynoed but i just want over 600 whp which i'm sure I have now. I am thinking about 3.15 rear gear, but the shop which has a few fi 5.0's thinks 3.35. Beefcake told me to do 3.15's I just don't want to lose the fun lowend I have now. I know that I'll pickup a more useable 1st and 2nd gear.

pohnjarker

Established Member
^^^^i have the same kit but with a smaller pulley. losing some low end is what prompted me to go with 3.31s over 3.08s which is what i was thinking at first. i figure somewhere in the middle should be good. 3.31s will be pretty long but it will keep me in boost longer and shouldnt drop too much in between shifts. plus, 3.31s are easy to find used.

i will be getting the 3.31s installed next month along with a limited slip and motor mounts. how do you like your motor mounts or can you tell a difference?

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have had motor mounts on my last three cars, so i'm use to them. In the mustang if you went for a ride you wouldn't even notice them. Drive line just feels tighter, with motor mounts mgw shifter and upper/ lower control arms I feel like the drive train is right were it belongs.

Users who are viewing this thread