Gear ratio's

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Recently my motor went and it's believed to because of a highway pull, some say the tune was off because i hit the rev limiter at 5k
anyways after my ported blower install and a tune i went to test how the car pulls, it ran very strong, even with belt slip.
i started in 2 went to 3 and 4 but not to top of 4th,
anyways all this aside i have heard the heat buildup could of caused the engine failure, so i have to get the engine rebuild and while the car is down i was thinking if its because of the gearing issue i shouldn't go into 5 due to the heat buildup, would i have to get different gears or trans or just avoid 5th
i just wanted to know if anyone knows the top speed at each gear with stock gearing, i shift at 5600 so i have some room to spare

cobracide

Established Member
Recently my motor went and it's believed to because of a highway pull, some say the tune was off because i hit the rev limiter at 5k

How fast?

anyways after my ported blower install and a tune i went to test how the car pulls, it ran very strong, even with belt slip.
i started in 2 went to 3 and 4 but not to top of 4th,
anyways all this aside i have heard the heat buildup could of caused the engine failure, so i have to get the engine rebuild and while the car is down i was thinking if its because of the gearing issue i shouldn't go into 5 due to the heat buildup, would i have to get different gears or trans or just avoid 5th
i just wanted to know if anyone knows the top speed at each gear with stock gearing, i shift at 5600 so i have some room to spare

Avoid stomping it for extended intervals in 5th and 6th. These are overdrive gears. Get some gauges/monitoring in place to watch the temps. Cooling mods are always a good investment.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
I don't think the fuel system was it since it was running nice and fine it happened at 130
I have 63 lb injectors
Mafia maf
Afco double pass heat exchanger
Kb bap
The thing is this happened in 4th gear

b_dike

Established Member
Thank you, I wonder is there a way I can go I to 5th without risking to damage internals

Different ratio may help aslong as 5th isn't an overdrive, or resizing the pistons/ bore dia to allow for more expansion. Both would be expensive projects though...

Personally I just don't go into 5th anymore. All my races end at the top of 4th.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Different ratio may help aslong as 5th isn't an overdrive, or resizing the pistons/ bore dia to allow for more expansion. Both would be expensive projects though...

Personally I just don't go into 5th anymore. All my races end at the top of 4th.

Problem is the cars I race usually go from a roll and it ends up till 150 or so
That's the plan actually with little higher compression pistons more wall clearance too

oster910

Turboman
Established Member

How would I go about not making 5th a overdrive , different rear gear or a actual 5th gear

JCarmichael84

Established Member
How would I go about not making 5th a overdrive , different rear gear or a actual 5th gear

5th gear is over drive because the gear ratio is under 1 it's 0.79. 4th Gear is 1:1 so the input shaft and output shaft are spinning at the same speed. Over drive is the gear ratio under 1 no matter what gear it is, it could be 4th, 5th, 6th of whatever. For instance 5th gear in the new 5.0 is 1:1. So to really answer your question to make 5th gear not over drive you would need to change the actual gear but ultimately just don't boost in any over drive gear.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Nothing I am aware of. It would have to be custom. Best bet is to simply not race in 5th, it's simply not engineered for

Got you, it's just I would love to to a top end pull but I wouldn't risk my engine again , wonder how people do top end runs and never blow their engines

racebronco2

Established Member
You need all the cooling mods along with my hood. My friend has an aluminator engine and i am running manley forged pistons. I have made 4 hoods to this date. Me and a friend with my hood have done several high speed runs in 100*weather. His speed with 3.73's he went 162mph, i had the stock 3.55's and went 172.3. Our engine temps never went higher than 215*. We open track our cars all year round including 100* temps and speeds on the front straights are a high as 145mph, barely shifting into fifth.

Last edited:

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
By the way i switched to 3.27's and the top 4th now is about 160mph at about 6200 rpms.

How does the car pull at lower speeds , does it pull stronger roll racing at 45-55 rolls
Can you upload a few pictures of your good please or Inbox me
I've been looking for new good but I want it lighter and to look factory like to a degree

Users who are viewing this thread