Gear noise from back seat?

jchristena

Established Member
I've only had the car a few days, but I can distinctly hear a hiss/gear noise from the back seat area. It is definitely speed dependent and engine RPM, gear or clutch position have no effect on the sound. Is this a known issue? This is a 2011 w/ PP.

fullboogie

Established Member
Not that unusual to hear a little whine, even on stock setups. It gets worse when you put in aftermarket control arms.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mines pretty bad too. Had it since new and the dealer says its "a characteristic of the car." I call bullshit, but I'll fix it myself when I install 3.73's or 4.10's next summer. Properly set up gears shouldn't be louder than full 3" super snake exhaust... :/

fullboogie

Established Member
I'm actually thinking about putting down some Dynomat-type stuff over the rear torque box areas. The whining in the cabin really increased with the BMR lowers...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm actually thinking about putting down some Dynomat-type stuff over the rear torque box areas. The whining in the cabin really increased with the BMR lowers...

I tried it, it didn't do anything. Dynomat and the like, are vibration dampners not sound deadeners. They are designed to kill vibration not limit or eliminate sound transmission. To truely limit sound transmission you'd need closed cell foam, mass loaded vinyl or high density butyl rubber and those materials are extremely counter productive for us in terms of weight. Many people mistake the purpose of dynomat type products and spend a fortune on it for the wrong reasons. If you research in the car stereo environment you'll find tons of very informative threads out there about this topic. When I first started building my sound system in my Titan, I found some great information at a site called Sound Deadener Showdown. It's a wealth of information and can save you a lot of headache and money.

NuclearPower

Established Member
It gets worse with suspension mods. The upper with a poly bushing will increase the worst...

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I've only had the car a few days, but I can distinctly hear a hiss/gear noise from the back seat area. It is definitely speed dependent and engine RPM, gear or clutch position have no effect on the sound. Is this a known issue? This is a 2011 w/ PP.

do an exhaust and you wont hear anything..... LOL... But true

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Same noise for me since I put on the BMR LCAs (2012). At first I was concerned that it was something detrimental but everything I've read seems like it's nothing to worry about...just noise. I can live with it and with the radio up can't hear it anyways

gr850

Established Member
Dealer replaced my ring and pinion at 5K miles. It was great for a few hundred miles but is back albiet a different pitch and at different speeds etc. I think the entire housing needs changed. I haven't taken it back in yet.

One thing I notice. Under a spirited launch I feel the right rear want to get out front. Yes, I know most torque is applied to the right side but this doesn't feel right. I have and had other 8.8's in my stable. I'm wondering if the housing isn't mounted straight or something. I think I'll do some measuring.

Who has lowered springs? I'll be honest I don't recall if mine had the whine before the springs however I didn't really notice the noise until I took a interstate trip at 80mph.

raycutchins

Established Member
Dealer replaced my ring and pinion at 5K miles. It was great for a few hundred miles but is back albiet a different pitch and at different speeds etc. I think the entire housing needs changed. I haven't taken it back in yet.

One thing I notice. Under a spirited launch I feel the right rear want to get out front. Yes, I know most torque is applied to the right side but this doesn't feel right. I have and had other 8.8's in my stable. I'm wondering if the housing isn't mounted straight or something. I think I'll do some measuring.

Who has lowered springs? I'll be honest I don't recall if mine had the whine before the springs however I didn't really notice the noise until I took a interstate trip at 80mph.

Do you have an adjustable panhardbar? The rear end may not be centered which would allow if to pull more to one side. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread