Gave my 2014 an Upgrade Today - pulley and Dyno Tune

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
I am pretty impressed with the results considering the relatively inexpensive modification.

I went with a smaller upper pulley and dyno tune and the numbers are 744.5 DinPS - 976.1 DinNM at the crank. Translated from metric to SAE: 735/720. Not too shabby given I am using the stock intake/TB. And this on shatty AAFES gasoline.

My baseline pull was 654 DinPS and 863.3 DinNM (645/637 SAE).

Not sure how this equates to RWHP - I have read where 2013/2014's have generally around 12% less at the wheels. I don't understand why the tuner just doesn't measure at the wheels - must be a selling point for him.

The car has much better throttle response and while I didn't think it was lazy before, it sure woke up!

Last edited:

sono

Established Member
Ha Ha, RWHP is all that matters in here!
Nice it's a cherry, but you already know that!

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Thanks man. I'm going to a drag race on the 18th with 18 other Shelby owners - we plan on dominating the event. Having said that, it's being held on a makeshift venue - an old airstrip without any prep. NO NONE with any power will get traction. I'll be lucky to get 12.5

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
It sounds like that dyno reads higher than normal, there may be different correction factors over there. Typically they read about 600 bone stock give or take 10. Either way that's a pretty fantastic result for upper only.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Sounds like he's talking crank numbers, but even so, a 90hp gain does sound like a lot from just an upper pulley.

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Sounds like he's talking crank numbers, but even so, a 90hp gain does sound like a lot from just an upper pulley.

Correct. My numbers are actually on the low side when you convert to SAE and account for a 12% parasitic drivetrain loss; at least from what I can tell reading others results.

Still, a 90 HP jump from baseline is good

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
What kind of dyno did the shop use to measure crank hp? Did it connect directly to the transmission output shaft?

VNMOUS1

Established Member

we see 80 to 100 with our stage 4...but REALLY dependent on gas quality and heat. The average has been 91rwhp.

I'd be stunned to see 90 crank/75 wheel on crap gas. The knock sensor would be playing quite a tune.

bj

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
we see 80 to 100 with our stage 4...but REALLY dependent on gas quality and heat. The average has been 91rwhp.

I'd be stunned to see 90 crank/75 wheel on crap gas. The knock sensor would be playing quite a tune.

bj

I am running whatever AAFES has - they advertise 93 Octane. My tuner stated my stock baseline was about 10 HP better then most 2013/2014 stock Shelby's he's tuned. But, he normally gets over 1000 DinNM at the crank and only got 976 with my car and attributed it to the gas. He recommended I run Aral 102 for max performance. When he was tuning the car, he said he had to back off the ignition timing stating the knock sensor was keeping him from going further

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Here are the results. 2.4" pulley, colder plugs, and synonym tune

image_1.jpg

Mainn

Established Member
Nice. Torque curve is looking strong. Now, you need a CAI and TB!
Do you happen to know how much timing's in it by the top of the pull?

Just in case anyone is confused - the graph is showing 14psi of boost.

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
Nice. Torque curve is looking strong. Now, you need a CAI and TB!
Do you happen to know how much timing's in it by the top of the pull?

Just in case anyone is confused - the graph is showing 14psi of boost.

Thanks. And I do want to upgrade TB and CAI. Went to AM to buy the CAI and they wouldn't ship to APO in Germany - ugh.

Question - if I install the resonator delete, will I need another tune? AM says "no", but seems to me that may not be optimal.

I'll be racing with my tuner guy this weekend - I'll ask him how much timing he put it into the tune

Mainn

Established Member
Thanks. And I do want to upgrade TB and CAI. Went to AM to buy the CAI and they wouldn't ship to APO in Germany - ugh.

Question - if I install the resonator delete, will I need another tune? AM says "no", but seems to me that may not be optimal.

I'll be racing with my tuner guy this weekend - I'll ask him how much timing he put it into the tune

Yeah, AM don't handle international business too well from my personal experience a few years ago. Maybe things have changed since then. It gets a little complicated, especially when their system doesn't allow overseas credit cards etc. It makes ordering a bit difficult when it won't accept any payment!

Although...you do know VMP carry what you're after, right? ;)
What CAI and TB did you attempt to purchase?

In all seriousness, VMP can help you despite the fact that you're international. Hell, I'm in Australia and ordering a VMP TVS from them was completely pain-free.
The JLT 123mm CAI, as well as the 65mm CJ and the 67mm VMP throttle body, all on their website. All three are great products.

http://vmptuning.com/07-12gt500/caip-gt500-10/
http://vmptuning.com/07-12gt500/m9926cj65/
http://vmptuning.com/07-12gt500/vmp67twinjet/

No tune needed for a resonator delete. :)

Let me know if I can help you out at all. :)

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I am running whatever AAFES has - they advertise 93 Octane. My tuner stated my stock baseline was about 10 HP better then most 2013/2014 stock Shelby's he's tuned. But, he normally gets over 1000 DinNM at the crank and only got 976 with my car and attributed it to the gas. He recommended I run Aral 102 for max performance. When he was tuning the car, he said he had to back off the ignition timing stating the knock sensor was keeping him from going further

Please don't run AAEFES gas... Not very good quality

Users who are viewing this thread