Gas Tank question

ndnblacksnake96

NewSnakeonthablock
Established Member
My cousin just got an 03 cobra from his brother. It's been sitting for a couple years now and he didn't want to fire it up just yet. He wants to drop the tank and drain it and then put new gas in. It's whippled and has been tuned. Would it be safe to just put new gas in and start it? His next concern was the oil settling after all this time. Would it be alright to put a quart or so in and start it to get all the oil hot and then do an oil change? It has a Kenne Bell boost-a-pump also.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
At a minimum, drain the gas and change the oil. Depending on the mileage and maintenance history, check the condition of the coolant in both systems, drain, flush and refill if necessary. Flush the brake fluid and check the fluid levels in the differential and tranny. Check the level and condition of the power steering fluid. All of this will eliminate an aw shit.

Last edited:

ndnblacksnake96

NewSnakeonthablock
Established Member
At a minimum, drain the gas and change the oil. Depending on the mileage and maintenance history, check the condition of the coolant in both systems, drain, flush and refill if necessary. Flush the brake fluid and check the fluid levels in the differential and tranny. Check the level and condition of the power steering fluid. All of this will eliminate an aw shit.

Thanks for the help!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
fuel filter is a must, you don't know how long it's been there. If there's less than an 1/8th of a tank I'd add new super unleaded, if more dropping the tank isn't a bad idea. Check the fan settings too.

hotcobra03

Established Member
No need to drop tank to remove fuel if full..

you can run a jumper wire to fuel pump connector on rear bumper to run pump..

Behind passenger head is fuel line with old school white pull tab disconnect..add hose there to can..

will empty fast

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if worried about not having oil up top after that long, you can make a homemade oil priming system for under $30 at a home improvement store. Cheaper garden sprayer, 2 small hose clamps, clear tube and a barbed adapter from plumbing. If you do a search (well, maybe not on this board right now, itll have the details...or PM me and I'll try get you the info) you can find the hose size and adapter you would need. You just use on of the ports down by the oil filter housing and push the oil through there, itll give you enough oil everywhere to help avoid dry start damage

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I would do all of what has been said above and ill use some marvel mystery oil put a little bit in every cylinder use a blow gun to blow it around the cylinder and rotate the motor a few times by hand and blow the rest of the oil out of the cylinder and you should be good

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
No need to drop tank to remove fuel if full..

you can run a jumper wire to fuel pump connector on rear bumper to run pump..

Behind passenger head is fuel line with old school white pull tab disconnect..add hose there to can..

will empty fast
I'd like to add that if you do this, keep a close watch and do NOT let the fuel pump run dry for more than a few seconds. I'v lost 2 different fuel pumps to running out of gas (one was my fault, the other was someone else).

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would do all of what has been said above and ill use some marvel mystery oil put a little bit in every cylinder use a blow gun to blow it around the cylinder and rotate the motor a few times by hand and blow the rest of the oil out of the cylinder and you should be good

wont do anything for the cams though

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
not disagreeing DSG2003Mach1 that's why I said I would do all what was said above, I only said to put a teaspoon of oil in the cyl and blow it around and rotate to get the rings and walls some lube before you fire it :beer:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not disagreeing DSG2003Mach1 that's why I said I would do all what was said above, I only said to put a teaspoon of oil in the cyl and blow it around and rotate to get the rings and walls some lube before you fire it :beer:

reading comprehension fail on my part there I guess lol

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Pull all the plugs out. Crank the engine with the fuel pump disabled. This will get oil up into the heads/cams.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Spinning it over using the starter and NO spark plugs will prime the engine. The garden sprayer idea works much better. But cranking it with no plugs gets the job done with no side effects. Been doing it for 17 years now on these cars and never had a failure yet.

Last edited:

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Spinning it over using the starter and NO spark plugs will prime the engine. The garden sprayer idea works much better. But cranking it with no plugs gets the job done with no side effects. Been doing it for 17 years now on these cars and never had a failure yet.

This is the way I've done it but I've always sprayed WD-40 in the plug holes. Having an aftermarket oil pressure gauge will give you a good indication of just how quick the oil pressure builds. I've been doing this for a lot longer than 17 years though. lol

Users who are viewing this thread