Gas Stations FTMFL... Be careful the next time you fill up!

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Last night I decided to fill my truck up. Here in Fl, we have a possible tropical storm coming so I wanted to make sure I at least had a full tank fo gas (to last me like 4 days...) I went to a local sation, swipe my card, and grab the 93 handle. I put 16 gallons of "fuel" in my truck and drive off.

I was sitting at the traffic light on my way home and notice the truck idling very rough. I baby the truck back home and pull into my driveway. I pop the hood and do my "oh shit what just happend" inspection and don't really notice anything out of the ordinary other than the rough idle. I begin to walk around the side of the truck to look underneath for any leaks when I get a huge wiff of diesel :shrug:... I was possitive I used the right handle (which I did because my reciept says "Product sold = Prem").

So I take my beater and drive back to the gas station to try to sort things out. I briefly explain what happend and the "kid" looks at me like whats the big deal and why are you bothering me. I then give him a quick shake down as to how detrimental diesel is to the fuel system of an unleaded vehicle. As soon as he realizes this isn't a problem that will just go away he gives me a phone number to call. It's about 8pm and he says the person will be there tomorrow to answer any "questions."

I call my buddy (knowfreed0m) who always seems to bail me out of crap. He makes a few phone calls and his g/f's dad says he will take care of me. So I call him today when I get home from class and he has a tow truck ready to come pick up my truck. So I get the truck to his shop and and before I leave he's already working on it (despite the fact that he was swamped with other work.)

On my way home from the shop I stop by the gas station to talk to some one and see a guy all dressed up in a button down shirt and another guy ina jump suit staring at the fuel tank fillers. I walk over and start talking to them. At first the guy pretends like he has no idea what I was talking about, but when I start asking for names and phone numbers he begins to cooperate. He would not give me a card but he did take down my information and said he would call me within an hour.

I go home and try to relax and wait for the phone call but nothing. So I do some interweb browsing and get the phone number to the florida department of agriculture. I give them a ring-a-ding and explain everything and the guy said he would send an inspector to the gas station. So I figured in about 2 or 3 weeks I would recieve a phone call from the inspector. Boy was I mislead, within 20 minutes the phone rings and the inspector says he spoke with the station manager and they confirmed that there was a "contamination." So I talk to the station manager and he tells me to take the truck to a shop and save all the reciepts because when its all done "I will take care of you."

So even though this has been a major inconvenience at a time when I am already busy with all sorts of sh*t, it turns out (so far) everything is going as good as possible.

UPDATE For those interested, see last post..

Last edited:

rust0r

Established Member
sucks about the truck, but if your friends g/f's dad is going to take care of it, might as well have him run up some bills for working on it and split the payment the station gives you between him, your buddy and yourself (yes its unethical and dishonest but i really don't care!)

Common

Established Member
Naw, the owner was very helpful and very nice to deal with, I think I'm going to do the ethical thing as long as his attitude doesn't change.

Up north, diesel and gas pumps are separate. Tanks are separate aswell.
Still don't understand how that can happen, contaminated gas?YES, diesel without you using the wrong handle? NO.

Mika

Established Member
Coming from south Florida, all I can tell you is keep your receipts, and remain adament(sp?) about them taking care of you. Remain courteous, but don't let off at all. Chances are they'll try to pull some shady crap on you later.

Mika

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Yea I'm not really sure how it happened either, they really would'nt reveal too much, said they were investigating it. But I did get one of them to hint at the idea that the wrong tank was filled. At this station they have a 87, diesel, and 93 handles all at one pump. I know for a fact I used the correct handle because the diesel nozzels are much larger and will not fit in the gas tank. Plus on my reciept where it says product sold it says "PREM." But we will see what happends and as always I remained courteous and I will continue to pursue it until I get some kind of reimbursement. I honestly am not looking to make money off this situation, as I said the owner was very polite and helpful, so as long as his attitude remains the way it has, I will go as easy on him as I can.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Yea I'm not really sure how it happened either, they really would'nt reveal too much, said they were investigating it. But I did get one of them to hint at the idea that the wrong tank was filled. At this station they have a 87, diesel, and 93 handles all at one pump. I know for a fact I used the correct handle because the diesel nozzels are much larger and will not fit in the gas tank. Plus on my reciept where it says product sold it says "PREM." But we will see what happends and as always I remained courteous and I will continue to pursue it until I get some kind of reimbursement. I honestly am not looking to make money off this situation, as I said the owner was very polite and helpful, so as long as his attitude remains the way it has, I will go as easy on him as I can.

That had to be it, not necessarily the store owner fault even though he is doing the right thing helping you out. Diesel is kept separately from gasoline tanks so the only possible way would be on the tanker side. Hopefully you get it worked out though, thats one hell of a bummer.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
sucks about the truck, but if your friends g/f's dad is going to take care of it, might as well have him run up some bills for working on it and split the payment the station gives you between him, your buddy and yourself (yes its unethical and dishonest but i really don't care!)

Auto mechanic- "We had to replace the roof of your car, it was peeling back, it resented the rest of the car, so we replaced that. Also we found a tiny unicorn in your exhaust. It was jumping around poking holes in your exhaust... and he was sh***ing in your filters, so we took care of that".

You- "Really? I did not know there was a tiny mythological creature jumping around in my exhaust, and sh***ing in my filters. How much is that gonna cost? 7000... I was gonna say I'd like to pay $7000. Thank you, thank you for f***ing me big time!

:lol:

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
That had to be it, not necessarily the store owner fault even though he is doing the right thing helping you out. Diesel is kept separately from gasoline tanks so the only possible way would be on the tanker side. Hopefully you get it worked out though, thats one hell of a bummer.

Yea, I agree, and from what I understand the oil distribution company "will" be picking up the tab, I just have to work through the gas station owner.

svtfocus2cobra said:
Auto mechanic- "We had to replace the roof of your car, it was peeling back, it resented the rest of the car, so we replaced that. Also we found a tiny unicorn in your exhaust. It was jumping around poking holes in your exhaust... and he was sh***ing in your filters, so we took care of that".

You- "Really? I did not know there was a tiny mythological creature jumping around in my exhaust, and sh***ing in my filters. How much is that gonna cost? 7000... I was gonna say I'd like to pay $7000. Thank you, thank you for f***ing me big time!

I actually looked for that damned unicorn but he wasn't there, however, I did find a polypeptide in the intake manifold...

UCBeau

sooooo...you made sure you had at least a full tank..meaning you'd have tried to have a more than full tank if possible? kind of confusing but that's the public education system :)

EZMachN

Established Member
Sounds like the same thing that just happened to my brother's truck(Chevy Colorado). He had a rough idle, ran like shit to the point where he couldn't even drive it far. But made it to the Chevy dealership and they flushed the fuel and put new spark plugs in. It works fine now, but cost $184. He didn't know if it was from bad gas or just truck breaking down.

This was in North Alabama last week.

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Hey which station is it? I dont wanna fill up there if that shit is going to happen to me.

It was at the U-Gas station off Griffin Rd and 75 in West Davie.

Good thing though that the station is gonna take care of your expenses, the truck should be up and running in a short time. I'll stop by the shop and check it out for you tommarow. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread