Gas leak

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
I just got my cobra about 3 weeks ago and I noticed when I fill it up gas pours out from under the car. When I looked I could see where the gas had come from, but not really sure how it's leaking there. It looks like it's coming from right below the top of the filler neck. I searched and it looks like there are a few people having the same problem, but I couldn't find a straight fix for it. Does anyone know a way to fix it??

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
its probably the rubber grommet that seals the tank where the filler neck goes into it. over time they dry rot and crack. you can get one from ford i think its like 15$. its only when you fill it all the way up correct?

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
its probably the rubber grommet that seals the tank where the filler neck goes into it. over time they dry rot and crack. you can get one from ford i think its like 15$. its only when you fill it all the way up correct?

Yep. About when you hear the fuel about the top, when you know the pump is about the kick off. That's when the fuel starts pouring out.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Its the grommet. I fixed mine last year. You can do it with the tank in the car, but its kind of a pain in the ass. Easier to drop the tank

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I had the same problem...everytime I made a left turn I would see gas [equivalent of GOLD at the time, $4.50/gallon] pouring out unto the road.

I just supported it from the bottom with a jack and then lowered the tank a little bit and fixed it. Now I stop pouring fuel unto the floor at the gas station!

b-radfromtheva

N.O.S.
Established Member
spillin gas to me is like goin from 1st to reverse, its a mustang(lol), but somebody told me it was pretty simple to replace, you just have to take the time(costs hardly nuthin), or just stop the pump when you hear it about to top off

Last edited:

zeus201

Established Member
How To Replace Fuel Filler Tube Gasket*pic's* - Mustang Forums at StangNet

had to do it on my v6 mustang and was pretty simple install until i ended up breaking the fuel filler neck. sort of sucked since the gasket is dirt cheap and the filler neck runs around 80 bones from tousley. it is a lot easier taking the time which isn't much to drop the tank and work on it that way.

i'm not sure but i remember that the gasket was only available at the ford dealership...

Last edited:

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll get my dad to pick up the gasket tomorrow when he gets to work. And thanks for the link, zeus.

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
yea droping the tank isnt that hard. when you have it down might as well replace the fuel filter also, as it is easier to get to with the tank down

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Yeah, get the fuel filler tube gasket from Tousley for cheap and then follow davis3's "how-to" guide over on Stangnet...

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
If I'm filling from an empty tank, I'm fine until I hit about half full. Then it starts dripping out the bottom the rest of the way. Kind of embarrassing actually, especially when you have people waiting behind you.

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
If I'm filling from an empty tank, I'm fine until I hit about half full. Then it starts dripping out the bottom the rest of the way. Kind of embarrassing actually, especially when you have people waiting behind you.

drop the tank and find out where the leak is coming from.....

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
yea droping the tank isnt that hard. when you have it down might as well replace the fuel filter also, as it is easier to get to with the tank down

umm..how is it any easier to do it with the tank dropped?? Its pretty much right in your face..

edit: nvm, I just realized that you have an IRS to worry about. :bash:

tito_146

Established Member
Had the same problem about a year or two ago. The simplest way to fix it is to drop the tank wait until your tank is almost empty to do the job. Use a jack and a piece of square wood to stabilize the tank. It is really simple.

Orlando

Users who are viewing this thread