Garage Lighting...?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
I did a quick search, didn't come up with much.

I just moved into a new house with a 4 car garage, and it only has 4 fixtures (with 60watt incandescent bulbs at that.) I have to assume the previous owner didn't do much in his garage. I have buddies with fluorescent lighting in their garages, and it's real nice. I was thinking about doing two fluorescent tubes per garage stall, one at the front and one at the rear. I don't have the exact measurements of the garage off the top of my head, but it's a pretty average size, maybe a little bit more depth than most garages. I've had a few people tell me to avoid fluorescent in the garage...what do you guys think? I want nice lighting for general working and detailing cars. Also, if you would suggest fluorescent, which bulbs? I know there are a variety, and I'm looking for the whitest light. What do you guys suggest?? Pictures of your setup/other nice garages would help if you could. :beer:

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
It really depends on how cold your garage will get during those cold Illinois winters as flourescent light bulbs have a difficult time starting and working efficiently in a cold environment. You can get special cold start flourescents that I have heard can help counter this problem. If your garage is insulated you may not have a problem. But I for one know that my garage gets extremely cold in the winter.

Paul

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
1st of all i would paint all the walls and ceiling white, it'll make a huge difference even with the regular light bulbs.
I would recommend cold start flourescents, they are pretty easy to install.
My garage is pretty damn bright at night.
0603nn5.jpg

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Make sure you also get the good kind of fluorescent fixtures too. My buddy had the cheap ones for about a year and then one day he had 4 out of 6's ends melt on him and drip on his Landcruiser and Lexus. Big buzzkill.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TERMIN8TR, that is an awesome garage! I love the floor and what you did with the decorations. Looks like you have the exact same brand garage door as mine. It's foam insulated, right?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
TERMIN8TR, that is an awesome garage! I love the floor and what you did with the decorations. Looks like you have the exact same brand garage door as mine. It's foam insulated, right?

Thanks Bob, I've changed it around a little since this pic, new cabinets etc...That's my "man space" the rest of the house is hers I guess. The door is insulated

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Nice garage TERMIN8TR...I've always loved your sig pic. The garage is insulated and heated, and the walls and ceilings are white...but I was thinking about painting the walls a light silver. So everyone pretty much is all in for fluorescent?

Make sure you also get the good kind of fluorescent fixtures too. My buddy had the cheap ones for about a year and then one day he had 4 out of 6's ends melt on him and drip on his Landcruiser and Lexus. Big buzzkill.

Which fixtures do you guys have/recommend? I saw some titanium garage style fixtures @ Lowes that looked pretty nice...

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
I personally use 6 high pressure sodium light fixtures I stole from work, they shine like the sun and light up my 1000 sq ft bay very nicely and they start at any temp which I love.

My old bay had fluorescents and and they worked good, I had about 40 tubes over 1000 sq ft but it worked, during the winter half would work and the other half would come on once the heater got the temp up. With an insulated attached garage I dont think you would have alot of problems with them coming on at 20 degrees outside temp.

I recommend a fixture with quality ballasts and construction as the cheap ones will leave you high and dry in short order. I have monster 300 watt clear bulbs in my basement and car park and they light they put out is absolutely outstanding, your 4 60 watts dont = what one of these bad boys puts out. The 300 watt incandescents cost about $6 each.

Dave I assume you are moving into this new crib with the folks ? Still in Kankakee ??

wvmystichrome

Established Member
It really depends on how cold your garage will get during those cold Illinois winters as flourescent light bulbs have a difficult time starting and working efficiently in a cold environment. You can get special cold start flourescents that I have heard can help counter this problem. If your garage is insulated you may not have a problem. But I for one know that my garage gets extremely cold in the winter.

Paul

Yeah we had to install those at the old building we were in. Especially around the ATM and drive thru lanes. Suckers worked well even below 0, but the replacements bulbs are expensive. They have a rectangular end instead of one or two pins. We had to replace them once a year. After they worked during the winter and then went thru a hot summer, the next cold spell doomed them.

I have regular flourescent fixtures from Walmart in my garage. I have two per stall but I need to add one more per stall. Even at below 30 degrees they still work just take a little time to warm up.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
I personally use 6 high pressure sodium light fixtures I stole from work, they shine like the sun and light up my 1000 sq ft bay very nicely and they start at any temp which I love.

My old bay had fluorescents and and they worked good, I had about 40 tubes over 1000 sq ft but it worked, during the winter half would work and the other half would come on once the heater got the temp up. With an insulated attached garage I dont think you would have alot of problems with them coming on at 20 degrees outside temp.

I recommend a fixture with quality ballasts and construction as the cheap ones will leave you high and dry in short order. I have monster 300 watt clear bulbs in my basement and car park and they light they put out is absolutely outstanding, your 4 60 watts dont = what one of these bad boys puts out. The 300 watt incandescents cost about $6 each.

Dave I assume you are moving into this new crib with the folks ? Still in Kankakee ??

No, moved out of Bourbonnais. Are the sodium lights you speak of bulbs that have a warm up time before they give full light output or not?

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
No, moved out of Bourbonnais. Are the sodium lights you speak of bulbs that have a warm up time before they give full light output or not?

Yes they do require a minute to get to full output, I have a bright motion light on the ceiling to help get the light switches in the darkness, love the motion light walk in the door or pull a car in and a light automatically turns on.

Good luck to ya.

WVFord

Established Member
Cover the ceiling with 1/2"-3/4" silver faced hard board insulation. Very light weight and easy to hang, the put your lights up. If you think you will use 4 fixtures add a couple more. I have eleven 2 bulb 8' lights in my garage and each one has its own switch. If I need more light I flip more switches, less light is sometimes needed as well.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
03AZRoush, interesting the far side has 2 fixtures mounted parallel with the door while the inner has both parallel and perpendicular. Is that 2 on the far and 3 on the inner or are there more hidden in the pic? Also I assume it's the same, flipped on the other side? Any particular reason for doing this?

Jefe

Established Member
It was so we could get in the crawl space and because the brackets to mount the garage doors would of been in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread