Garage lighting options......let's see them

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Guys, judging by your photos, you've got some serious lighting in those garages. You can never have too much light.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob, I totally removed my old 4 foot florescent fixtures and just replaced with a single screw in socket. No special fixture required. I think maybe the seller could be referring to removing the ballast if you were trying to install long tube florescent bulbs that resemble regular florescent bulbs in a existing fixture. Buy the way I have since replaced the ones in my wood shop with led, slightly different fixture. LED is the way to go. Just getting rid of the noise from florescent fixtures humming makes it worth it. Our main garage is only heated to 50 degrees and I haven't noticed any type of negative bulb performance like one would experience with florescent fixtures.
Okay, so this is why I asked the question about the socket size. Seems the corn cob bulbs with E39 bases won't fit a standard socket. 26mm diameter (regular) vs. 39mm diameter. I'm focusing on the E26 socket base.

There are 2 base types for corn bulb: E26 and E39.

E26 Base Bulbs
This is called as Medium Edison Screw or one-inch Edison Screw. It is the standard base for most of the bulbs. “E” stands for Edison, while 26 indicates the diameter of the base in mm. E26 is the standard base for 120-volt bulb, which is why they are mostly found in homes.

E39 Base Bulbs
It is normally referred as Mogul Edison Screw a sometimes known as Goliath Edison Screw. Similarly, the “E” stands for Edison and 39 is the diameter of the base. They are special because of their wide usage in industrial or farm applications. They are mostly used in factories, barns, and warehouses. The reason behind this is that it for the bulb with 250W in wattage.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
E39 Base Bulbs
It is normally referred as Mogul Edison Screw a sometimes known as Goliath Edison Screw. Similarly, the “E” stands for Edison and 39 is the diameter of the base. They are special because of their wide usage in industrial or farm applications. They are mostly used in factories, barns, and warehouses. The reason behind this is that it for the bulb with 250W in wattage.

And grow rooms.;)
E39 is the standard base for HPS and MH bulbs.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Mercury vapor bulbs require a ballast for proper voltage, and have the larger base socket to avoid confusion and add support due to the size difference. Here's a comparison of Mercury and a typical LED (on top of photo) you find in the average house fixture.
20211222_064423.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And grow rooms.;)
E39 is the standard base for HPS and MH bulbs.
Mercury vapor bulbs require a ballast for proper voltage, and have the larger base socket to avoid confusion and add support due to the size difference. Here's a comparison of Mercury and a typical LED (on top of photo) you find in the average house fixture.View attachment 1731901

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yeah, I was researching the size differences last night and found the same thing. Thanks for posting it. I found that many corn cob E26 base LED lights come with an E-39 adapter.

Have any of you who are using corn cob LED lights experience loss of directional light? I've seen a few warning videos that claim these corn cob lights only direct about 40% of the light downward when installed in a verticle position. Switching to a horizonal position greatly limits the downward light as well. What is your own experience when comparing the light from either an LED paddle style fixture or a mercury vapor bulb?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yeah, I was researching the size differences last night and found the same thing. Thanks for posting it. I found that many corn cob E26 base LED lights come with an E-39 adapter.

Have any of you who are using corn cob LED lights experience loss of directional light? I've seen a few warning videos that claim these corn cob lights only direct about 40% of the light downward when installed in a verticle position. Switching to a horizonal position greatly limits the downward light as well. What is your own experience when comparing the light from either an LED paddle style fixture or a mercury vapor bulb?
That's sort of the reasoning behind the paddle style, the first time I ever saw a corn cob light was replacing a MH light in a site light, I think their design is for a horizontal orientation.

LED's are more directional in their nature, if you want to, go to your local hardmore store and buy some corn cob lights and try them out. If you don't like them either take them back or sell them on craigslist.

If you have enough fixtures, you shouldn't have a problem with various LEDs throwing light in various directions. Not sure how much better it will be than with the paddle style. Those put out pretty good light.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Another thing to consider when shopping for lights/bulbs:
60w x 5 bulbs does not = one 300w bulb

Users who are viewing this thread