Garage flooring and color schemes

Stanger00

Established Member
Correct. Apparently Race Deck makes Motofloor but to different specs (Thinner and different webbing. Maybe material too?)

I'd skip motofloor and spend the extra on Racedeck

From what I was sent from Race Deck a different coating also. Motofloor stains easier and is harder to clean.

I priced the difference between Costco and Race deck and it's about $300 bucks when Race Deck is regular priced and Costco is on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beau t

Established Member
Pic--- finally got a pic to load epoxied floor grey with flake and tan walls

Attachments

• Car (2).png
    Car (2).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 138

Stanger00

Established Member
How tall is your ceiling?

Has to be more than 9'. Mine are 9' and a lift is out of the question and not to mention I have a tension slab poured foundation. There will no bolting or drilling into that.

I have considered max jack for simple brake, suspension and fluid changes.

Next home will for sure get a true shop like building for 4 post lift.

Beau garage looks tits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beau t

Established Member
How tall is your ceiling?[/QUOTE

12.3 and the lift is sitting about 2in off of the sheet rock. Hindsight i would of went 12.5

beau t

Established Member
Beau garage looks tits

Thanks!! If only i kept it that semi clean it would be awsome

96dreamer

Established Member
I used "epoxy coat" brand that I bought through Lowes and did the install myselft. I acid etched instead of grinding and I think it turned out great. It isn't perfect there were a hand few of bubbles and a spot or two where I spread it a little thin. I'm not easy on my floor. Several motor pulls, dragging jack stands and jacks, welding, grinding, chemical spills you name it iv'e probably done it to the floor. 3 years later it is still holding up awesome. Only two spots its chipped are where axles were dropped from about 1.5 feet up. Most recent picture I have is just after i finished doing the rock sliders on my jeep,floor is only swept off in the picture.

I'm planning on dry walling and doing silver 4ft bottom with black stripe and white everywhere else if i ever find the time. Floor is light grey with black and white chips. Signature picture is the floor about a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• 35903063873_0b5527ce5a_h.jpg
    35903063873_0b5527ce5a_h.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I just did my floors in "carbon brindle flake epoxy."

It looks amazing. I'll grab some pics of it. You can google image the finish.

About 4 bucks a square foot. I had it professionally done by Garage Experts of Roseville. Process included a diamond grind & hand grind the hard to reach areas of the floor, stem walls, and crack fill (I had very minor cracks). I own an older home so my concrete was really dry (built 1952) and perfect for epoxy. They rolled out the base coat which is a dark gray, let it set for a moment, and then aggressively cover it with 1" carbon flake. He let it set for about an hour, then scraped it, prepared some type of clear coat/resin and gave it two coats. I'm supposed to wait 24 hours before walking on it but I gave it three days just to be safe. Process all together took about 7 hours. He arrived around 7:45 am and was done by 2:30 pm.

edit to add photos:

Before:
IMG_7198_zpsqeaeoxzl.jpg

After the grind.
IMG_9980_zps60vn7g8s.jpg

IMG_9981_zpsbv1y0mnf.jpg

IMG_9985_zpsp7bp0ylj.jpg

IMG_9986_zpsmg1tc6e0.jpg

Stairs are getting a different treatment with some diamond plate and the wood is getting stained in walnut later this week when I have time.

Hope you guys like it. I sure do.

-lex

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I don't have pics but I did a light high gloss gray floor with "silver spoon" walls & a black toe piece. I did not put flakes in the floor as I find it hard to find dropped nuts & washers on floors with flakes.
I was going to say, it must be fun to drop a socket or wrench on this.

Rocket254

Established Member
For everyone that has done a coating, did you fill the expansion joints prior? How old was your floor before doing so?

beau t

Established Member
For everyone that has done a coating, did you fill the expansion joints prior? How old was your floor before doing so?

i did fill the expansion joints with whatever home depot sold to fill them? The floor was a couple of weeks old when done so a lot of prep wasn't needed cleaning up any spills.

Rocket254

Established Member
i did fill the expansion joints with whatever home depot sold to fill them? The floor was a couple of weeks old when done so a lot of prep wasn't needed cleaning up any spills.

And I'm guessing you've not had any cracks since then outside of the expansions? My slab is all just about a year old and I've been hesitant to fill them and invite a crack down the road because things settled a bit more.

96dreamer

Established Member
My house was built in 56' but the garage was an addition at some point im not sure how old. The garage had been abused before I got the house though, Stains chips cracks pitting. I filled the cracks with a self leveling caulk from lowes and the bigger chunks/ holes drilled I filled with vinyl concrete patch. I expected the cracks to still move a little which is why I did not fill them with a hard filler. The epoxy is cracking a little on the joints filled with the caulk but i expected that. Concrete expands and contracts so filling those joints with anything rigid would most likely result in blowouts.

beau t

Established Member
And I'm guessing you've not had any cracks since then outside of the expansions? My slab is all just about a year old and I've been hesitant to fill them and invite a crack down the road because things settled a bit more.

If you ask any concrete guy about this they guarantee 2 things --- 1 it will crack 2 ( not certain on this) will never stop curing ---- but back to your answer garage has been up for around 8 yrs haven't noticed any cracks in the garage, have noticed cracks in the driveway. On a different note my buddy that poured the concrete had me go back and wash out the expansion joints before sealing.

Famine

Established Member
This thread is perfect. I'm looking into my options as well. I actually wanted to make my garage floor kind of look like it was part of the interior of my house. I'm just not sure what materials I should avoid in terms of say tiles, grouts, woods, etc. I want longevity out of it ultimately. I was thinking of making it similar to dealership showrooms where I could have the reflective black or white (or combo) tiles. Still undecided however.

Users who are viewing this thread