Garage floor coating suggestion(s)?

whiplash306

Established Member
Curious guys - I've seen various posts, intermittently, reference some of the coatings that forum members have used on their garage floors as a sealant and protectant, etc….. However, I don't believe I've seen a thread specifically related to it. We're building a home right now and are about ready to move in. But before we do, we definitely want to coat the garage floor with something……suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.34.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 6.34.58 PM.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 655

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Two words.......FLOOR PREP if you're going to go with epoxy paint. Ask me how I know. :(

Vinyl tiles are an option, too, although not cheap.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Two words.......FLOOR PREP if you're going to go with epoxy paint. Ask me how I know. :(

+1 on floor prep. Also, way easier to do before oil, salt and other stuff gets embedded.

whiplash306

Established Member

+1 on floor prep. Also, way easier to do before oil, salt and other stuff gets embedded.
Are you guys referring to a specific product? ….or are you stressing the need to properly prep the floor prior to painting?

gaspasr

Established Member
Jarod, congrats on the new home! A few buddies have done the epoxy and are not too happy. Two of them have had "bubbling" that has been attributed from the heat transferred from the car tires. Don't know if that is a common thing or poor prep.

dmichaels

Established Member
Also very interested in this - I'd like to do my garage floor, and I need to do my basement floor as well. Prefer a nice coating on the concrete for both cases since we have cats that hang out in the basement and of course the car in the garage.

1 VET ETR

Established Member
The surface needs to prepped with a diamond grinder and then the product applied. If I had to do it over again I would do it myself and use the U-Coat-It system. That is really what I have now but had a company install it. I am a bit anal so I would have done a better job. The epoxy holds up to all the abuse I have put it through and cleans up well. I will always have epoxy floors in every garage I own!!! The first two pics are right after the floor was installed and the last is 5 years later.

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
The surface needs to prepped with a diamond grinder and then the product applied. If I had to do it over again I would do it myself and use the U-Coat-It system. That is really what I have now but had a company install it. I am a bit anal so I would have done a better job. The epoxy holds up to all the abuse I have put it through and cleans up well. I will always have epoxy floors in every garage I own!!!
Is there an easier way than what I'm imagining to prep a floor with a diamond grinder? I understand the idea behind it, but don't quite know of an easier method than getting on my hands and knees and prepping the entire 1,200 sq.ft. garage…..

SVTDarin

Established Member
As others have said prep is key, I know this from experience as I have worked in this industry. Besides that all you need to know is 2 words Polyaspartic Coatings.

1 VET ETR

Established Member
Is there an easier way than what I'm imagining to prep a floor with a diamond grinder? I understand the idea behind it, but don't quite know of an easier method than getting on my hands and knees and prepping the entire 1,200 sq.ft. garage…..

They make a machine for the process... just have to rent it. Should only take a couple hours to complete with the proper tooling.

Last edited:

SVTDarin

Established Member

Muriatic acid will etc the surface and then you can neutralize with ammonia, neither of which should be applied without diluting first.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I did my floor 2 years ago. This was a floor that had stains and other "imperfections". The other guys are correct in telling you, preperation is the key. I used Griot's Garage products. They have a stain treatment that is like pancake batter. Applied that and let it set for a few days. After that, I used muriatic acid to clean and etch the floor. I actually cleaned it twice with the acid. Then you mix and apply the coating. Quite messy and you want to get it laid down pretty quick, so have a game plan on how you are going to paint it on, ie what pattern to use. I just kind of poured some on the floor and just spread it out with the roller. So far it has been extremely durable. Let me know if you have any questions.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I did my garage floor two years ago with the rustoleum professional kit. My house was built in '79 and the garage floor was original, aged, ugly. Took a week to clean it, etch it, fill cracks, angle grind fills, and last but not least the drying time. Every time you get liquid on the concrete it requires a lot of drying time. Patience and the fact your garage will be unusable for car traffic is just a fact. Be prepared to store your baby some where else during this process. Prep, prep, prep, dry, dry, dry.....patience.

I etched the floor with this Behr 991 product. Worked great. Took me near 2 weeks to complete this job from first prep to last clear coat drying time. I layed down 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. My floor looks perfect after 2 yrs of use. No bubbling, no peeling.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/produc...m-concrete-and-masonry-cleaner-and-etcher-991

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
My builder used a Sherwin Williams epoxy kit, and I added an extra coating of Rexthane for clear coating over the top.

The best epoxy floor I've seen in person was epoxy-coat, but like others are saying its all in the prep and application, any good brand should work.

Every few months I mop the floor and it looks new again, no stains etc.

stanggarage1_zps8a3565ee.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread