Future Collectible or not?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
My insurance premium for my 99 cobra is 350 per year, for a 100k liability and a 12K car value. I'm limited to 7k miles per year and is insured under a "collectible" insurance company.

zPipes

Established Member
Probably Hagerty or Grundy. They specialize in restored cars, show cars, antiques. But there are strict limitations. Actually I dont think Hagerty takes cars this new. Maybe some other company.

e010740

Established Member
Also, the IRS, as much as it wheelhops, was only in the cobras during the 99-04 era and won't get into the GT's until 2015.
^This
People are very surprised when I tell them my 01 Cobra has a stock IRS. At some point (probably years from now) the Cobras that still have the IRS intact will become more desirable. There are also enough people that owned these cars when they were in their 20s & 30s that wish they had never sold them. As they age, and see these cars at auctions, and for sale on Ebay etc., the will want to have one again. This is what has happened to 60s muscle cars!

Loco03SVT

Established Member
Probably Hagerty or Grundy. They specialize in restored cars, show cars, antiques. But there are strict limitations. Actually I dont think Hagerty takes cars this new. Maybe some other company.

I work for Hagerty, so I'll clear the air on this misconception. We insure late model vehicles that are limited production, extensively modified or exotic vehicles.

In regards to future collectibles, the Cobra R's, 03-04 Terminators and new Boss 302's will be the future collectibles over the course of the next 20-30 years.

Unfortunately, the late model (2007 and newer) Shelby's will always struggle to be considered desirable collectables in the coming decades due to the shear quantities that have been produced.

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
01 last year of NA cobra:rockon:

I think there will one day be a market for these. It certainly won't stop me from doing what I want to mine, definitely will be a car well driven, but I think we could certainly see some models outside the obvious R line bring back some $$$ one day. The 01 is special in my eyes, limited production, documented builds, IRS and last of the NA's so far. Only time will tell, but I bet we all know someone who owned 60-70's car A, B or C that is now worth a bucket full of cash saying the same thing we are now...

What I imagine myself doing in 40-50 years from now, is still crusin' some old back roads with my lady just listening to the rare sound of a good ol' American built V8, till the day I die.

Love seeing old couples crusin their classic muscle cars without a care in the world. :burnout:

dbrennancobra

Established Member
1993 cobras are rare now, they were rare when made.. And will even be more rare 10-20 years from now, for all original stock low mileage cars.

IMO the 99-03 won't be worth anymore than they are currently. The terminators will continue to drop. Low mileage termis will hold value though.

The 93, 95 and 00 R's will double in value down the road.

In all these cars are for enjoyment, so start them up and take a ride, you only live once.. So what's the point of keeping one no miles?

Btw I drive mine 7-8 times a year.

SlowSVT

Established Member
From a performance and collectability perspective I think the Cobra R takes the cake even over the GT500. The 95 and 93 Cobra (in that order) would be next. The Terminator would be a close 3rd which is considered a "cult" car and has a huge following. The 99 and 01 would be next in the pecking order. Not sure where the GT500 would stand probably close to where a Terminator is. That car has been slated for 8 years worth of production, does anyone know how many have been already built?

Of all these cars I would take a Terminator .................. AGAIN! The GT500 is a better car but the 03/04 IMO is a better foundation to build on and has knockout looks! I think the NE is the best looking Mustang made to date including the S550 :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread