Future Collectible or not?

2k1svtcobra

Established Member
I'm just curious what people think about svt cobra's and their future to be collectable or not. Mustang's between '64-'70 are definitely collector cars (most models and years). '80's are hit or miss currently, mostly I see them selling of for cheap and same with lots of '90's mustangs. I believe all original '93,'03-'04 Cobra's & '95.'00 Cobra-R's will be future collectibles, but I'd like to gather some opinions on svt cobra's in general from '93 thru '04. They were all limited productions. Thanks! John

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm just curious what people think about svt cobra's and their future to be collectable or not. Mustang's between '64-'70 are definitely collector cars (most models and years). '80's are hit or miss currently, mostly I see them selling of for cheap and same with lots of '90's mustangs. I believe all original '93,'03-'04 Cobra's & '95.'00 Cobra-R's will be future collectibles, but I'd like to gather some opinions on svt cobra's in general from '93 thru '04. They were all limited productions. Thanks! John

not likely for 99% of the mustangs out there.

the ones that are MOST likely to be collectable

93 -

95 - last of the 5.0 push rods (this is probably the most speculative of my list)

cobra Rs

96 Mystic

04 Mystichrome

there were 19,000 cobras produced between 03 and 04 .. it will be a long time before anything other than the mystichrome will be "collectable" if ever.

shurur

Established Member
only three that I can see going up in value first.
1994-95 SVT cobra...last of the 5L pushrods and first of the "new" SN95 Body and a relatively short series.

and 1993 SVT cobra...last of the foxbody

If I were collecting ($$$$), that's what I'd look for.

Other stuff is too new and too many still.
I'm not sure where the 99-01 cobras will be as far a collectible mustangs go.
currently overshadowed by the Terminator..but maybe not so much in the "future"..after I'm dead;-)

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I don't think hardly any newer cars let alone are Cobras will ever be collectible. Limited production doesn't doesn't meant the same anymore. I mean look at the newer R32s, still made 5K of them. Plus the styling and materials used in cars now vs then, they just won't hold up the same. The again it's always the mistakes that bring in the big $$$$ and as far as Mustangs go, I can't thinks any bigger collection of mistakes than the 99 Cobra

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The only way I see a 99-01 Cobra, or even a Terminator for that matter, becoming collectible is if you have an unmolested, ultra low mileage (almost in the wrapper IMO) car that is in absolute mint condition - and even then we're talking years and years down the line. I don't see these vehicles pulling in money like classic muscle car restorations. It would either have to be 100% original or it won't be worth anything.

smitty2919

Established Member
Well you would be talking old muscle cars in the 60's and now 50 years later being a collectible.

With the evolution of cars, you have to wonder what a car will look like and be like 50 years from the current cars...so for a 04 cobra, 2054...

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think they will. Likely 25+ more years. Look at the 60-70's muscle cars.

They were cheap but still command decent prices today.

Doubt "collectible" as much as desirable...

1999 Cobra FTMFW....mistakes plus built in the 1900's.....

leegro1015

Established Member
I am going to go out on a limb here. But has anyone noticed their insurance premiums going up? I noticed my comp and collision Premium increase. Checked blue book and the value increased as well.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I am going to go out on a limb here. But has anyone noticed their insurance premiums going up? I noticed my comp and collision Premium increase. Checked blue book and the value increased as well.

My 99 sems to be holding after a few years of declining in resale...Haven't looked into the insurance change?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The only cobras that will ever keep their value or increase in value are the R models and the 93 cobra. All the other models, as the market shows, plummet in value. Even the mystic and mystichrome aren't worth big money. Cobras will always be worth more than GT's, but that is about it.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
The only cobras that will ever keep their value or increase in value are the R models and the 93 cobra. All the other models, as the market shows, plummet in value. Even the mystic and mystichrome aren't worth big money. Cobras will always be worth more than GT's, but that is about it.

This!!!!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
But what if every year another one of these threads comes up asking the same question about a mass produced assembly line car?

What will our cars be worth then?

lol just kiddin'

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I think given enough time the first ov the 4-valves (96-8) will be collectible, especially the Mystic, and the 98 yellow and BAB cars. They'll be sold commonly, like bellybutton SS Chevelles (67-72) and Camaros (67-9) on the virtues ov being one ov the first real 'hot' all-round car made in a long time. Its just a whole lotta car for the price i think, and a big step in the new HP wars. I dont think the 94-5 Cobras will be near as dear... based on what i see today. They just dont have the value. I'm not talking Hemicuda values here, but more like say a nice 67 fastback Mustang, or 70 350 SS Chevelle... a cheap way to buy into a 'classic' hot car.

As much as i like 'em, i cant see the 99-01's being worth as much down the road. The 4V was new and exciting in 96, but the 99-01's will always seem like 'the ones that came before the Terminators'. The 03-4's i think will be hot when these cars are old.

The Cobra R's, especially the 2000's, will be the true winners. Or if we go further down the road, the Shelby's or new Boss. If it all ends right now (the new HP wars), the Boss and the 662HP Shelby will be the new Hemicuda. But how far do we go? Given enough time a 84 4-banger auto will be worth a mint to the right guy...

Who'd have thought back in the late 80's/early 90's, when 5.0L Foxes were new, and we all hated the stupid little things, that we'd be calling them classic someday...??? I appreciate them now, mainly because its rare to see a cheap little car built to self-destruct survive in good shape, but i'll never understand how some ov them bring the money that they do.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Personally I think you are 100% wrong when it comes to the mystic and mystichrome. While they will not rocket up in value those colors were ONLY available on the Cobra and not on any other version of the mustang. and will never bee repeated on any version of the mustang, and that is the basis of my saying that down the road they will be "collectable". they have heald their value quite well compared to some of the others.

I could sell mine today for ust about what I paid for it almost 7 years ago.

50 Proof

Established Member
I could sell mine today for ust about what I paid for it almost 7 years ago.

In my experience owning various Mustangs throughout the years, there's a major difference between the advertised askng price and what buyers are actually willing to pay.

What you "think" you could sell yours for is not likely what buyers are willing to buy yours for.

The problem with mystics and mystichromes is that only a very small niche crowd of people will actually buy one. It took me forever to sell my 96 mystic and I didn't get anywhere near my asking price. Not to mention, the 96 mystics will eventually disappear completely due to the fact that the remaining stock of mystic paint is all that's left and all there ever will be. If that's not enough to scare off future buyers I don't know what is.

The only collector mustangs will be the 93, 95, and 2000 Cobra R. Every other Cobra is just another mass produced mustang. Cars are not investments. They are massive money pits that will never give you a return on investment.

zPipes

Established Member
Unfortunately I agree I dont think we have a collectible here. However, for me, this is my collectible, my #1. So for me, it will only go up in value.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
In my experience owning various Mustangs throughout the years, there's a major difference between the advertised askng price and what buyers are actually willing to pay..
considering the 04 has brought in 28K for more miles than I have on mine. i will stand by my comment.

by and large you are correct however.

The problem with mystics and mystichromes is that only a very small niche crowd of people will actually buy one. It took me forever to sell my 96 mystic and I didn't get anywhere near my asking price. Not to mention, the 96 mystics will eventually disappear completely due to the fact that the remaining stock of mystic paint is all that's left and all there ever will be. If that's not enough to scare off future buyers I don't know what is...
may be true for the 96 won't be true for the 04 IMHO
The only collector mustangs will be the 93, 95, and 2000 Cobra R. Every other Cobra is just another mass produced mustang. Cars are not investments. They are massive money pits that will never give you a return on investment.
you are correct cars are not investments and anyone buying one iwth that being the endgame is stupid. that does not change the collectability of them down the road however. it is very much a crap shoot whther any of these cars, including the cobra Rs you mention will be worth a dime down the road. I have said so many many times .... my position on that has not changed

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
It can be difficult to predict what certain cars will be worth down the road, and rare doesn't always equal high value.

One thing going for the cobras is they were a true SVT product and defunct divisions like that can have an affect on value. They even made separate dealer brochures for the cobras back then.

Also, the IRS, as much as it wheelhops, was only in the cobras during the 99-04 era and won't get into the GT's until 2015.

My opinion is that only low mileage, unmolested cobras will be worth anything, but the parts might be a different story. Look at Ebay, I know for me personally I'll have to get a second job to pay for any replacement part that says "SVT" on it, because the originals are all gone, and the parts are only original once.

Finding center caps, ambered colored tailights, or bumper covers is a nightmare. And if no new original parts can be introduced into the market, the price won't go down until the amount of cobras on the road go down. My car is well traveled, but any parts unique to SVT I hold on to for dear life and hope they never break. I guess our cars might be good organ donors down the road.

Last edited:

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
Collectable is prob not the word for it, but I do expect to see the prices of good condition 99-01s go up in the next 5-10 years.....there will always be a demand for these cars and 50 years from now a perfectly restored one may go for $25k......ha!

Users who are viewing this thread