FUNNY STORY

Elliotness

Established Member
Yesterday UPS delivered my Bassani catback. :-D I rounded up the troops, my two young sons, for some father son time working on the 03. We take our time installing the CB break for dinner etc. etc. We made a 1 1/2 hour job take about 2 1/2 hours. We spent more time talking then working.

Nontheless we get the catback on and every kid in the neighborhood is waiting to hear the new pipes. I fire it up and let it rip a few times, two or three revs. Freakin things sound awesome, I am hooked. :beer:

Anyway I take the boys for a trip to the local hamburger stand. On the way out of the nieghborhood I go long in first, to about 35 mph. The car is screaming. My sons are hootin and hollerin, top down of course. Get out on the freeway for a run up to about 85 :coolman: Well I return to my house and started walking to the neighbors house to return the two jack stands I borrowed.

Out of nowhere the old lady from the end of the block comes down the sidewalk screaming. "SLOW DOWN, SLOW DOWN, WE HAVE SPEED LIMITS AROUND HERE." :gt: Mind you the car is parked and the motor is off :dw: I look at her and say, "I wasn't speeding." She says, "I am a captain on the Sherriff's department, you were speeding." :gt: I look at her as she stands in front of me adourned in her slippers, nightgown and sleeping cap and say, "I don't see a radar gun in your hand :nonono:, have a nice evening." I walk away. As I am walking away she says, "I going to call a squad car to give you a ticket :gt:." My response, "Call them, you know where I live." :rollseyes She walked home and came back with a pad a paper and wrote my plates down. She says, "I am a Sherriff I am calling the Police." My friends and I sat outside waiting for the PO PO (Police for ya non-ebonics speakers). They never showed up. I put the car back in the garage and went to bed.

The incident reminded me of the Toyota Celica commercial. :lol: The one where the old man walks past the parked red Celica and shouts, "SLOW DOWN." Anyway, I really wanted the PO PO to show up. I really would have had fun with this one.

I wanted the car to sound mean :mj: . I ordered and installed the Bassani catback. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :thumbsup:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Make sure to take the baffles out if you haven't already.

That's an awesome story. I'd rev it up everytime I passed that woman's house. LMFAO

My neighbors request burnouts and pedal stomps every time I leave the house on the weekends.

I always drive slow because they have kids, but they'll grab the kids to clear the street and then yell "LIGHT 'EM UP!!".

So funny. :-D

Elliotness

Established Member
I think I will do just that. I did notice that there was white strands sticking out the ends of the pipes. Baffle material?

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Yes, I blew that baffle material out of one of my pipes for a couple days. Strange thing is that it was only on the drivers side pipe. :shrug:

donpablo

Established Member
Perhaps she just needs to have her pipes cleaned out?:shrug:

No, I'm not jumping on that grenade.

Great story.

DonPablo
in Kosovo

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If your exhaust is loud your are speeding. It's a known fact.

I use to get that crap all the time. My last house had a driveway about 100 feet from a main street. Just before the main street was a stop sign. Everytime I use to pull out of my driveway on to the main street I use to ride 1st gear to the stop sign (about 5000 rpms with flowmasters on a 98 cobra). One day the neighbor yells at me "SLOW DOWN!" mind you she is looking at me. I think it's a known fact when old geezers hear a loud exhaust, their eyes stop working and automatically assume you are speeding.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I tried the car first without the baffles and it sounded great, but when you are on the highway doing about 80, it feels as if you have a Cypress Hill CD on with two 15 inch woofers turned all the way up ;) It's not that bad, but it was just a little too much drone for me. I loved the way people jumped off of the side walks into the grass when I passed them by on the street though ;)

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I had an opposite experience right after I got the Cobra. Had an old lady, complete with black dress and wicked witch of the West shoes come up, ask me to rev the motor, and then wanted a ride. She wanted me to "let 'er rip" on the residential street. I took her up on the highway, asked if her Depends were on (they were), and gave her a thrill. Now she always waves hi when I'm washing / waxing / driving by. It takes all kinds.

warren

Established Member
i get the dirty looks everytime i drive down my block, (once a week) and they run and grab there kids even if there on the sidewalk!! and im only driveing 5-10mph! and if i rev the engine they will stand there with there arms crossed and stare at me until i drive by. so now if there stareing at me and the coast is clear i slip the tires and i can tell there about to have a brain hemerage by the looks on there face!!
lol

Long Road

Established Member
Originally posted by warren
and if i rev the engine they will stand there with there arms crossed and stare at me until i drive by.

it is also fun to continue going slow with the loud exhaust at high rpm as you drive by and give them this

Elliotness

Established Member
Probably would have told where she could put her telephone call to the PO PO if my son wasn't standing right next to me. However, it turned to out to be fun without telling her off.;-)

You should have seen her writing the plate down. It was hilarious, pen and pad in hand bending over behind the car to write the plate down. My friends and I were laughing at her from across the street.

It was priceless.:coolman:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
same thing happened to me but this lady jumped out in front of my car, rake in hand. then kept going on about the speed limit being 15 and calling the cops. so i show up with the drivers ed book and show her thats its 30 but she still is going to call the cops. then her son shows up asking whats going on she tells him and i show him the book (the book says urban driving) and in his exact words "this isn't urban, its residential." I laughed then drove off. Later did i see that right next to their house is a 30 mph speed limit sign:lol1: . after all that she goes to work and tells all her friends that her co-workers son (my friend who was with me) is hanging out with a bunch of no good hooligans. So now i do all the drive by in first going 30 stuff, and its fun.

FearblueR1

Established Member
I don't want to be the one to bust any bubble. But from looking at the tips on your exhaust, it looks like a 2001 -2002 system. Not the 4 " tips that come with the 03 system. I've been told that the mufflers are alittle different for the 03 system also.

Maybe its the angle of the picture. Or maybe you ordered it that way. Just figured I'd let you know. :beer:

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by FearblueR1
I don't want to be the one to bust any bubble. But from looking at the tips on your exhaust, it looks like a 2001 -2002 system. Not the 4 " tips that come with the 03 system. I've been told that the mufflers are alittle different for the 03 system also.

Maybe its the angle of the picture. Or maybe you ordered it that way. Just figured I'd let you know. :beer:

You are very observant. Actually the Bassani exhaust was still in the box. I took the pictures before the install ;-) Thanks for watching my back. :coolman: The 4" Bassani tips are nice. :beer:

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I was gonna say that's the before picture. hehhehehhe

You can tell because the tips are way too small, and the wrong angle, and don't have the writing. :)

Fang

Established Member
So that is what I have to look forward to. Can't wait to see what happens. I live in a neighborhood with all old retired people. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread