Funky noise 2013 Shelby Gt 500

captkevin1

Established Member
I have a mere 280 miles on my new Shelby GT500. They were all exhilerating until last night while driving home at the speed limit. Cruising At about 2300 RPM in 3rd gear @60 mph, the car started making a loud baffling noise like I was dragging a large plastic bag. It went on for about 30 seconds and then became a milder rattle noise. I turned into a parking lot and attempted to recreate the noise but it was just a slight clacking sound only when in gear and then it went away. It sounded like it was coming from the tail-pipe but I am unsure. Nothing felt wrong and there was zero change in performance. It went on long enough to be real. I have heard of clutch issues relative to the flywheel with new Shelbys. It almost seemed like it was misfiring but like I said, there was zero feedback in acceleration or in feel. The best example I can come up with is that it sounded like a loud and prolonged fart...Sorry, but that is the best analogy I can come up with. Anyone have any ideas?

captkevin1

Established Member
Zero...that actually makes a great deal of sense. One of the scenarios I considered was a partial delamination of the carbon fiber driveshaft. I have not lifted the car yet but that will be my first check. Do you know how big this sticker is/was? That coincides with the plastic bag theory also. I sure hope that is all it was.

Zeroescence

Established Member
Zero...that actually makes a great deal of sense. One of the scenarios I considered was a partial delamination of the carbon fiber driveshaft. I have not lifted the car yet but that will be my first check. Do you know how big this sticker is/was? That coincides with the plastic bag theory also. I sure hope that is all it was.

It appears like it is 2+ inches wide. I sure do hope that helps. Good luck Sir.

Last edited:

WAL

Established Member

Here's a picture of one of the Edmunds guys removing the sticker from the driveshaft on their test vehicle. (Go to page 9 of their photo gallery.)

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-cross-country-road-trip.html

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Cross-Country Road Trip

Last edited:

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member
I have a mere 280 miles on my new Shelby GT500. They were all exhilerating until last night while driving home at the speed limit. Cruising At about 2300 RPM in 3rd gear @60 mph, the car started making a loud baffling noise like I was dragging a large plastic bag. It went on for about 30 seconds and then became a milder rattle noise. I turned into a parking lot and attempted to recreate the noise but it was just a slight clacking sound only when in gear and then it went away. It sounded like it was coming from the tail-pipe but I am unsure. Nothing felt wrong and there was zero change in performance. It went on long enough to be real. I have heard of clutch issues relative to the flywheel with new Shelbys. It almost seemed like it was misfiring but like I said, there was zero feedback in acceleration or in feel. The best example I can come up with is that it sounded like a loud and prolonged fart...Sorry, but that is the best analogy I can come up with. Anyone have any ideas?

Edmunds had it for a cross-country tour did have a similar problem..

http://www.insideline.com/car-pictures/fe_5301249.html

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Get your butt under the car after you jack it up and make sure its cooled down. I posted this issue in my thread as a warning, not everyone read it. The problem is what is described and pictured by everyone here. Mine did it too and thats what it is...so remove it and you will be ok. Also look around for any other tags that were left behind

captkevin1

Established Member
Sounds like a similar situation. Gonna jack it up tomorrow. I will post my findings. SVT might want to reconsider putting stickers on a part that spins at break neck speed near red hot exhaust pipes. All for a barcode? Reminds me of that tag on a mattress.

captkevin1

Established Member
SURE AS @#%&!!! I could not wait and grabbed a beer and flashlight and went out to the garage and squeezed my fat ass under the butt of the car and the sticker was hanging there... already ripped off, turned inside out and barely stuck to the bottom gas tank. iGuess that sticker will go in the binder with all the window stickers. This one at least has a story behind it. Maybe in 20 years, just having that sticker will be a bonus.

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Glad it was just a sticker, next time just take it to the dealer and let them worry about it for the next few years....

BrettR

Established Member
That happened to me as well I was leaving on a road trip and I just passed my dealer when I heard the noise pull in to a gas station at the next exit my friend looked under the car and said it looked like the drive shaft was splintered. So I took my chances and drove to the dealer (luckily it was only a mile away but took forever going 20mph down the hwy) they put it on the lift and we found a sticker.pulled it off and never heard the noise again. It was a great relief. Hope this helps good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Karl

Krazy Karl
Established Member
Funny sh*t same happened to me on the freeway, pulled over and couldn't find anything after a mile or two it went away. Next day found the tag on garage floor!!!! And the beer ALWAYS helps!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

rwboring

Established Member
ha! same thing happened to me after I got the oil changed... I thought they didn't get the plastic cover on right... It stopped after a decent amount of miles (i was on a road trip), I messed with the plastic cover but couldn't find anything, I bet mine is gone!

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
Thanks for sharing all the info - I will try to have the dealer remove that from mine when it arrives. Great info guys.

Zeroescence

Established Member
SURE AS @#%&!!! I could not wait and grabbed a beer and flashlight and went out to the garage and squeezed my fat ass under the butt of the car and the sticker was hanging there... already ripped off, turned inside out and barely stuck to the bottom gas tank. iGuess that sticker will go in the binder with all the window stickers. This one at least has a story behind it. Maybe in 20 years, just having that sticker will be a bonus.

Glad that was the problem. Have fun and be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread