Fun SUV

Massie02GT

Established Member
Alright all - I need some ideas and input here.

Moving to San Antonio in 1 1/2 weeks. Just sold my 2013 F150 FX4 that was lifted 4” on 33” mud tires, and will look to pick something up in SA when I get there.

I think I’d like to try some kind of sporty SUV this time, and that’s where y’all come in.

I’ve looked at and found an SRT Jeep that I’m going to look at if it’s still available when I get there. Have also searched for Trailblazer SS’s, but haven’t found much.

What ones am I missing?

Requirements:

- Room for 2 car seats, 1 rear facing.
- $35k TOPS. Less would be cool.
- Fun. This is key. I’m so tired of daily driving something boring. I’ve been in lifted trucks my whole life and I’m ready for something quicker on the daily.

So...other than SRT Jeep and Trailblazer SS...what should I look at?

Thanks!!

_Snake_

Established Member
1. Audi SQ5
2. GMC Typhoon
3. Ford Exploer (tuned Ecoboost)
4. Any other V8 SUV that you can supercharge

BlackHrtStang

METAL!
Established Member
My wife and I bought an infinity qx70s. It's on the g37 chassis, rear or all wheel drive. Little man is 1 and in a rear facing seat. Its kinda tight. Luckily the wife is real small so she sits on the side with the car seat. They even had a v8 one as well but seem to be super rare. The v8 had over 400hp but was all wheel only. I avg about 20mpg out of the vq v6.
IMG_20181005_111608.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

02Toner

Established Member
I just went through this same search. I backed out on the Trailblazer SS after realizing the issues with the transmission and transfer case. They also didn’t age very well in my eyes.

I just picked up an 07 Jeep SRT8 with 60k miles and I absolutely love the thing. The 6.1 and NAG 5 speed have proven to be a reliable and fun combo. 2 car seats (one rear facing) fit fine. Not a ton of extra room but it gets the job done. My 2.5yr old son absolutely loves the AWD launches. He thinks it’s a riot.

A 300 mile trip home from picking it up wielded 17.5 mpg @ 75mph. I’m now averaging 14/15 real world mpg. Not great, but I needed to mix in some fun into my commute. It already has a cold air, so I’ll probably do some exhaust work, get a custom tune for it, and call it good.

28a766746d41cc65b9f6b3c878397142.jpg
750b69f518b90afc8b61ec0c9462f38d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massie02GT

Established Member
I just went through this same search. I backed out on the Trailblazer SS after realizing the issues with the transmission and transfer case. They also didn’t age very well in my eyes.

I just picked up an 07 Jeep SRT8 with 60k miles and I absolutely love the thing. The 6.1 and NAG 5 speed have proven to be a reliable and fun combo. 2 car seats (one rear facing) fit fine. Not a ton of extra room but it gets the job done. My 2.5yr old son absolutely loves the AWD launches. He thinks it’s a riot.

A 300 mile trip home from picking it up wielded 17.5 mpg @ 75mph. I’m now averaging 14/15 real world mpg. Not great, but I needed to mix in some fun into my commute. It already has a cold air, so I’ll probably do some exhaust work, get a custom tune for it, and call it good.

View attachment 1625376View attachment 1625377

Thanks for that reply! I have the same concerns about the SS and really haven’t been dead set on them. The SRT is definitely my top choice. I found a ‘14 with 62k miles for just over $31k. If it’s not available once I get there, I’m going to keep searching.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for that reply! I have the same concerns about the SS and really haven’t been dead set on them. The SRT is definitely my top choice. I found a ‘14 with 62k miles for just over $31k. If it’s not available once I get there, I’m going to keep searching.
That's a good price for the miles, and of course it looks and rides well

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Bought my wife a EDGE ST
To me it’s “funner” to drive compared to my trackhawk.
Trailblazer SS are fun if you can find one w low miles.
Lots of SRT Jeeps out there too

Last edited:

02Toner

Established Member

Ya, if you’re looking at WK2’s the 2014+ with the 8 speed are definitely the way to go. The interior is definitely an improvement over the WK1. I just couldn’t justify the price difference. Either way, they are a blast on the street.

That 14’ with 62k is a good deal at $31k. The other big plus is the resale seems to be very good if the Jeep is taken care of. That definitely factored into my decision as well.

I thought about Ford options too, but I wanted a big reliable V8. Cant beat the sound and presence.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Want to spend about half that and get twice the mpg and more torque than the SRT8? Look at the BMW X5 35d, 3.0l twin turbo inline 6 diesel. Deleted and tuned the M57 is just nasty. My 335d makes around 550 tq with just deletes, JR2.5 tune, and a couple bolt-ons while still getting 35 mpg on my 80 mile work commute. The X5s don't get the same mpg but aren't far off.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Explorer Sport with a few mods would be real fun. Plus you can get it with the third row which is a bonus when you have double car seats eating up the second row. Throw in the relative cheap parts/maintenance/upkeep and the extra money saved and it’s a pretty good deal.

GodStang

Established Member
You took my recommendation. I had a 335d and loved that car. The X5d are awesome with a tune and delete and straight move out.

Want to spend about half that and get twice the mpg and more torque than the SRT8? Look at the BMW X5 35d, 3.0l twin turbo inline 6 diesel. Deleted and tuned the M57 is just nasty. My 335d makes around 550 tq with just deletes, JR2.5 tune, and a couple bolt-ons while still getting 35 mpg on my 80 mile work commute. The X5s don't get the same mpg but aren't far off.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol at all the Euro recs.

SRT Jeep with boost or nitrous.

/thread
I agree, and think he’s already found “the one”. The GF has a 17 WK2 and it’s simply a nice vehicle...3.6 with 8spd moves well for what it is. Also, since it moves so well, I’m bout to level it and enlarge the tires so it behaves like a real jeep...slowly lol.

I’m currently fighting the urge to pickup a used trackhawk, and now going to head over to research boosted SRTs...thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread