Full Size SUV Recommendations

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
2000-2003 (not 2003.5) Excursion with the 7.3 or V10. 6.8L is THRISTY especially if you get the 4.30 axles, but mechanically they are pretty decent. Keep a few spare cam sensors and a 10mm socket and ratchet in your glove box for the 7.3 Powerstroke and you should be solid.

Some parts are starting to get hard to come by though for the 1st gen Super Duty and Excursions so thats something to consider.

venmos1

Established Member
I'm on various Dodge forums (Challenger, Durango.net, etc) and I've heard very little to no issues about the current gen 5.7.

My R/T is a 16 with 26K miles. It sees WOT multiple times a day, pretty much every day. Rock solid. No tick, no issue. Even in Chicago heat, the 5W20 is fine. At one point, I ran Amsoil 5W30 for a while, but, $100 oil changes got old after a few years.

Great buddy of mine has a 2013 Charger R/T with the 5.7 and it has well over 100K miles. He beats the ever living **** out of it. The only problems he has had were the front control arms going out. No tick, oil consumption, etc.

It just seems like people are implying that every other 5.7 produced no matter the car/SUV/Truck, they hav issues. That really is not the case.

Besides, a tick in th engine seems normal to me, since I've owned nearly every gen Mustang since 1999+ and all of them had a "tick" at some point, despite the cars running awesome.

Love my second row captains, wouldn't trade them for a bench no matter what.

it seams as though the harder they are driven the better they are. Like i said, hot idling is bad for them. Cold idle im at 53 or so psi, hot idle ill see a low around 40. Ive read people saying they are below that. I disagree that the tick is normal. if it was normal some wouldnt do it while others do. Also, why would oil type change an engine from ticking to not ticking if its normal? Like i said, i do like this engine and hope mine lasts. I kick myself for not buying the right truck to keep for the long haul (no lsd, 321 gearing). mine is a sport that has everything i could want in a truck (leather, heated seats/wheel, cooled seats, nav etc). If it were the right truck i would not mind throwing a hotter cam in if she went. That with a jay greene pcm and tcm tune and it would be one hell of a set up.

Users who are viewing this thread