Full pillar gauge review

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
This subject seems to be coming up again, so I'll post my review of the full pillar gauge setup.

For those thinking of going with another boost gauge, a NOS, Volt/Amp(don't have one stock), temp, etc, here's an option.

I went with a boost and A/F gauge. I'm glad I didn't go with the 3 gauge setup because it would have been just too much. The 2nd gauge is already close to your face, but it's OK. Especially since it's the boost gauge.

The A/F gauge is really a waste of money. It's looks cool and all with the colors going crazy, but it's doesn't tell you much. It's really a 1 volt LED meter. I should have gone with a volt or another temp gauges. Another subject.

This setup is pretty sweet. I thought about the dash pod setup, but this looked a little more SUPERCHARGED looking and it kept the dash stock looking. Both look good. There is also the single pod on the top of the column that looks good.

The pillar is probably the hardest to install with drilling and such. You can get a 2 pod holder that attaches to the stock pillar but it looks a little to funky in a 35-40K car. Go for the extra 20 bucks and get the full.

Some key points.

1) The full pillar comes in black. I bought some gray paint that I thought was close. Close, but not quite. Solution, PAINT THE OTHER pillar on the passenger side. Problem solved. It looks a lot more black in these pictures than it really is.

2) Trim the factory pillar cover on the edge about an 1/8 of an inch on the window side before putting the new one over it. This will completely hid the OEM cover. I even painted the OEM cover just incase any of it was seen. Can't see it at all.

3) Be careful with the clips on the OEM covers. They break easy.

4) On the gauges, get the add a circuit from Auto Zone. Makes for a sweet install. I trimmed the factory cover to go back on over the fuse block. A coleman suggestion that was excellent.

5) Some go behind the glove box for the boost gauge. Not needed. Picture attached. Get the 7/64 3 way vacuum tee. Fits perfect and easy to install.

6) Use some tape on the boost fitting. Teflon.

7) The wire for the A/F to the PCM is a piece of cake.

8) The lights in the gauges are a little brighter than the factory. I'm going to get an inline 12v 5 amp rheostat to drop down the voltage for the lights to make them even.

Mac...

pillar3.jpg

pillar2.jpg

pillar1.jpg

pillar.jpg

Oh ya, one last thing. The grain is a little different than OEM. Not life threatening, but not exact. If I can live with it, anyone can. I'm pretty particular about these things.

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Everything is Auto Meter... JEG'S was the best prices I could find.

105-12120 94-99 Mustang, Dual Gauge 2-1/16'', Hard Top Only $49.99

105-4103 Boost 30 InHg/30 psi
Includes 6 ft of nylon tubing plus 1/8'' & 1/4'' NPT fittings. Product $69.99

105-4175 Air/Fuel Ratio
Works with most OEM and aftermarket oxygen sensors. If sensor is needed, order #105-2244. $79.99

Auto Zone for the little parts. Vacuum tees, Add A Circuit, Zip ties, etc.

The paint was also from Auto Zone. Med Gray for a import. 3.49 a can. Dries in about 10 minutes and covered great.

Mac....

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
How well does it fit? I heard that the A pillar is too different in the '03, to be able to use another year's A-pillar. Is this not the case? Would it be any different for a convertible?

Thanks again for the info! I did this in my '97 Cobra convertible, when I put the Vortech in it. I liked a lot, and wouldn't mind doing it again!

I just noticed....."F-body"?

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
It fits PERFECT! The only thing is the grain is A LITTLE different. You would have to be looking to notice. You CAN NOT tell there is another pillar under this one. Yes, you see the cute little plastic pins, but they look factory...

Mac

I corrected the part number on the pod.. Thanks......

They don't list a full pillar for the ragtops...

Only this,

105-10125 94-00 Mustang Conv. $25.99

Last edited:

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
John,

The pillars do look darker in these pictures than they are, but they are darker than the stock color. With both pillars the same color, it looks like factory. Actually, I like the darker look with the black car..

Hope this helps, and the grain is no big deal.

Also, I would probably go with a AMP/VOLT gauge if I had to do it over. Cheaper also....

Mac...

jtfx6552

Established Member
Curious about where you attached your add-a- circuits? I added mine to the dash light fuse (Fuse number 37), so that the factory rheostat controls the after market gauges as well as the dash lights. Not sure if connecting to there would solve your "too bright " problem or if you are already hooked up there.

Anyway my boost gauge install page is here:
http://users.erols.com/drfunky/pages/Boostgauge.html
JT

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
I used the same spot for the lights. What I was referring to was, even with the gauge lights on the same circuit as the dash lights, they are still brighter. I want to see if lowering the voltage in-line to just these gauges will help.

The other wire is power for the A/F gauge.

What was your second gauge?

Mac

coleman

Established Member
jtfx6552, thank you for those on-line pictures. i made my MODs quite a few weeks ago and your images made it possible -- or, at least easier!

edslowey

Established Member
Great minds think alike...I've had mine in for about a week now. I really like the 2-guage a-pillar setup. I put in an EGT guage instead of the A/F, otherwise same as yours. It's really nice to be able to see exactly what your boost is doing under different driving conditions. The a-pillar matches pretty good as is. The difference in the grain is hardly noticeable, IMO. I'm going to experiment with some resistors to find a value that makes them match the brightness of the stock guages. I'll post that when I figure it out.

Ed

n0xlf

Established Member
I emailed the guy at lo-tek engineering (gaugepods.com) to see if he either had or would make a 2 gauge version for the 03 Cobra... He lists one for a regular vert, but it is also a 3 gauge version...

The site also mentions that he will custom build with 20+ orders (group buy anyone?)...

I had a 2 gauge version for my former Eclipse and was very impressed...Color and texture matched perfectly...

I'll let everyone know what he says...

Blades

Established Member
thats freakin awesome edslowey.. hope you find that resistor. Could you integrate it into the variable resistor that adjusts our SVT gauges?

whats an EGT gauge btw?

svo1990mustang

2.3 + turbo = fun
Established Member
Originally posted by Blades
thats freakin awesome edslowey.. hope you find that resistor. Could you integrate it into the variable resistor that adjusts our SVT gauges?

whats an EGT gauge btw?
EGT stands for Exhaust Gas Temperature it measures the temperature of the exhaust gas ;-)

Have any of you guys thought about hooking those aftermarket guages into the rheostat?? Just a thought!

Darryl

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Have any of you guys thought about hooking those aftermarket guages into the rheostat?? Just a thought!

They are already. The problem is the lights are brighter than the OEM gauges. They will adjust up or down with the other gauges, but they are always just a little brighter than the OEM.

I thought of something for the folks that did the POD replacement. They can put the factory dimmer in the open slot on the new pod and us this dimmer for the add on gauges.

36 bucks for the switch....

Mac...

edslowey

Established Member
Originally posted by Blades

whats an EGT gauge btw?

Thanks! As noted earlier, EGT=exhaust gas temp=Pyro guage. It is a way to infer lean/rich mixture in a more quantitative way than an A/F guage (IMO). Basically I installed it, tuned the A/F ratio with a wideband O2 on the dyno with a custom chip, then noted EGT for various driving conditions. Like right now 2300 rpm in 6th = ~1100 degrees. If I change something on the car that changes th A/F ratio, the temp will change. Hotter=leaner up to peak EGT lambda=1, then decreasing on the lean side of peak towards too lean and detonation.

And yes, the rheostat for the stock guages dims the aftermarket guages also. They just need a resistor to knock the voltage down to the point where they match the stock ones, which are dimmer at full bright setting.

Brad

Banned
I want to do A pillar gauges, but I have a convertible. Anyone have any info on a setup like this for a convertible?

SB 03

Established Member
Mac, do you have a 1st run cobra or a 2nd run, I heard the a pillar is different on 2nd run cobras

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
1st run.....

I have to say, driving at night with the light show of the A/F(useless but looks cool) and the boost gauge is awesome! You feel like your in a F14....

By the way, the boost gauge is the only way to go. I see others are trying to modify the OEM gauge for added boost. That's cool, but this gauge will tell you to the pound where you're at and you can also see any drop. Plus you have the vacuum gauge.

My boost gauge hits 12-13 and just STICKS right there!

Mac

Last edited:

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Looks very nice!!

Originally posted by n0xlf
I emailed the guy at lo-tek engineering (gaugepods.com) to see if he either had or would make a 2 gauge version for the 03 Cobra... He lists one for a regular vert, but it is also a 3 gauge version...

The site also mentions that he will custom build with 20+ orders (group buy anyone?)...

I had a 2 gauge version for my former Eclipse and was very impressed...Color and texture matched perfectly...

I'll let everyone know what he says...

I bought a 3 pod from them for my 98 and it was nice but needed some filing done to it to get it to fit. They said that the same pod would fit 96-01 and the 01 V6 we have looks like the same pillar as the 03 but I have not compared them off the car. Sad thing is the vert pillar will not work on the coupe...so I'll need to get another one so I can get a voltage guage and who knows what else.

Users who are viewing this thread