fuel tank is cracked underneath the hat on the inside of the tank

hookandpull

Established Member
Looks to me like I am actually leaking fuel through the screw holes so I fealt on the under neath side of the tank and felt the bumps the enclose the screws and felt some rough edge cracks. Any one else ever have this problem?

hookandpull

Established Member
Well figures my demon of a car would be the one to have a one off problem like this.... Ill see if I can get some picture with a mirror and post them in this thread to hopefully help anyone in the future. I am very lucky to find this problem because I would have never thought to feel for cracks inside the tank where you mount the hat.

TRBO VNM

Depending on how the separation is, I am wondering if whoever installed the hat if the pumps bottomed out on the tank, pushing the mounting location up and causing the crack. I would think it would have to be pretty extreme to separate it, but who knows.

hookandpull

Established Member
Installed the hat. Its the fore triple hat and wasnt bottoming out, but nothing ever seperated. You can feel hair line fractures where the tank forms around the screws from the inside of the tank. Its really hard to explain.

Blueline

Established Member
It sounds like the bolts were a hair long and pushed through the recessed area. You can pick up a putty at autozone or something for metal tank repair. I would putty it to fill the cracks then use I believe it's POR 15 which is an epoxy resistant to fuel. Use the epoxy to seal all around the putty and around the inside of the tank to seal any cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hookandpull

Established Member
There is a permatex fuel tank crack filler made specifically to be applied even when there is wet fuel on the surface.

Blueline

Established Member
Yeah permetex makes one. It was actually PC-7 the stuff I was referring too. It will work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookandpull

Established Member
you ever deal with "Magnum instant gas tank repair"? That is the only one I can come up with locally. It will work on surfaces that are already coated with fuel and you dont need to drain the tank. It has metal filler in it like JB weld as well.

Users who are viewing this thread