Fuel System Mods....

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I think I am going over to E85.... Anyone know how many ponies the stock fuel pump with a BAP is good for? Also, how many RWHP will the stock fuel rails and lines support?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
You need a new fuel pump(pump's) to run E85 with a car of your power. Stock pump with a BAP is good for about 700whp with normal gas.

Bud

Established Member
The rails should be fine, I was on the stock roush ones. Have the 47's reworked to flow more, wire in a BAP and then throw it on the dyno and start making some pulls in X rpm increments watching the A/F's. See how far you can get :)

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
The rails should be fine, I was on the stock roush ones. Have the 47's reworked to flow more, wire in a BAP and then throw it on the dyno and start making some pulls in X rpm increments watching the A/F's. See how far you can get :)

Gotta agree with this. Cant hurt to try the stock pump and see where it craps out(if it craps out). Up here since we are losing so much HP you might be OK.

Edit: did anyone ever verify if the 2013 GT500 duel pump set up could easily be put in our cars? That might be the way to go if the pumps can handle the E85 without having the seals dissolve. IF they can handle it that should be a pretty cheap and effective way to go E85. Me, I'm just going Meth, but then I wont have a PD blower like you guys.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member

I know dude! I told Rob lets drain the damn tank and see where we are right now! I'd love to have the 47s reworked as its the cheapest option, but everybody seems to think the ID1000s are the ones to get because they are so easy to tune. I would guess with just a BAP and injectors I would be fine here. No intentions to run E85 anywhere but CO.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Gotta agree with this. Cant hurt to try the stock pump and see where it craps out(if it craps out). Up here since we are losing so much HP you might be OK.

Edit: did anyone ever verify if the 2013 GT500 duel pump set up could easily be put in our cars? That might be the way to go if the pumps can handle the E85 without having the seals dissolve. IF they can handle it that should be a pretty cheap and effective way to go E85. Me, I'm just going Meth, but then I wont have a PD blower like you guys.

I have thought about doing meth myself. You get the higher effective octane and cooling effect just like you do with E85. Just don't think the difference would be quite as dramatic though.

Bud

Established Member
I know dude! I told Rob lets drain the damn tank and see where we are right now! I'd love to have the 47s reworked as its the cheapest option, but everybody seems to think the ID1000s are the ones to get because they are so easy to tune. I would guess with just a BAP and injectors I would be fine here. No intentions to run E85 anywhere but CO.

Sometimes when there isn't a trail you have to blaze one. I'm not sure you will really know unless you test, and a lot of people would like to see the results of how far you get with it.

...and then you could run an offroad mid pipe and the car wouldn't stink

alex12gt

Established Member
I was alsways told cats and boost dont get along but also with the higher octane rating e85 id prolly say ditch the cats

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I have thought about doing meth myself. You get the higher effective octane and cooling effect just like you do with E85. Just don't think the difference would be quite as dramatic though.

Just watched a show last week where they put Meth on a bolt on Procharged challenger and it gained over 40whp peak and 60whp point to point. 50/50 meth and water is said to up your octane rating to over 120 octane. It also cools the AIT's like 40 some degrees. And you can have it set to only spray when referencing X amount of boost or during certain RPM's so set it at 3500rpm and you can drive around normally without burning through it until you really want to get on it. Its a good option to consider anyways. Bud did mention something about corrosion on the rotors of the blower but you'll have to ask him about that:shrug:.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Your stock pump with a BAP will be fine for now. Only think you will need to do is upgrade your injectors.

grnenvy

Established Member
Meth is a great option but u always have the possibility of the pump going bad and then your screwed. My buick buddies ran that stuff for years on there Buick GN and that was back in the early 90s. It's nothing new.
Who in the hell wants to drive around looking for E85? It's alot of money to convert for such a little gain.

Bud

Established Member
Meth is a great option but u always have the possibility of the pump going bad and then your screwed. My buick buddies ran that stuff for years on there Buick GN and that was back in the early 90s. It's nothing new.
Who in the hell wants to drive around looking for E85? It's alot of money to convert for such a little gain.

It is hard to get meth injected post blower on a PD setup without machining the lower intake for a nozzle/s, which is where it does the best after the air is compressed. It helps pre-blower but I'd be concerned about corrosion. E85 is post blower which cools good, but also post IAT2 so the computer doesn't see the cooling effect. Still allows for a bunch more timing and keeps the charge cooler though and adds some safety during the hot months.

We get screwed up here by elevation but luckily we have almost 70 stations with e85 in Colorado so we don't really have to drive around to find one.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
That was my biggest concern with meth.... All the procharger and similar guys are able to spray right before the TB after the air has been compressed. Wasn't sure if you sprayed it pre compressed air if it would have the same effect. I also wouldnt throwing a bunch more timing at the car just because I had it, so even if it wasn't there for some reason, it wouldn't be a big concern.....

Hunting for E85 has always been a concern of mine, but there are a couple station within a couple miles of my house and it is available around here in alot of places....

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Can u amagine wanting to take a nice road trip in your beautiful Mustang and not able to find E85? U would be ****ed! No Thanks

I still say it's much easier to have a race fuel tune. Race fuel tunes with there aggressive timing are woth 20-30hp on a blower car.
QUOTE=sambandit;12055378]That was my biggest concern with meth.... All the procharger and similar guys are able to spray right before the TB after the air has been compressed. Wasn't sure if you sprayed it pre compressed air if it would have the same effect. I also wouldnt throwing a bunch more timing at the car just because I had it, so even if it wasn't there for some reason, it wouldn't be a big concern.....

Hunting for E85 has always been a concern of mine, but there are a couple station within a couple miles of my house and it is available around here in alot of places....[/QUOTE]

Turbo900rr

Established Member
Can u amagine wanting to take a nice road trip in your beautiful Mustang and not able to find E85? U would be ****ed! No Thanks

I still say it's much easier to have a race fuel tune. Race fuel tunes with there aggressive timing are woth 20-30hp on a blower car.
QUOTE=sambandit;12055378]That was my biggest concern with meth.... All the procharger and similar guys are able to spray right before the TB after the air has been compressed. Wasn't sure if you sprayed it pre compressed air if it would have the same effect. I also wouldnt throwing a bunch more timing at the car just because I had it, so even if it wasn't there for some reason, it wouldn't be a big concern.....

Hunting for E85 has always been a concern of mine, but there are a couple station within a couple miles of my house and it is available around here in alot of places....
[/QUOTE]

Easy enough fix for that. Have an e85 tune and 91 tune. If your running an auto with a lot of boost you program the 91 tune to shift at say 5000 rpms. If your driving a stick lower the rev limiter. I'm currently running 12 psi on e85. No way I would switch back to 91 or even 93 for that matter.

RioRed4v

Established Member
One thing I never got an answer for is..... Is it OK to have cats with E85?

From what I recall reading on one of the local Subaru forums, is that you can re-register your car for being cornfed and you would be except from having to have cats on the car. If you got caught running regular fuel with no cats, the fine could be hefty, but if you stuck with corn the entire time, you would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread