Fuel setup; on the right track?

randg4603

Established Member
After reading for what seems like days on end about my fuel needs on e85, I still find myself uncertain as to what exactly I need....

Current setup:
-stock motor
-whipple 2.3 gen II
-3" pulley
-BAP
-MAF extender
-80# injectors

Current power:
-590whp on 93 pump at 18psi

Power goal:
-700whp on e85 AND/OR c16 (e85 is tough to find here sometimes)

I think I need the following:
Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Fuel Line Upgrade w/Fuel Rails - Fuel Line Upgrade Kit - Fuel Delivery - 03-04 SVT Cobra
Lethal Performance 99-04 4V Budget Return Style Fuel System - Lethal Performance Fuel Systems - Fuel Systems - Fuel Delivery - 03-04 SVT Cobra

Let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks for your time
Randy

gabe1530

Banned
i agree with 04sleeper.
that is all you need but will you want more in the long run? its always better to have more fuel than what is needed.
also, you could change to a 4lb lower instead of moving to a 2.6 upper. the 2.6 is small and is prone to belt slip, especially at high blower rpm.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
just make sure if you go with the budget system to upgrade those 255 pumps and get yourself a stainless steel filter.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i agree with 04sleeper.
that is all you need but will you want more in the long run? its always better to have more fuel than what is needed.
also, you could change to a 4lb lower instead of moving to a 2.6 upper. the 2.6 is small and is prone to belt slip, especially at high blower rpm.
I had zero issues with belt slip with the 2.60" RR upper and didn't have to put any extra stress on the crank snout with the aftermarket lower. I do recommend a belt tensioner support plate to keep the tensioner straight though.
Tensioner Support Plate, 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra: Metco Motorsports

just make sure if you go with the budget system to upgrade those 255 pumps and get yourself a stainless steel filter.
I agree. Two Walbro 465 pumps and a stainless filter would be perfect!

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
I just picked up (2) 405's and a SS filter........now just need to install and fill up then tune!

randg4603

Established Member
Thanks for the replies!!! I'm still confused....here's the response I got from John@Lethal

John@Lethal said:
Randy,

Regardless of power, if you plan on running e85, I would advise going with the system that is Walbro approved for e85. The other fuel pumps can work with E85, but up until recently, walbro released the 465, and is the only pump they make that is approved for ethanol.

Lethal Performance 99-04 SN95 1400+rwhp Return Style Fuel System - Lethal Performance Fuel Systems - Fuel Systems - Fuel Delivery - 03-04 SVT Cobra

Yes, it's the most expensive kit, but should you use any other Walbro pump, and they happen to fail with ethanol, Walbro will not cover the pump under warranty.

With this system, you're safe up until ~1000RWHP on E85.

700 on a 2.3 is pretty much a far stretch. I would advise a 2.9 at least to get to that power goal.

Thanks

John

Users who are viewing this thread