Fuel Rails Feed and Return Line Identification Question for 1998 Cobra

Turbosnake281

Established Member
Hello, I would like to know which fuel line connecting to my factory fuel rails are the feed/pressure line and which line is the return line. This is a 1998 cobra return style fuel system. If you can let me know how to visually identify this and or just say the one on the top or bottom it would be very appreciated.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I'd defer to some of the more knowledgeable members, since I own a 97, but wasn't 98 the first year of the returnless fuel systems for Mustangs?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Now I just wonder why the shop changed the return fuel line to a braided nylon hose.
There's two reasons I can think of. Either the stock line was damaged that it was easier to run a new line. Or the fuel system was upgraded at some point. Are you not able to contact the shop?

Turbosnake281

Established Member
There's two reasons I can think of. Either the stock line was damaged that it was easier to run a new line. Or the fuel system was upgraded at some point. Are you not able to contact the shop?
The fuel system is upgraded all around, however I have stock rails, stock feed/pressure line, and a nylon braided return fuel line. I just cant understand why, please help me as it makes no sense to me.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Might want to do some more research, since yes in fact mid year 98 Ford moved to a returnless style fuel system. As far as why you have braided line? Who knows, most likely parts availability. Regardless, if it isn't leaking, and you aren't experiencing fuel issues, no point getting worked up over a non-issue.

96dreamer

Established Member
As mentioned the 98's had a hybrid return fuel system but I believe only the pump/basket was different. The rails should be the same and the one with the larger diameter will be you feed. Physically the one on the top should be feed and the bottom return. The one coming from the regulator will also be the return.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The fuel system is upgraded all around, however I have stock rails, stock feed/pressure line, and a nylon braided return fuel line. I just cant understand why, please help me as it makes no sense to me.
Welcome to the joys of buying a modified used car. A world where previous owners do things that make us scratch our heads and wonder what drugs they were on. All you can do is fix whatever they did and move on.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
Welcome to the joys of buying a modified used car. A world where previous owners do things that make us scratch our heads and wonder what drugs they were on. All you can do is fix whatever they did and move on.

Your are correct, however everything that has been on and happened to this car happened while I was the owner. I have owned this car as a race car since I was 15 and am now 32. It has original 29k miles.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Your are correct, however everything that has been on and happened to this car happened while I was the owner. I have owned this car as a race car since I was 15 and am now 32. It has original 29k miles.
So then you should be able to answer your own questions. And you should know which shop did whatever work to it. So they would be the ones to ask.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
So then you should be able to answer your own questions. And you should know which shop did whatever work to it. So they would be the ones to ask.
You are correct but I dislike the shop so im changing shops. No shop turns my wrenches only me. I only use shops for dyno tuning, but sometimes they jew their ways into working on my car and just damage it with shitty subpar work everytime. I dont bash shops so I dont mention them.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member

You are correct but I dislike the shop so im changing shops. No shop turns my wrenches only me. I only use shops for dyno tuning, but sometimes they jew their ways into working on my car and just damage it with shitty subpar work everytime. I dont bash shops so I dont mention them.
2Q==(33).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread