Fuel pump upgrade

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I have a stock car that I’m getting ready to put some pieces I’ve gathered up on it. Car will be pretty basic, ported eaton with 2.76 upper, ba2600 maf. Trying to decide on either a boost a pump style or going with a gt super car pump setup.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Either will work. I'm not a big fan of the BAP solution. I more prefer to upgrade the actual fuel pump. Price wise, the BAP is a lesser cost choice.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
Either will work. I'm not a big fan of the BAP solution. I more prefer to upgrade the actual fuel pump. Price wise, the BAP is a lesser cost choice.
My other cobra has a bap just looking to see what all is involved in the gt pump upgrade.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll have to come up with your own wiring to connect the pumps to the stock harness. With the older style pumps all you had to do was depin the connectors on the car side of the harness. I think the newer style you'll have to do some cutting and splicing. No biggie really. And you'll need/want a PPRV kit to connect the pumps to the outlet.

This is all if you decide to stick with the stock hat. If you get an aftermarket hat you just need to connect the factory harness. I ran the old school GT pumps with the stock FPDM and wire upgrade up to about 600rwhp.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
You'll have to come up with your own wiring to connect the pumps to the stock harness. With the older style pumps all you had to do was depin the connectors on the car side of the harness. I think the newer style you'll have to do some cutting and splicing. No biggie really. And you'll need/want a PPRV kit to connect the pumps to the outlet.

This is all if you decide to stick with the stock hat. If you get an aftermarket hat you just need to connect the factory harness. I ran the old school GT pumps with the stock FPDM and wire upgrade up to about 600rwhp.

The pprv delete is what has me leaning towards the gt pumps I just hate to cut up my wiring on this car. Don’t have any plans to be more than a ported eaton car. I have a fore hat from another cobra but not sure if it can be reused for a returnless setup since it’s setup for return style now.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You don't really need the PPRV delete. The shift hesitation can be tuned out. You can always install the parts you have and see where you end up FPDC wise.

To run the Fore hat you just need to plug the return port. And they make an adapter that plugs the hat into the stock lines.

Last edited:

OSU34

Established Member
I have a dual FPDM harness that connects in to the stock harness. No cutting is required.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@01yellercobra has pretty much explained what's involved with switching to a larger pump setup. If you really want to keep it simple and have no plans to go any further, power wise, you can certainly go the route of the BAP and be happy. There are a lot of folks who use the BAP setup. Actually, back in the early Terminator years, a high percentage of owners went with a BAP.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm getting ready to run a similar setup also. Can't you just run the deatschwerks dual 340s? That would lower duty cycle enough for a bolt on car I would think.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I'm getting ready to run a similar setup also. Can't you just run the deatschwerks dual 340s? That would lower duty cycle enough for a bolt on car I would think.
I can’t find anyone that has used them. It says they are plug and play on the lethal site. Those would be great if they have a good track record

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I can’t find anyone that has used them. It says they are plug and play on the lethal site. Those would be great if they have a good track record
Well those are what I'm leaning towards they are budget friendly. Plug n play, I have no e85 here or desire to make this car a horsepower monster. Can't imagine the stock pumps are performing that well at this point either. Going to dyno it in the spring and will update with results.

Users who are viewing this thread