Fuel pump upgrade question/help

blownfox

Established Member
I’m debating on upgrading my fuel pumps before I get my car tuned. I was thinking about upgrading to walbro gt pumps with a modified FPDM from black306 (with power wire upgrade). Is this all I need to upgrade pumps? Also is a PPRV delete worth is? Thanks!

Current set up (typical bolt on Cobra):
· TVS w/GT500 TB 3.0 pulley
· 60 lbs injectors
· VMP 3000 MAf
· BAP (would remove if I upgrade pumps)
· Long tubes
· JTL RAI

http://www.black306.com/?page_id=13

http://www.lethalperformance.com/walbro-improved-gt-supercar-fuel-pump.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/lethal-performance-pprv-delete-kit-with-30r10-submersible-line.html

I prefer not to do a return fuel system as my goal for this car was 525 RWHP and no plans for E-85. I had several issues with my 93 Cobra return systems.

bigmoose

Established Member
If you do not want to go return i would at least go with a fore returnless hat with upgraded pumps. That will eliminate any potential issues down the road with hoses popped off or kinks.

That solution also eliminates the pprv which is good. You will get rid of shift hesitations for the cost of a slightly longer start.

A fore return system is very reliable, id argue more so than the returnless, I f installed properly. Maybe your older system was inferior parts?

cj428mach

Established Member
Buy a Fore return system, you won't regret it. By the time you buy pumps, upgraded fpdm, a better hat, and build/buy a wiring harness you're getting close to a return system. You can also sell the BAP to help offset the cost.

You might hit up Malcolm he's also a Fore Dealer, i believe Joe's been getting all his fuel system stuff from him.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Depends on how much money you want to spend but going return from the start is the wiser choice.

If not I may have what you need! I am selling a Fore hat with dual Gt pumps and a black 306 modded FPDM....

blownfox

Established Member
If you do not want to go return i would at least go with a fore returnless hat with upgraded pumps. That will eliminate any potential issues down the road with hoses popped off or kinks.

That solution also eliminates the pprv which is good. You will get rid of shift hesitations for the cost of a slightly longer start.

A fore return system is very reliable, id argue more so than the returnless, I f installed properly. Maybe your older system was inferior parts?

It could have been inferior parts but every time I made an uphill turn to the right I would get a strong fuel smell inside the car. It seams like I'm better off saving up for the return system. I'm not expecting to make over 550 rwhp but i also do not know what the limits are with stock pumps and a BAP.

Buy a Fore return system, you won't regret it. By the time you buy pumps, upgraded fpdm, a better hat, and build/buy a wiring harness you're getting close to a return system. You can also sell the BAP to help offset the cost.

You might hit up Malcolm he's also a Fore Dealer, i believe Joe's been getting all his fuel system stuff from him.

I purchased the VMP kit through Malcolm and he was very easy to work with. From reading the three comments, it seems like I should wait until I have the money available for the return system. If my wife was not getting eye surgery next month ($3500) it would be an easy choice. she really needs it. At least if the BAP burns up a pump the lead protection module should save me...I hope.

Depends on how much money you want to spend but going return from the start is the wiser choice.

If not I may have what you need! I am selling a Fore hat with dual Gt pumps and a black 306 modded FPDM....

WOW that fore hat looks amazing! I think you are right after reading these comments, it would be wiser choice to get the return system.

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

cj428mach

Established Member
I ran a BAP on my blue car and my White car. The Blue car could do 17psi with a duty cycle of upper 80's. The White car could only do 15psi before the duty cycle was pushing 90+. You more than likely would be close.

I would find a tuner that won't kill you on a retune when you change to return fuel system as its a few simple changes in the tune and probably some slight tweaking of fuel.

MG0h3

Established Member
I think I saw a return system in the market.

I got mine through Malcolm. Level 1E with a few tweaks for @1300. That's with the 465s. Zero fuel smell. I think there's some used 1000s in the market too.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Another vote for FORE return system. Think about this too unless you do the work yourself, you're going to pay $200 for a fuel tank drop and I've had to have that done 3 times now. They didn't do the PPRV and the hesitation was BAD in between shifts. Then, a pump went bad and last time they forgot to install a gasket and it leaked. I'm saving for the FORE system now but I've paid $600 just in labor for fixing small issues with returnless system. You can run e85 perfectly too with the proper pumps and believe me you'll want to. When I first felt 600 hp I'm thinking this is it? Btw your car should put down more than 550hp on 93. I've got the exact same set up as you. Closer to 600 unless it's super hot. Another benefit of E is it won't pull timing. I can't wait to get set up on it

Last edited:

blownfox

Established Member
I ran a BAP on my blue car and my White car. The Blue car could do 17psi with a duty cycle of upper 80's. The White car could only do 15psi before the duty cycle was pushing 90+. You more than likely would be close.

I would find a tuner that won't kill you on a retune when you change to return fuel system as its a few simple changes in the tune and probably some slight tweaking of fuel.

Down the road I will have either have Malcolm or Kevin tune the car. I pulled the ZT2 datalogger out of the car since it was not installed correctly by the previous owner. I should be able to data log through X4 and AEM wideband with firewire. If not I"ll be in trouble.

Another vote for FORE return system. Think about this too unless you do the work yourself, you're going to pay $200 for a fuel tank drop and I've had to have that done 3 times now. They didn't do the PPRV and the hesitation was BAD in between shifts. Then, the pump went bad and last time they forgot to install a gasket and it leaked. I'm saving for the FORE system now but I've paid $600 just in labor for fixing small issues with returnless system. You can run e85 perfectly too with the proper pumps and believe me you'll want to. When I first felt 600 hp I'm thinking this is it? Btw your car should put down more than 550hp on 93. I've got the exact same set up as you. Closer to 600 unless it's super hot. Another benefit of E is it won't pull timing. I can't wait to get set up on it

Unfortunately we do not have 93 gas here. The car will get tuned for 91 and maybe mix in some 100+ octane for insurance. I priced out the return system on Fore website and it was $1400ish. When I decide to pull the trigger, i will use Malcolm!

choate

Established Member
Down the road I will have either have Malcolm or Kevin tune the car. I pulled the ZT2 datalogger out of the car since it was not installed correctly by the previous owner. I should be able to data log through X4 and AEM wideband with firewire. If not I"ll be in trouble.

You should be able to man. Kevin told me I could use the new AEM and X4 for him to tune the car. Edit: I'm not sure what firewire is though. I thought you said firewall at first like run the wide band through there

blownfox

Established Member
The firewire allows you to add an analog signal to the X4. I my case, it will be the wide band. This will let the X4 log AFR's when data logging. The firewire was $12 through Summit I think.

choate

Established Member
I see. Yeah. I bought the wire from Lethal. It was $25 but Kevin actually messaged me the one from summit but I'd already bought it through lethal with all the other stuff (x4, the wideband and some beer coozies lol)

Users who are viewing this thread