fuel pressure gauge?

PoisonSnake

Banned
I was just wondering what does this gauge do and how come it's soo expensive $200 bucks just for the Autometer Lunar Fuel Pressure gauge.

Also is the Air/Fuel gauge recommended?

So far I'm planning on Boost and two others. can't decide though, some others I've heard was Water temp was a good one too.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
SVT316x said:
I was just wondering what does this gauge do and how come it's soo expensive $200 bucks just for the Autometer Lunar Fuel Pressure gauge.

Also is the Air/Fuel gauge recommended?

So far I'm planning on Boost and two others. can't decide though, some others I've heard was Water temp was a good one too.

To me the Fuel Pressure gauge is way more important than the A/F gauge. $200 is actually a pretty good price for that gauge. Seems on par or less than I paid a year ago for the same gauge. I mounted mine in a steering column pod. You'll also want to buy a braided stainless hose and a few various fittings(can't remember the exact ones) and just run it off the passenger side fuel rail. You have to remove the Shrader(sp?) valve and install in it's place. Looks like a valve stem w/ black cap on it. My FP gauge started acting erratic and clued me in that my FRPS had shot craps. I watch that gauge as much as possible when I'm on the gas hard. It possibly saved me A LOT of engine damage. You can still get an A/F gauge, but definitely get a fuel pressure gauge too.

TRBO VNM

check out ebay. got mine for 150 shipped. I think it is a must have gauge. The A/F gauge I would not worry about unless you have a wideband to get the output from it to the gauge. That is the only way to really get an accurate reading.

PoisonSnake

Banned
What does the Fuel Pressure gauge notify you with? I know $200 is a lot for just this gauge so I know it must be important but what do you look for in this gauge when it goes to like 20, 40? what is it telling you to let off the throttle if it goes high?

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
When you first install it, note where the needle sits at idle. Note where it goes during regular cruising and during WOT. If it ever deviates far from "normal", you know there is a problem. When my FRPS went bad, at idle it would fluctuate a lot. Before it was rock solid at 30psi. When my car fell on it's face, the fuel pressure under WOT was normally around 60psi, but that time it was much lower. I knew I had a fuel problem. Most people without the gauge may look at the MAF, fuel pump, IAC, or a coil, or even a plug. I knew it was fuel related for sure because of the gauge. Continued driving under my condition may have led to a bad engine experience. Best $200 mod I've purchased to date.

Users who are viewing this thread