Fuel mods necessary for whipple?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
So i hear from some ppl there are TON of mods needed to safely run an upgraded fuel system, but i tend to get a different answer no matter where i go. I currently run twin GT pumps and 60# injectors. I dont really dog on the car so it hasnt been an issue (yet), and it is still in the shop getting some misc crap done. So my concern is this...dont want thermal overload or obviously any fire/explosion or fuel cutoff.

What if i just add the Modified FPDM?
Zone 5 Performance 99-04 GT/Mach-1/Cobra Modified FPDM [LP-MODIFIEDFPDM] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

What else do i really need?

spincobra03

Established Member
So i hear from some ppl there are TON of mods needed to safely run an upgraded fuel system, but i tend to get a different answer no matter where i go. I currently run twin GT pumps and 60# injectors. I dont really dog on the car so it hasnt been an issue (yet), and it is still in the shop getting some misc crap done. So my concern is this...dont want thermal overload or obviously any fire/explosion or fuel cutoff.

What if i just add the Modified FPDM?
Zone 5 Performance 99-04 GT/Mach-1/Cobra Modified FPDM [LP-MODIFIEDFPDM] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

What else do i really need?

Call dan at pro-dyno in south carolina. He will explain everything (in detail) of exactly what you need. Even if you dont buy anything from him, he will give you the exact list of what you will need for any power level you are trying to get to. His numbers in my sig

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
i already have the same... dual gt pumps and 60's

Here's what was recommended to me to complete a reliabe fuel system:

-Fore hat $390
-8an lines w/filter $220
-MDM jr $375

greengt88

Established Member
yep that sounds about right. just recieved my complete system from lethal today. Top notch stuff. I also got the fore fuel rails. Probably aren't necessary but only want to do it once ya know. now i just need an SCT MAF and i'm ready to rock on my whipple install. need to decide how much boost to run. probably 15-17#'s. Also got the clutch and components. I'm gonna have that stuff installed first since it needs to be broken in anyway. keep that in mind the stock clutch is probably only good til 5-525rwhp. better safe then sorry.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Get the upgraded FPDM or dual FPDM's. Either way you go will net you the same results. I went with the dual FPDM's because if an FPDM ever went bad I could go into any Ford dealer or buy one off any 99-04 Mustang. You will be fine with the stock fuel line and rails for your whipple 3.25 pulley.

Also I don't think I would drive the car without a upgraded or dual FPDM's. You don't want you FPDM going into thermal overload and lean out your motor. Just my opinion.

cobracide

Established Member
Dual FPDM with wiring (lethal), wire upgrade (lethal), Fore hat with single -8an, fuel line adapter (lethal). You don't need to run a full -8an fuel line and rails unless you're going north of 700hp.

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Get the upgraded FPDM or dual FPDM's. Either way you go will net you the same results. I went with the dual FPDM's because if an FPDM ever went bad I could go into any Ford dealer or buy one off any 99-04 Mustang. You will be fine with the stock fuel line and rails for your whipple 3.25 pulley.

Also I don't think I would drive the car without a upgraded or dual FPDM's. You don't want you FPDM going into thermal overload and lean out your motor. Just my opinion.
Do the upgraded FPDM's server the same purpose as a BAP? What are the advantages if any of going with upgraded FPDM vs BAP?

cobracide

Established Member
If i go with the upgraded FPDM, do i also need to upgrade any wiring?

Yes, the stock wiring cannot handle the amperage draw of a dual GT pump and dual FPDM setup. I would also go dual for the reasons outlined above. It's just a better way to go than a modified FPDM.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

the proper way to run dual gt pumps is either a dual FPDM setup/harness or the MDMjr for two pumps or MDM for 3 pumps. Along with the Fore hat. as stated, the stock wiring in the stock hat is not setup properly to handle the current draw. I have personally seen the wire coating melted and discolored because of this. I know some others who have seen this as well. the Gt500 and Ford GT run dual fpdm's for a reason and also Ford has a plug and play additional fpdm kit for the S197 gt's to add twin pumps, for a reason. :D

you also will reduce your fuel pump duty cycle going this route as well.

The BAP does not act as a FPDM or upgraded fpdm. the BAP increases the voltage to the pumps so they flow more and allow the pumps to support more power. it is just an amp for the pumps. the FPDM is the controller and what sends signals between the pcm and pumps.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
The BAP does not act as a FPDM or upgraded fpdm. the BAP increases the voltage to the pumps so they flow more and allow the pumps to support more power. it is just an amp for the pumps. the FPDM is the controller and what sends signals between the pcm and pumps.
Good information. However, for those of us who are looking at making around 600hp can I use the BAP insted of the FPDM route and be good to go? I plan on getting the WHipple 2.3, SCT MAF 2800, 63lb inj, BAP w/wire upgrade. I should be ok with this set up right?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Alright so lets revise...

Going to go with the dual FPDM setup (with wiring upgrade) from lethal and I will also go with the Fore dual pump hat due to my dual GT pump setup, but still plan on stock fuel lines/rails. Is that a safe setup now, provided im not upping the boost? I feel like it should be! LOL

Now here is my question:

From this link for the Fore hat products, what part #'s am i looking at for the dual pump and dual FPDM setup that im going for?

Fore Precision Works Fuel Hats : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I was thinking i would need:
-Fuel line adapter (FPW-HAT2STKLINEKIT)
-Dual pump hat (0037-015)
-------Is a replacement gasket worth it? Or is the stock one fine to reuse?
-------Which outlet type? Dual 6an or single 8an?
-------Fuel level sender necessary? I would think this could just be reused from stock hat?

Sorry for the basic questions, i got a LOT to learn about fuel systems...

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Alright so lets revise...

Going to go with the dual FPDM setup (with wiring upgrade) from lethal and I will also go with the Fore dual pump hat due to my dual GT pump setup, but still plan on stock fuel lines/rails. Is that a safe setup now, provided im not upping the boost? I feel like it should be! LOL

Now here is my question:

From this link for the Fore hat products, what part #'s am i looking at for the dual pump and dual FPDM setup that im going for?

Fore Precision Works Fuel Hats : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I was thinking i would need:
-Fuel line adapter (FPW-HAT2STKLINEKIT)
-Dual pump hat (0037-015)
-------Is a replacement gasket worth it? Or is the stock one fine to reuse?
-------Which outlet type? Dual 6an or single 8an?
-------Fuel level sender necessary? I would think this could just be reused from stock hat?

Sorry for the basic questions, i got a LOT to learn about fuel systems...

lethal has the wire upgrade and all as well. Call them. No, you don't need the sender, it will transfer. Single -8an is the way to go for returnless. I'm pretty sure you can reuse the gasket as well, again if you call lethal they can answer it all.

I will see if I cant find some links.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Here's what I ordered..

1 ea. Lethal Performance Dual FPDM Wire Harness Kit
•Omit Wire Upgrade - No
•Omit FPDM - No- Still Include FPDM
$389.00
1 ea. Fore Precision Works 03-04 Cobra Dual Pump Billet Top Hat
•Choose Outlet Type - Single 8an Feed
•OEM Fuel Level Sender - No- Do Not Add to Order
•OEM Replacement Gasket - No- Do Not Add to Order
•Add 2 GT Pumps to Order - Yes
$747.60
1 ea. Lethal Performance Hat to Stock Fuel Line Adapter Kit $69.00

TRBO VNM

Good information. However, for those of us who are looking at making around 600hp can I use the BAP insted of the FPDM route and be good to go? I plan on getting the WHipple 2.3, SCT MAF 2800, 63lb inj, BAP w/wire upgrade. I should be ok with this set up right?

I think I may understand what you are asking or you didn't fully understand what I said. either way.....

you don't use a BAP instead of the FPDM route. 2 totally different things and function differently. not sure if you understood that or not.

you have stock pumps and a BAP or you have gt pumps and dual FPDM or MDM setup. the stock pumps and BAP could potentially support 600hp. some people have run out before 600 and others have supported over. IMO, when going TS and trying to hit the 600 mark, I don't like to skimp on things or ever when modding my vehicles and I let the decision/risk lay with the customers after I advise them of my recommendations and risk they take doing it certain ways.

if you are trying to hit 600, then you are running an upper and lower or a smaller upper to push 18# or more. when your car is tuned, you will know how close you are to maxing the pumps out with the BAP or you can upgrade before spending the money on tuning. either way, be prepared in case you can't support the power with the stock pumps and BAP.

hopefully that clears it up for you. every car is different, but in general, that 600 mark you are better off investing in a fuel system to support it and more. hell, my setup will support almost 1300rwhp, but I will never be near that.

TRBO VNM

Yes you could reuse the stock gasket. cobracide has posted everything you need but I would add this so you could use the stock line from the hat to the fuel filter.

Fore Precision Hat to Stock Fuel Line Adapter Fititng [FPW-HAT2STKLINEKIT] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

or you do what he did and get the Lethal Performance Hat to Stock Fuel Line Adapter Kit $69.00 and you will have a portion of your stock line upgraded to -8an.

either way will work, but larger line all the way to the rail will help reduce fuel pressure spikes and FPDC(fuel pump duty cycle)

greengt88

Established Member
if you are going to spend this kind of $$ then i don't see the sense in not spending another $220 to get the upgraded fuel lines/filter, which you could still run to your stock rails. if you buy the whole kit at once the rails are only $255, so for $475 more, why not be done with it, install it once and you never have to worry if u have enough fuel. makes sense to me. Shop around in the market and on ebay, i got injetors, SBTB, SCT MAF and some other parts and saved alomost $1000, which let me spend a little extra on fuel system stuff. Do it right the 1st time, not just enough to get by with your fingers crossed.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
or you do what he did and get the Lethal Performance Hat to Stock Fuel Line Adapter Kit $69.00 and you will have a portion of your stock line upgraded to -8an.

I have the hat to stock fuel line adapter kit but the stock fuel line adapter fitting is new and wasn't available last summer when I installed my fuel system. Looks like a better way to go if you are going to keep the stock lines.

Anyway as far as upgrading lines and rails I don't plan on running anymore boost than 93 octane can handle. My fuel duty cycle is 77% at almost 600 horspower with the stock lines and rails. Here is my upgraded fuel system. Fore hat,GT pumps, dual FPDM's with wire upgrade and 60lb injectors.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Sounds good guys, thank you for clearing things up. I will make sure to pick up the adapter for hat to stock line as well as the dual pump hat and dual FDPMs with the upgraded wiring.

That should be a solid setup right?

Users who are viewing this thread