Fuel leakage on my 2003 Cobra Coupe

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My Cobra is very low mileage and in very good shape. I was driving it yesterday and noticed that it was not starting like usual.
Almost seemed like it needed a tune up. I went out early last night and then parked it after a while of driving. When I started
the Cobra up again, it bucked and sputtered and then would not start at all. After trying to start the Cobra several times, I
smelled gas. Then I found gas by the front of my right front wheel. Looking into the engine bay, I found gas dripping all over
my front suspension parts and by my right front wheel, on the inside. It seems like the gas leaking is below the Cobra's air
intake system, near the front right brake area, or some thing close to that.
Can anyone tell me what is in that area, relating to the fuel system, that could be leaking bad?
Is it a rubber hose or a steel fuel line or some device that the gas passes thru before going to the injectors?
Is this usual or an odd problem?
I know that the fuel pump is in the gas tank and the fuel filter is behind the gas tank.
I don't know what is located where the leak is and I haven't yet tried to get under the car to see, but
I would appreciated any advice or knowledge you can offer. Ken

KenCobra03

Established Member
But isn't the fuel rail pressure sensor located up on top of the engine by the supercharger? The leak is way down under the
air intake assembly, near the right front wheel. Hmmm ?

SVTDice

Established Member
Two ways to check it, Pull the vacuum line and see if it smells of heavy fuel, second if disconnect the electrical connector after you hook up the vacuum line and try to start it if it does, Than you have a bad FRPS. I have quite a few as well if you need one.

toomanytoys

Established Member
There is a crimped hose on the back of the engine that links the left and right fuel rails. If that has split it could easily spray fuel all over the right side apron and suspension

KenCobra03

Established Member
There is a crimped hose on the back of the engine that links the left and right fuel rails. If that has split it could easily spray fuel all over the right side apron and suspension

I didn't know about that, thanks !

dblj32774

DSG Vert
Established Member
It just happened to me last weekend. Get a new sensor. Advance auto. Use TRT30 and it is $80. The fuel will come out your CAI or RAI. Clean the filter, if a K&N style. Change your oil. It is not hard to do. Hit me up if need some help. I was at a Store came out and would not start the from cranking fuel everywhere. If you take FRPS of and lightly blow air through the it and comes out vacuum side. It is toast. Just got new one and can't put air through it.

KenCobra03

Established Member
Does anyone else have any input to share or have a similiar experience ? Thanks to all who have given info.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The hard line (feed line) runs in the passenger side wheel well and connects to a rubber line before it makes its way up into the engine bay. That hard line to rubber line connection would be my guess.

KenCobra03

Established Member
The hard line (feed line) runs in the passenger side wheel well and connects to a rubber line before it makes its way up into the engine bay. That hard line to rubber line connection would be my guess.

Yes, that seems to make a lot of sense. I have a 2003 Ford Mustang repair manual, ( $180.00 back in 2003 )
and I will see if I can find the fuel lines in the manual, before I have to crawl under the Cobra. Thanks very much !

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Yes, that seems to make a lot of sense. I have a 2003 Ford Mustang repair manual, ( $180.00 back in 2003 )
and I will see if I can find the fuel lines in the manual, before I have to crawl under the Cobra. Thanks very much !

If you jack the car up at that corner, the wheel/suspension will droop enough that you can see it without having to crawl up under it.

KenCobra03

Established Member
Okay, it turned out that the problem was a defective Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, after all.
I didn't know what the problem was when it wouldn't start. I ended up flooding the engine
and it was being fixed at a Ford dealer and they found out that my engine oil was full of gas.
Had to change the oil and filter and it's cleaned out now.
Thanks everyone for your help ! Ken

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad you found the issue and that it's fixed. By the way, the FRPS going bad is not uncommon. Some go so far as to carry a spare in their trunk. It's easy to replace yourself.

KenCobra03

Established Member
Now I am looking into a fuel rail pressure sensor disc. Need to get more info on it.

Users who are viewing this thread