Fuel Guage Question?

97Snake1668

Amazon Racing-None Better
Established Member
Hello all!
I recently picked up a 97 Cobra Convertible and one of the downfalls of it is the inoperable fuel guage. The guage will show full right after a fill up but it is unreliable after it starts to go down. I was wondering if there is something easy that you have found that I could check. Hopefully it isnt something too much of a pain since I should have my 68' Coupe coming home soon and am dropping all my extra cash on it. Thanks to all in advance!

Semper Fi,
Kris

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
the only thing i've found is that we don't have a low fuel light. i've been left stranded twice. other than that my guage works just fine.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Yeah, if your tank is below 1/4 please fill it up immediately... The 1/4 mark is your low fuel gauge.

Once it hits the red line, it's gonna shut off.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Unplug the fuel level sender wire, and put a 22 ohm resistor between the sender wire and ground. Turn the key to ON, and the fuel gauge should read right at the "E" mark. If not, you can take the needle off the gauge post with a dinner fork and put it back on pointing at the "E". Don't push it back on too far or the needle will bind against the gauge face. Don't touch the gauge face or you will leave greasy fingerprints on it.

Users who are viewing this thread