Fuel filter tool

coild

Established Member
Does anyone sell the fuel filter removal tool that is not made of cheap plastic that never wants to work?

These are always such a bitch to remove... any tips on making it easier?
So many of you change the fuel filter very frequently, so there must be some
trick I am not getting.

I cant' seem to get the tool to release the filter from the tubing.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
they sell metal ones... I always had good luck with the plastic one though. I forget where I got the metal one from, might have been Sears.

VEGASbabyVEGAS

I }> MY HONDA
Established Member
they sell metal ones... I always had good luck with the plastic one though. I forget where I got the metal one from, might have been Sears.

ditto on the plastic ones... spray a few shots of some PB blaster of something first.

Vatozone used to have the aluminum ones.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
i cant even find the right fuel filter for my truck.. part stores have fat ones for my truck (01 and the one on my truck is the standard skinny looking one) and when I ask to see one from 03/04 they dont have any in stock..

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
yea havent checked them yet... ill get around to it this weekend. has any one else ran into this problem? the fuel filter they "have listed" for my truck was a monster looking thing and in no way fitting in the factory clamp.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think I may change the filter on my L today. It needs an oil change too. It'll be a good opportunity to get some new pics for the how-to.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I have a 01L and back in about 02 when I went to change the fuel filter for the first time, the parts place I went to also gave me the big Navigator style filter instead of the smaller filter as on my 01L. I knew what came on my 01L from the factory as I had looked at it before I went to buy another. The parts place I went to (an O'Reillys today) told me that the bigger one was what was listed in their computer - but when I told them it was much too big, they knew right away what size to get me.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Mine was a pain to get it to let go too. I got my tool from Advanced Auto Parts and I think its a light metal.

What I've done in the past is when the fuel-line hose is "free", I use the tool to practice listening for the "click".... That way I know what to expect next time....
Plus, on the new fuel filter I place a thin coat of fresh oil on both detents (the hump/retainer) so the truck fuel line clicks & locks smoothly. Also wipe a little oil on the retainer clamp- this will make it easy to slide the filter on & off.

The L is easy to change- try changing the ones on the Cobra. Its a pain to get your hand around the tank & pumpkin....

Users who are viewing this thread