FTBR + KW coil overs= Amazing

da2k17

Established Member
Just dropped the car off to get aligned. I drove it over the weekend after getting the FTBR kit installed. Then i threw in the KW coil over kit. Brought the car down far enough to make me happy but not so it cant be driven i.e. scrapping everything.

got the 5001 kit from FTBR and the upgraded toe links and adjustable sway bar. Get the removal tool, it really wasnt bad but i drilled the crap out of the bushings. took about 5 days to get the bushings done working 4-6 hours a day, its an easy job but takes a lot of time. i did it on jack stands and hand tools, a lift and air would have cut the time in half!

the rear feels planted! i havent beat on it yet but it feels great. i never had hop on the street before so i cant compare that but it feels a lot different. i dont have any extra noise as others said they had:shrug:.

the KW got me the look i wanted and the ride is smooth. they are fully adjustable ( ride height, bump and compression). the car is dropped about an inch all around. the front could come down more for a better look but the clearance would be an issue for me. with the setting half way on compression and bump the ride is just a little softer than stock. it feel so different over bumps and driving, its like a whole new car. i dont get the trucker bounce after hitting a bump now, its smooth going over and settles fast. Planted to the ground is the best way to describe it.

ill get better pics when i get it back later :beer:

2012-03-20_16-01-01_20-1.jpg

2012-03-20_16-05-50_833.jpg

2012-03-26_08-02-52_461.jpg

and i cleaned up the exhaust while i was under there...
2012-03-19_12-40-59_839.jpg

da2k17

Established Member
Stock and thmotorsports.com. they were the cheapest at $2300

TRBO VNM

What to the rear springs sit on? The fronts have the upper and lower perches, what about the rears? Are those other parts above the struts for the rear perches?

What spring rates did you go with?

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
there are 2 pieces missing from the photo. the rear springs sit where the stock ones came out of, yes the part above the strut is for the rear spring and there is another similar piece for it.

Essentially the rears are new springs and adjustable shocks, not true coil overs like the front.

spring rate was listed at 400/400. i called KW and they said that is the best setup for the vehicle and they did NOT suggest changing it, so i left it at that.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Oh ok, makes more sense. I know they usually do a threaded body like with the struts, so the rear seemed odd at first. The car looks really good and I think you are one of the very few on here that dropped the coin on the KW's. :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been tempted to try the KWs after hearing good things about them. I've been running MM coilovers for years.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Congrats on the new set-up :beer:

My only comment is the camber plates look a bit "anorexic". I would consider MM 4 bolt steel camber plates

101blur

Established Member
So the rears are actually not a coil-over spring setup...? from the pics it appears to be a spring with adjustable mounting perch..?

da2k17

Established Member
So the rears are actually not a coil-over spring setup...? from the pics it appears to be a spring with adjustable mounting perch..?

Correct. I didnt realize until they showed up and im like WTF, how does this work lol but it was an easy install and the ride is unbeatable.

03 dsg i definitely recommend them. They are expensive but it was nice not havi g to buy parts from a bunch of different companies. Ithink it makes setting them up much easier. I read a lot of threads about the MM ones but it seemed everyone had different opinions on them. So i went the safe route and am super happy i did.

Slowsvt i bought new ones not knowing the KW had them but it seemed like a lot of work to switch them out so i stuck with the ones already on the KW. I didnt compare them side by side but there werent any noticeable differences.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Slowsvt i bought new ones not knowing the KW had them but it seemed like a lot of work to switch them out so i stuck with the ones already on the KW. I didnt compare them side by side but there werent any noticeable differences.

Keep in mind with coilovers you’re putting the weight of the car on the shock towers, something they were not designed to do. A thick steel 4 bolt camber plate like the one MM sells will help distribute the load better and will stiffen up the top of the shock tower.

If you don't mind welding on the car you can reinforce the shock towers adding a doubler to the top (I used .050 chromoly sheet) and a vertical box like this inside the shock tower. This is more then you need but the box inside the tower will go a long way carrying the load to the frame rail.

Cobrashocktowerreinforcement2.jpg

Not totally necessary but without it the integrity of the structure is on the "marginal" side.

Users who are viewing this thread