Ft Worth TX BBQ places?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Ft W. for a wedding in a couple months. What's the best BBQ place in that neck of the woods? Urban spoon say rustys up in frisco has good ratings.

btw, I don't know squat about Texas style BBQ other than it's beef based. All I know is that I HATE vinegar based sauces.

Regards,
Rich

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Not sure about Ft. Worth....however, there are quite a few the closer to you get to Dallas.

Mike Anderson's BBQ (my personal favorite....go about once a week)
Sammy's BBQ (downtown Dallas)
Sonny Bryans BBQ
Uncle Sons BBQ (rated the best in Dallas) It's located in Mansfield which is about twenty minutes east of Ft. Worth.

Texas BBQ is beef based, but there is also a fair amount of pork, ham and turkey conjured up. The big difference between "northern" bbq is the sauce though, is most of it down here is vinegar (ketchup) based, and is somewhat tart. The northern crap is all sweet and runny...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
If you don't mind driving a little bit, there's Bob's BBQ in Ada, OK. I haven't been able to get by there, but people fly in from all of the place to eat there.

My in-laws live in Ft Worth and I remember them talking about a bbq joint, but I don't remember what it's called.

If you don't like vinegar based sauce, you probably will have a hard time finding something you like south of Kansas City. I've been a few places with yankee bbq, but not many.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Red Hot and Blues in Flowermound, its awesome. I think it's Kentucky style BBQ tho LOL

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Ft W. for a wedding in a couple months. What's the best BBQ place in that neck of the woods? Urban spoon say rustys up in frisco has good ratings.

btw, I don't know squat about Texas style BBQ other than it's beef based. All I know is that I HATE vinegar based sauces.

Regards,
Rich

TX BBQ is traditionally beef based, but we have great pork, chicken, and turkey too. The sauce is more tart here, but good BBQ doesn't need sauce.

Mika

Established Member
As mentioned before, hit up Mike Anderson's. It's not cheap, but damn is it good. It's in Dallas. They're only open for lunch, IIRC 10-2 or somewhere along those lines. DAMN GOOD FOOD.

Riscky's in downtown Fort Worth is decent for a chain.

Euless Main BBQ is damn good. It's halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth, in mid-cities. Only open Friday and Saturday from 11-7, and 11-3? on Sunday.

Not crazy about Sonny Bryan's. They're ok IMHO. But definitely hit up Mike Anderson's and Euless Main BBQ if you can.

If you got $$$$, hit up Bob's Steak and Chophouse in Grapevine or Dallas. Their steaks are damn good. Expect to drop $50/head there though.

Mika

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
Angelo's. It is close to downtown, a lot better than Riskey's, in my opinion. I am a bbq nut, and always try to hit Angelo's when visiting Ft Worth.

oilwell1415

Established Member
My wife called the in-laws tonight and they were at their fishing club meeting. The fishing club recommends Smoke PIt on Belknap off of 121, Cooper's in the stockyards near Billy Bob's, and Cousins.

slider701

Established Member
There is a new place in Ft. Worth that basically shares a parking lot with Billy Bob's. The place is called Coopers and it is awesome:

Cooper's BBQ: Fort Worth, Texas | (817) 626-6464

This is a traditional type of Texas BBQ similar to places like the ones you will find in Lockhart, TX (about 3 hrs south of Ft. Worth), like Blacks, Smitty's, and Kreuz:

City of Lockhart: Home

The City of Lockhart

When you go into Coopers they have big BBQ pits (8' x 20') that are filled with brisket, ribs, pork chops, sausage, and a bunch of other traditional Texas BBQ. You order your meat by the pound and then go get your fixings like redskin potato salad and a bunch of other good stuff. They have big vats of free baked beans, loaves of bread for your brisket, and tons of cold beer.

If you are in Ft. Worth it is the closest thing you will get to real Texas BBQ. And then you can go next door to Billy Bobs or wander the Stockyards hitting one of the many bars.

Users who are viewing this thread