Frying Pan Into the Fire -- Chip Shortage

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I have bought 12 of them and sold them to family for cost and friends for $100 over.. Its not hard to get them if you are patient.

I've tried to get them when they dropped online and as soon as the release time comes around the page basically crashes and when it comes back up they are already sold. I heard it's people using bots to make thr purchases and that is pretty much the only way you're going to get one right now. Where are you buying them from?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
This is why we need to do a better job at recycling old electronics and pulling the precious metals from the components.

I don't know how we will be able to sustain a fully electric future/green future without better supply chain infrastructure to accompany it. Can't exactly make electric cars if you don't have chipsets

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
This is why we need to do a better job at recycling old electronics and pulling the precious metals from the components.

I don't know how we will be able to sustain a fully electric future/green future without better supply chain infrastructure to accompany it. Can't exactly make electric cars if you don't have chipsets
It is unsustainable with current technology and mining techniques. There's only so much of a circuit board or electronic device that can bv be reclaimed economicly

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I've tried to get them when they dropped online and as soon as the release time comes around the page basically crashes and when it comes back up they are already sold. I heard it's people using bots to make thr purchases and that is pretty much the only way you're going to get one right now. Where are you buying them from?

Best Buy, Walmart, Target, PS Direct, and Amazon. I have multiple accounts on each and use incognito mode on Chrome. All but 1 were the disc version and none were the overpriced bundles.
I have also purchased 5 XBOX Series X consoles, those tend to be easier to get.

Ive been trying to get a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 for a friend but they never seem to do drops on those.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Best Buy, Walmart, Target, PS Direct, and Amazon. I have multiple accounts on each and use incognito mode on Chrome. All but 1 were the disc version and none were the overpriced bundles.
I have also purchased 5 XBOX Series X consoles, those tend to be easier to get.

Ive been trying to get a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 for a friend but they never seem to do drops on those.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a try then. Which one is the easiest to buy from in your opinion?

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
Hmm, I'll have to give that a try then. Which one is the easiest to buy from in your opinion?

Best Buy and Target are the easiest. They don't ship them which makes it harder for the bots to buy them all up. I'm not a fan of twitter but there are a few people that track PS5 drops, its worth following them.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Best Buy and Target are the easiest. They don't ship them which makes it harder for the bots to buy them all up. I'm not a fan of twitter but there are a few people that track PS5 drops, its worth following them.

I just found a resource that gives likely dates and one that shows how to easily get them off Amazon by using your wish list. Amazon is supposed to drop some soon so I will try them first and if that doesn't work then I'll try the others. Thanks for the info!

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I just found a resource that gives likely dates and one that shows how to easily get them off Amazon by using your wish list. Amazon is supposed to drop some soon so I will try them first and if that doesn't work then I'll try the others. Thanks for the info!

I was disappointed when Amazon didn't drop last week. Hopefully they do this week.
Target will have a drop on Thursday I believe.
Hope this helps! I need to get 2 more and missed the Sam's club drop early this morning.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I was disappointed when Amazon didn't drop last week. Hopefully they do this week.
Target will have a drop on Thursday I believe.
Hope this helps! I need to get 2 more and missed the Sam's club drop early this morning.

Apparently Amazon has about 50k that are supposed to drop soon, at any time actually.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Pretty serious shit.

Renesas fire-related production pause could last three months, says TrendForce
  • Yesterday, chipmaker Renesas (OTCPK:RNECF,OTCPK:RNECY) said production would be paused for up to one month at the N3 building at the Naka Factory located in Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture, due to last week's fire in the clean room.
  • Research firm TrendForce says three months is its conservative estimate for when the fab can get back to its pre-fire level of wafer start capacity.
  • The Naka fab mainly produces MCUs and SoCs for automotive, industrial, and IoT application. The N3 building houses the 12-inch product lines.
  • Renesas is one of the top five largest automotive MCU suppliers along with StMicroelectronics (STM -3.4%), Infineon, NXP Semiconductors (NXPI -5.0%), Texas Instruments (TXN -1.2%), and Microchip (MCHP -3.7%).
  • The fire will add to the ongoing global semiconductor shortage, which also means foundries don't have the capacity to quickly help Renesas replace lost production. And the auto chip peers likewise lack the capacity to financially benefit from orders shifted from Renesas.
  • Related: Earlier today, Texas Instruments and Microchip were upgraded to Buy at Longbow as the "semi cycle is far from over."

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Playstation direct should be dropping today

I got in the queue today but wasn't even close. I was refreshing the page regularly but I think it came up when I was in the post office for a half hour while they were trying to find my package so by the time I was able to refresh it I was too far back in line.

I saw an article earlier that said this chip shortage very well might be a crisis rather than just a shortage.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Intel stock rallies on $20B manufacturing expansion to become global foundry player
  • At today's Unleashed event, new Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) CEO Pat Gelsinger announced a major manufacturing expansion, provided a 7nm product update, and outlined Intel's goal of becoming a significant player in global foundry capacity.
  • The manufacturing expansion will start with a $20B investment for two fabs in Arizona. The facilities will be located on the Ocotillo campus and planning and construction will begin this year.
  • The delayed 7nm process is progressing with tape in of 7nm compute tile for "Meteor Lake" expected in Q2. The advance was driven by Intel's further adoption of EUV lithography, which includes an equipment partnership with ASML (NASDAQ:ASML)
  • Intel wants to become a "major provider" of foundry capacity, establishing the Intel Foundry Services business to serve customers in the United States and Europe.
  • Gelsinger reiterates that Intel will continue producing the majority of its products internally, but Intel will also grow its relationship with third-party fabs. The external fabs will use advanced processes to manufacture a range of modular tiles, including core Intel client and data center computing offerings, starting in 2023.
  • Foundry giant TSMC (NYSE:TSM) currently manufactures some Intel products and reports earlier this year suggested Intel would lean harder on its partner.
  • Intel and IBM (NYSE:IBM) also announce a research collaboration focused on creating next-generation logic and packaging technologies.
  • Guidance: Intel expects to exceed its previously provided Q1 non-GAAP revenue and EPS guidance. Last quarter, Intel forecast Q1 revenue of $17.5B and $1.10 EPs.
  • The FY21 forecast includes $72B in revenue (consensus: $72.65B), $4.55 EPS (consensus: $4.78), 56.5% gross margin, $19-20B capex, and $10B FCF.
  • Intel shares are up 4.4% after hours. Rival AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) is down 2.3%. ASML is up 3.8%. TSMC is down 4.55%.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hyundai sees production hit from April due to chip shortage – FT

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I can remember a time when a chip was something we ate as we cruised in the 442.

what a shame

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Auto chip shortage worsens after blackouts and fire, sending semi suppliers higher
  • Earlier today, Nio announced a five-day production suspension at the JAC-NIO manufacturing plant in Hefei due to the global semiconductor shortage. No dropped its Q1 vehicle delivery forecast to 19.5M from the prior 20-20.5M range.
  • The semiconductor shortage was largely due to spiking pandemic-related demand for notebooks, smartphones, game consoles and other consumer electronics. The auto industry faced plunging demand early in the pandemic. Automakers largely cut chip orders and lost their already low priority at semiconductor foundries.
  • The auto industry then rebounded faster than expected, leaving the automakers scrambling for foundry capacity that doesn't exist.
  • Adding capacity take significant time and money even for foundry giant TSMC (TSM +2.6%). The shortage was also recently worsened by a weather-related blackout in Austin, Texas, and a fire at a fab of auto chip giant Renesas (OTCPK:RNECF,OTCPK:RNECY).
  • Last month, Austin authorities asked the local foundry of Samsung (OTC:SSNNF,OTC:SSNLF) and fabs of chip suppliers NXP Semiconductors (NXPI +1.1%) and Infineon (OTCQX:IFNNY) to pause operations due to the local blackouts.
  • Last week, Infineon said the operations pause will have a negative impact in the high double-digit million euro range on Q3 revenue.
  • The same day, Renesas first revealed a fire in one building of a facility that produces components for automotive, industrial, and IoT components. The company said the fire damage will take its 12-inch production offline for up to a month.
  • Research firm TrendForce estimates that it will take at least three months for Renesas to return to pre-fire production levels. And, due to the semiconductor shortage, there isn't external foundry capacity available to cover the lost production.
  • The continuing shortages do offer pricing power to the auto chip suppliers for the stock they do have, which is pushing shares of market players STMicroelectronics (STM +2.2%), Texas Instruments (TXN +1.9%), and Microchip (MCHP +1.3%) higher.
  • Deeper dive: Auto chip shortage driving $61B in lost sales faces complicated recovery

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Nissan still plagued by production issues
  • Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY) is making some production cuts across operations in the U.S. and Mexico to account for a shortage of semiconductors.
  • The Japanese automaker's plants in Mississippi, Tennessee and Aguascalientes, Mexico have seen production reduced to various levels.
  • The global chip shortage has impacted most of the major automakers, although the situation is expected to improve within a few months.
  • Nissan, Toyota and Honda are said to be most affected by the chip shortage.
  • Separate from the chip issue, Nissan is putting all employees in its industrial complex in Resende on furlough between March 26 and April 9 due to COVID-19 cases.
  • Earlier in the year, an earthquake in Japan disrupted Nissan's production plans.

Users who are viewing this thread