Frustrated with Enthusiast Vehicle Market.

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I'm glad I kept my two classics and found the 01 Cobra roller. I probably won't be messing with any other project cars in my lifetime. The time and money for even one car is ridiculous and my current profession makes it tough to actually strip a car down so I can take it down to the bare metal, replace rusted panels, and then move on to body work. In my house in Texas I have a decent sized shop to work in, but who knows where my next position will take me.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I like to look around on Copart and saw this foxbody.
While the interior looks pretty mint...its not super well kept and I bet the rear end damage is worse than it looks.
But someone bid $2K before the auction even started.
I honestly don't have a clue what something like that is worth?
https://www.copart.com/lot/53989282/salvage-1989-ford-mustang-lx-ny-long-island
It states estimated retail is 20k . My buddy found a decent red fox GT in someone's barn. I've only seen a picture of it. But he stole it for 1k. He claims no rust.

I bet that one you linked will sell for 4-6k...or more.
345404fb861ad25a2ccac69e2612a855.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
A freshly imported sub 100k mile R32 GTR was $25k just 2-3 years ago up in WA.

Now they're $50k.

That's probably my next car. However ill wait for prices to come down some.

Bruh, GTRs were $15k in 2016 and RB26s only $4k for a full set. Now a RB26 is $15k.

PXL_20230213_230749966.MP.jpg

By the time I get the GTS-4 sorted out I should have just bought a built N1 for $45k.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Dusten

Established Member

Dusten

Established Member
M
Funny way to spell "buy a plane ticket and buy in person".
My buddy's never been to Japan and has imported plenty of vehicles.

But I have seen some sketchy shit come over. A local guy bought an r32 that looked like it was brined based on the amount of rust.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It states estimated retail is 20k . My buddy found a decent red fox GT in someone's barn. I've only seen a picture of it. But he stole it for 1k. He claims no rust.

I bet that one you linked will sell for 4-6k...or more.
345404fb861ad25a2ccac69e2612a855.jpg

That is an unbelievable steal. Even if there was no engine or transmission, based on that pic, the shell is worth multiple times more than $1k.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Property tax? What does the city do for me to justify how much they charge for property taxes? We had our basement completely redone 5+ years ago. A building permit is a requirement...why? So they can try to come back and do an assessment on our house, just to raise our property taxes even more! I never let them inside to look either. They actually stop by the house and ask..
We put in a pool last spring - nothing fancy, 16x36 inground liner pool. The county came out last month to poke around and a week later I received a reassessment in the mail - apparently they felt that the pool increased the value of our property by 200k. Infuriating

LS WUT

Established Member
When I was in college in 2008 I thought a $80k/yr salary was crazy money and I'd be well off and living high in the hog. I'm a little shy of 6 figures but I'm not balling out of control like I thought I'd be. It's actually depressing to see what I have versus what I thought I'd have. We just finished watching breaking bad and it's extremely tempting venture down that path

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It’s wild for sure man. Ladyfriend and I make a little over 6 figures. I want to say with random things give or take I made about $70k. This new position I accepted I should be making about $85k if I do it right. I think what keeps me not being under a boat is I don’t have any vices really aside from my cars. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t go clubbing or anything. My pull out game is on point, so no children for me. However my list of cars I’d like to own is slowly dwindling due to the Gas situations, and the ridiculous prices. My dream of a clean 96-98 Toyota Supra are gone. Wild to think I can buy a 2013 GT500, a hellcat charger, and still have enough money to go FBO on both and have some change Left over just for an “ok” Supra. So I’ll stick to my NFS Underground 2 build and dream on.

OX1

Established Member
Those that have only driven “modern” cars, say, 2000 my and newer have no idea of how poorly the 60’s and 70’s cars actually are in comparison. Lots of muscle cars were ordered with no ps, no pb. Many had drum brakes all around. Steering was vague at best. A 1970 LS6 Chevelle sits on basically the same suspension as a 1955 Belaire.
True, but it can also be fixed on many 60/70's cars. My buddy has a 67 Buick vert (A-body I think, I'm not a GM guy).

Has front QA1 Upper/Lower A-arms with revised geometry knuckles (both sides of upper A-arms adjustable for lengths, for easy alignment), QA1 coil-over fronts (single adjustable), UMI splined 1-1/4 front bar, Wilwood front disk.

Rear 9" with revised upper susp mounts, UMI upper/lower control arms with delrin bushings, QA1 single adjustable coil over rear shocks, "newer" Camaro rear disks, Hellwig 1-1/8 rear bar.

No matter how much I blab on about how insane it handles, you won't believe how good it really is, until you are in it. Stops just as well as anything else made today (sans ABS, but he is working on a stand alone system, BMW I think). It also rides way better than it should, at least on reasonable roads (I've never been in it, in city type pothole filled crap).

Best of both worlds, cool looking classic, that sticks with most modern perf cars.
Next up I think is a 6.0 LS.

Last Auto-X we went too below.............

20221008_132244.jpg

Bullitt1448

Established Member
True, but it can also be fixed on many 60/70's cars. My buddy has a 67 Buick vert (A-body I think, I'm not a GM guy).

Has front QA1 Upper/Lower A-arms with revised geometry knuckles (both sides of upper A-arms adjustable for lengths, for easy alignment), QA1 coil-over fronts (single adjustable), UMI splined 1-1/4 front bar, Wilwood front disk.

Rear 9" with revised upper susp mounts, UMI upper/lower control arms with delrin bushings, QA1 single adjustable coil over rear shocks, "newer" Camaro rear disks, Hellwig 1-1/8 rear bar.

No matter how much I blab on about how insane it handles, you won't believe how good it really is, until you are in it. Stops just as well as anything else made today (sans ABS, but he is working on a stand alone system, BMW I think). It also rides way better than it should, at least on reasonable roads (I've never been in it, in city type pothole filled crap).

Best of both worlds, cool looking classic, that sticks with most modern perf cars.

Last Auto-X we went too below.............

20221008_132244.jpg
sweet ride, sure you can make them stop and steer if you throw enough money at them. but stock out of the box even the very best ones were marginal at best and things like the Road Runner, Chargers, Chevelles etc, we never good at those things out of the box. Co,pare them to today's cars and there really is no comparison. even the cheapest car today is light years ahead as far as stopping, steering and safety

OX1

Established Member
All I hear is whining in this thread about how much cool cars cost. Go build your own.

Took me about 10 minutes to gather this together. 350-4bbl, AC car in super nice shape. $12K. Sell those stupid 20's and buy some used 17/18's like my buddy has.

Hotchkis FULL susp package $4800​

Wilwood 12" 6 piston big brakes front. $1200

11' Rear disk with emerg brakes kit $430

Toss a couple of engine mods at it, cam kit ($500), exh ($530), Sniper ($1475)., EFI tank ($579)

Were at $21,514 , Lets say $3486 for fuel system, guages, bucket seats, fix AC, driveshaft maybe etc...

So for 25 grand, are we even at mildly optioned, new Corolla money yet??

Or just keep whining!!!!!!!!!

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I were going to do a Buick, I would have to be a 455.
I built a 68 GS 400 for my brother. Used a 70' 455 engine. Bored out .030, ported the heads, cam, intake, carb, headers and exhaust. Drive down the road at 50 mph, floor the gas, (turbo 400) downshift to 2nd and smoke the tires for days. Massive torque. Pass everything except a gas station...
Took it to the drag strip once. On street tires (circa 1998) it went 12.80 at 112 mph having to pedal the throttle 3 times due to tire spin.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
sweet ride, sure you can make them stop and steer if you throw enough money at them. but stock out of the box even the very best ones were marginal at best and things like the Road Runner, Chargers, Chevelles etc, we never good at those things out of the box. Co,pare them to today's cars and there really is no comparison. even the cheapest car today is light years ahead as far as stopping, steering and safety
Well know kidding.

I hope a car that is 40-50 years newer has better technology....

It's like comparing your old dial telephone to the newest smartphone....

jessie_sanders

Established Member
All I hear is whining in this thread about how much cool cars cost. Go build your own.

Took me about 10 minutes to gather this together. 350-4bbl, AC car in super nice shape. $12K. Sell those stupid 20's and buy some used 17/18's like my buddy has.

Hotchkis FULL susp package $4800​

Wilwood 12" 6 piston big brakes front. $1200

11' Rear disk with emerg brakes kit $430

Toss a couple of engine mods at it, cam kit ($500), exh ($530), Sniper ($1475)., EFI tank ($579)

Were at $21,514 , Lets say $3486 for fuel system, guages, bucket seats, fix AC, driveshaft maybe etc...

So for 25 grand, are we even at mildly optioned, new Corolla money yet??

Or just keep whining!!!!!!!!!
I see what you're saying but who wants a Skylark?

Notch fox's are out of reach. Iroc z's are skyrocketing for some reason. Someone has pointed out the rx7 and supra price balloon. Everything interesting is outrageous.

OX1

Established Member
I see what you're saying but who wants a Skylark?

Notch fox's are out of reach. Iroc z's are skyrocketing for some reason. Someone has pointed out the rx7 and supra price balloon. Everything interesting is outrageous.

Interesting to who?? Are you buying just because the rest of the world seems to love it (and priced it out of your range)?? You in on the group think that HAS to have the highest perf version of a car, or would you rather have one that performs 100 times better for probably less money (overall). I'm a Ford and fox guy big time, but WTF is so interesting about a 5.0 notch?

The notches are ugly, many times no options, sometimes don't even have air. The brakes and handling are dismal, not really any better than most old muscle cars. I had (not stock anymore) a ****STOCK*** NEW 86, 5.0 fox, not that great of a driver really.

The Buick was just an example, you telling there is NO car on the planet that interests you, that the masses haven't anointed as "worthy", and jacked the price through the roof? Even if you had to throw some perf parts at it, it now becomes a sleeper. Know how much fun it is riding the ass of some new perf pck Stang or Camaro, through the turns with an old ass ugly yellow Buick vert??

As mentioned, if you are a poor (I kind of am, but mainly because I have 20 odd "toys" of one form or another, so it's kind of by choice), you can either keep whining, or build your own kick ass ride, that just doesn't have the oh wow pedigree that gets you internet likes.

andymarkv

Established Member
I completely hear ya, but I'm conflicted... While I respect resto mods...a well done completed car is usually close in cost to a new late model.(I bought my '19 PP1, 301a, 5.0/MT6 new in '20 for $36K)
That used to be not the case. Now that costs have gone crazy...other than having a more atheistically pleasing appearance...there isn't as much of an advantage of making an old car, drive like a new car.

There is also something to be said about driving an old car that is original to the period. My neighbor has a restored '69 Nova SS. He restored it to stock, then did "Day 2" mods like his dad did back in the day.
It's fun as hell to blast around with the 427 barking through the side pipes and banging the M21 through the gears/4.10's, while wobbling around on bias plys! But...other than some spirited short trips...thats about all its good for. You ain't gonna commute it 40 miles a day to work.
Nova.JPG

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting to who?? Are you buying just because the rest of the world seems to love it (and priced it out of your range)?? You in on the group think that HAS to have the highest perf version of a car, or would you rather have one that performs 100 times better for probably less money (overall). I'm a Ford and fox guy big time, but WTF is so interesting about a 5.0 notch?

The notches are ugly, many times no options, sometimes don't even have air. The brakes and handling are dismal, not really any better than most old muscle cars. I had (not stock anymore) a ****STOCK*** NEW 86, 5.0 fox, not that great of a driver really.

The Buick was just an example, you telling there is NO car on the planet that interests you, that the masses haven't anointed as "worthy", and jacked the price through the roof? Even if you had to throw some perf parts at it, it now becomes a sleeper. Know how much fun it is riding the ass of some new perf pck Stang or Camaro, through the turns with an old ass ugly yellow Buick vert??

As mentioned, if you are a poor (I kind of am, but mainly because I have 20 odd "toys" of one form or another, so it's kind of by choice), you can either keep whining, or build your own kick ass ride, that just doesn't have the oh wow pedigree that gets you internet likes.
Before I bought my Shelby, I was thinking of an older restomod. Guy had a 65 Chevelle with FI and all the suspension work for around 25k. It was a 4 door though. Kind of kicking myself in the ass about it. Would have been 70k if it was a 2 door.

Users who are viewing this thread