Frustrated with Enthusiast Vehicle Market.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So, I'm just frustrated.

I graduated HS at the dawn of the millennium and by that time the vintage Muscle Car market had exploded. I remember many friends with father's and uncles who had piles of old Mopar or Chevy stuff they picked up for cheap in the 80's and 90's. $1500 for a clean Duster, $5k for a 318 Barracuda, etc.

By then, it was unobtainable. I got into 80's and 90's cars instead. Much of that too was just out of reach. Typical cars being in the high-teens. 3.0 and 3.2 Carreras were around $15k. Turbo FC3S for $10k, FDs for $18k and even the vaunted MKIV Supra could be had for under $30k.

Here we are 20 years later, I'm finally making big bucks and everything has gone up 5x.

I once dreamed of having a collection of cool JDM and Euro machines. In 2008 I could have had nearly that with $40k. Now $40k doesn't even buy one of the 80/90s big sports cars, let alone 3-5 like it did 15 years ago.

So I'm like, OKAY. Missed that ship, just like a dude finally hitting his prime in 2005 would have missed the classic Muscle Car bargains of the 80's and 90's.

But....

Unlike 2005, where we had tons of cheap awesome 80's and 90's cars... What the **** do we have now?

Early 2000's cars (Cobra, STi, Evo, 350Z, C6, E46 M3, etc) have all jumped significantly in price. There are no options for chump change like a $2,500 240SX, $4k GSX, $6k M3 E36 was in 2005.

R35's S197s, GT500, Vipers, Hellcats, Scatpacks etc all basically appreciated. Same with water-cooled Porsches. I was just starting to see 996's dipping into the teens ans boom, shits back in the +Mid 20's.

Like, bruh. Jesus Christ this is bullshit.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Youtube link not work safe for language

So by "bug bucks" are we talking.....upper 6 figures?

*edit* such is life man, shitty, I know. Prices went up because of people exactly like you; people that couldn't get the stuff they wanted when it was new/ when they were younger, so they worked hard and made more money and started buying the stuff they wanted when they were younger. Hence, the price increase

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Back in high school, I always told my buddy to get a old project car now. They are getting hard to get. This was in 01. I would drag him to any cool car sitting around. 69 corvette, 66 Charger, 68 Olds 442 drop top.

He is making money now, and looking for a 64 Falcon. Just crazy money for pieces of shit. I picked up my 70 Fastback in 2001 for $6500. She needed a little work, but it was interior and mechanical. Body work was done. Still has the 351 Cleveland and Tko-600 5- speed. Nowadays, you have to pay for simplicity.

robvas

Established Member
You can get a nice built SN95 if you look around enough.

Funny thing is even a shitty 2000 GT beater car that would have been $4500 doubled in price and kids haven't started getting rid of them yet.

The WRX's all rusted out because the dumbasses that had them, drove them in the snow.

Remember when you couldn't give away a G8 or GTO? Prices are way up on those.

It's amazing what people want 15-20k for now.

I wonder if you could find a cheap, solid 80's Porsche or RX7 to put an LS motor in. Maybe a Datsun.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
$230k dual income. A far cry from $28k in 2004 while going to college.
I'm not saying you're a poor or you don't work hard enough, or anything of the sort. I'm just saying it sounds like your pricing expectations as well as your definition of big bucks are still stuck in the 00s; 230k might have been "big bucks" in 00s but not now.

Our economy is trash, inflation is up, and country is circling the drain. Consider yourself lucky and keep grinding to get what you want man

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So, I'm just frustrated.

I graduated HS at the dawn of the millennium and by that time the vintage Muscle Car market had exploded. I remember many friends with father's and uncles who had piles of old Mopar or Chevy stuff they picked up for cheap in the 80's and 90's. $1500 for a clean Duster, $5k for a 318 Barracuda, etc.

By then, it was unobtainable. I got into 80's and 90's cars instead. Much of that too was just out of reach. Typical cars being in the high-teens. 3.0 and 3.2 Carreras were around $15k. Turbo FC3S for $10k, FDs for $18k and even the vaunted MKIV Supra could be had for under $30k.

Here we are 20 years later, I'm finally making big bucks and everything has gone up 5x.

I once dreamed of having a collection of cool JDM and Euro machines. In 2008 I could have had nearly that with $40k. Now $40k doesn't even buy one of the 80/90s big sports cars, let alone 3-5 like it did 15 years ago.

So I'm like, OKAY. Missed that ship, just like a dude finally hitting his prime in 2005 would have missed the classic Muscle Car bargains of the 80's and 90's.

But....

Unlike 2005, where we had tons of cheap awesome 80's and 90's cars... What the **** do we have now?

Early 2000's cars (Cobra, STi, Evo, 350Z, C6, E46 M3, etc) have all jumped significantly in price. There are no options for chump change like a $2,500 240SX, $4k GSX, $6k M3 E36 was in 2005.

R35's S197s, GT500, Vipers, Hellcats, Scatpacks etc all basically appreciated. Same with water-cooled Porsches. I was just starting to see 996's dipping into the teens ans boom, shits back in the +Mid 20's.

Like, bruh. Jesus Christ this is bullshit.

Going to sound silly but shit like BaT. Used to have to know someone with one or hunt one down. Now one sells for silly money everyone sees it and the next is asking more.

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Remember when you couldn't give away a G8 or GTO? Prices are way up on those.

It's amazing what people want 15-20k for now.

Exactly

I wonder if you could find a cheap, solid 80's Porsche or RX7 to put an LS motor in. Maybe a Datsun.

Nope.

This would have been $500 in 2005 at best .

Screenshot_20230214-165535~2.png

Zemedici

Established Member
I know this struggle all to well, i bet we’re the same age.

Been Shopping hardcore for an evo, cars that i used to see regularly for $15k, are now double that.

FD RX7, everyone hated them and you could find them all day long. Now shells are 5 figures. What.

And don’t even get me started on the wild ass 240 prices.

Our generation pushed the prices of these cars to insanity. R34 GTRs and Mark IV Supras are Unobtainable now, unless you’re cross shopping a Lamborghini

Blown 89

Established Member
Everything is an investment and the value of money has been lost during times of economic prosperity.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Barrett-Jackson and Mecum auctions on tv dove prices up too. Guys would see a a restored 440/6 Roadrunner cross the block for big bucks and assume their rusted out blown motor POS in the back yard was worth way more. The bad part is stupid people paid stupid prices for rusty old junk

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Glad I bought my 03 when I did. It was still too much money for what it is but I would have paid 10-15k more had I waited even 6-8 months.

$230k a year is richer than 99% of the population on earth. Don’t lose perspective.

Like someone said, this hobby is about dead with our government and where the world is going. I wish I had a different hobby…I’ll be steering my son in a different direction. He won’t even be able to buy a gas vehicle by the time he is 16…

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Glad I bought my 03 when I did. It was still too much money for what it is but I would have paid 10-15k more had I waited even 6-8 months.

$230k a year is richer than 99% of the population on earth. Don’t lose perspective.

Like someone said, this hobby is about dead with our government and where the world is going. I wish I had a different hobby…I’ll be steering my son in a different direction. He won’t even be able to buy a gas vehicle by the time he is 16…

I was so ****ing stupid

I bought my Shelby for $19k right before the pandemic…

Sold it cause I got offered like 5k more.

Now I realize I’ll likely never get another one for anywhere near that

LS WUT

Established Member
I know this struggle all to well, i bet we’re the same age.

Been Shopping hardcore for an evo, cars that i used to see regularly for $15k, are now double that.

FD RX7, everyone hated them and you could find them all day long. Now shells are 5 figures. What.

And don’t even get me started on the wild ass 240 prices.

Our generation pushed the prices of these cars to insanity. R34 GTRs and Mark IV Supras are Unobtainable now, unless you’re cross shopping a Lamborghini
I feel this on a spiritual level. I told the ladyfriend my last car I buy will be a 1997 Toyota Supra. It’s hard to believe the prices on these things, however as been stated above. Our generation had pushed the prices of these up significantly. The cars we drooled over in our teens are now skyrocketed because our generation all wants them now. It’s hard to believe about 15 years ago I would dream of doing anything to obtain an 03 cobra. I even talked of selling a kidney for the $17k-$20k it would take to get there. I often times get told to sell some cars, and “grow up” for lack of better terms. However all the cars I have are either sought after, or will be eventually.

LS WUT

Established Member

It’s sad when you say it like that. Even though it’s true it sucks to hear, and even harder to read.

robvas

Established Member
I'm not saying you're a poor or you don't work hard enough, or anything of the sort. I'm just saying it sounds like your pricing expectations as well as your definition of big bucks are still stuck in the 00s; 230k might have been "big bucks" in 00s but not now
$230k can be a lot of money if you live in a flyover state and didn't do anything like buy a $500k house

You should be able to buy any care you want if you bring that home and live in a low cost of living area. Unless you just started making that in the last year or two when salaries magically skyrocketed

noco5.0

Established Member
I would like to find a notch back fox body but the prices are stupid. Add our terrible emissions regulations on top of that and it makes the hobby a lot less fun. Everytime I think about buying an older car again I quickly remember what money pits they are. I'll stick to the newer stuff still expensive but reliable and dollar for dollar they are better cars.

Users who are viewing this thread