FRPS why is it still dealer item only still?

oldmodman

Established Member
They have them at RockAuto for $81.70 to $88.79

Are the ones from KB genuine Ford? If they are I will be ordering another just to keep in the trunk.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Very true. Try showing up with a big block swapped into a car that didn't come with that engine.

When I needed a battery, I asked the guy which one they recommend for an 03 cobra with a lot of accessories.

"Hold on sir, do you have the 4.6l v8, or 4.6l supercharged v8?"

"I have the 5.3L twin turbo v8"

"You don't have an 03 sir, that option is not in the system."

"It's in the car, it's swapped, can you just tell me the battery?"

"Well I can tell you which battery is for that car, but ........."

"Ok I just need that size battery but with higher capacity or longevity, I have a lot of accessories"

"What kind of sound system?"

"Stock"

"You'll be fine with the stock capacity battery"

"No. I have a diff, oil and fuel cooler, 2 fuel pumps, a spark system booster and electric gates..."

"Ya unless you run a bigger amp or -

"Never mind, I'll find something online, good bye."

Alternator shopping. Is an equal joke.

"I need an alternator for a 99-01 mustang cobra."

"Ok, year of the car?"

"2003"

"The computer says the 03 needs an 8 rib..... So you have to.... Can't use 99-01......"

"I have converted to a 6 rib, I just need that alternator"

"It probably won't fit.... Shouldn't do that... Supercharger belt slip...."

"It's turbo, pleas sell me what I'm asking for, thanks."

"...random listless rambling.... 100 questions...I love mustangs.... My uncles sons brothers moms brothers dads friend has the fastest mustang..."

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
"I need a water pump for a 460"

"What vehicle is that in?"

"I think it came out of a 71 pick up. So go with that"

"I need to know what vehicle it's in."

"It's been swapped into a 1970 Mustang. But that car wasn't available with the 460. So I need one from a pick up."

"I have to go with what vehicle the engine is in."

"Fine. It's in a 1970 Mustang fastback. "

"I'm sorry, but that engine was never available in that car."

"No shit? Maybe that's why I said it's swapped."

"Oh yeah. So what year pick up was that?"

blk02edge

Established Member
When I needed a battery, I asked the guy which one they recommend for an 03 cobra with a lot of accessories.

"Hold on sir, do you have the 4.6l v8, or 4.6l supercharged v8?"

"I have the 5.3L twin turbo v8"

"You don't have an 03 sir, that option is not in the system."
."

sounds like you are just being difficult.. parts store guys dont care if its bored/stroked, could have just said 4.6l and done your own research on what battery is best. I feel bad for the parts store guys have to deal with this. They arent properly paid professionals..

I never have this problem because Im not too thick to think a parts store guy is going to know more about my car than me. Its easy enough to just give them a part number

Last edited:

Coxy

Established Member
sounds like you are just being difficult.. parts store guys dont care if its bored/stroked, could have just said 4.6l and done your own research on what battery is best. I feel bad for the parts store guys have to deal with this. They arent properly paid professionals..

I never have this problem because Im not too thick to think a parts store guy is going to know more about my car than me. Its easy enough to just give them a part number

Agreed, never really had much of an issue. Had great luck giving the motor info if engine parts are needed, or chassis info if that is what I'm after. If it's anything oddball, I come armed with part numbers. They deal with miserable people all day long, no use being another one of those to them.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Do you really have to ask the counter guy to recommend a higher CCA rated battery? Good god.

^ Well that explains why my optima's kept failing... Oh wait... when I wanted a battery to fit the demands, and my optima's kept dying, which are higher cold cranking amp units that fit the location, i didn't find anything online. Everyone says get an optima. I asked the guy selling batteries if he knew of anything. He didn't. Cca isn't a battery's only metric, and because my alternator is located in my intake valley, it gets hot easy, and quickly wears. If it can't fully handle recharging the battery, which is trunk mounted, it is a downward spiral regardless of the cca.

To contritely address your comment, my issue is with my alternator location and heat.

Agreed, never really had much of an issue. Had great luck giving the motor info if engine parts are needed, or chassis info if that is what I'm after. If it's anything oddball, I come armed with part numbers. They deal with miserable people all day long, no use being another one of those to them.

Nice work, me too. I tell them what's custom/won't apply. I spell out in a direct and non condescending way why I need what I need. Sometimes they are listening and help me quickly.

For things like oil, oil filters, fuel filters and spark plugs, it does matter that it's not a traditional 4.6, though I don't buy those from an otc parts store. But you are wrong, so in the spirit of making one another look bad, enjoy being wrong. If I ordered factory spark plugs, I'd easily foul them in a week tops. If I ordered (and obviously installed) a factory 4.6 head gasket, I'd blow my engine up. If I ordered a factory alternator, I'd be unable to use it. If I ordered a factory battery, it would die quickly. If I ordered a factory brake fluid bottle, my brake feel would deminish. If I ordered a timing belt for a 4.6, id have some serious trouble to make it work. If I ordered a 4.6 water pump, bye bye. If I ordered a 4.6 fan, or radiator bye bye. You get the idea.

Then there are other times, where they tell me it's not in the system and I'm mistaken, then I have to usually tell them just sell me this xyz piece. All the while, they snicker or act rude, or try to explain to me how that car is actually equipped/works, etc.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
optima batteries suck period. If you want quality go with northstar.

Again. It's not even a parts guys business to know or care about what plugs or oil to run in a CUSTOM ENGINE. The way you portrayed yourself with your cute story about how you have "THE turbo 5.3..." like it's something they came with... Is just fuel for you looking arrogant.

/End rant, I'm sick of people like this wasting peoples time in the store talking down to people who just want to make it to coffee break.

Last edited:

Coxy

Established Member
^ Well that explains why my optima's kept failing... Oh wait... when I wanted a battery to fit the demands, and my optima's kept dying, which are higher cold cranking amp units that fit the location, i didn't find anything online. Everyone says get an optima. I asked the guy selling batteries if he knew of anything. He didn't. Cca isn't a battery's only metric, and because my alternator is located in my intake valley, it gets hot easy, and quickly wears. If it can't fully handle recharging the battery, which is trunk mounted, it is a downward spiral regardless of the cca.

To contritely address your comment, my issue is with my alternator location and heat.

Nice work, me too. I tell them what's custom/won't apply. I spell out in a direct and non condescending way why I need what I need. Sometimes they are listening and help me quickly.

For things like oil, oil filters, fuel filters and spark plugs, it does matter that it's not a traditional 4.6, though I don't buy those from an otc parts store. But you are wrong, so in the spirit of making one another look bad, enjoy being wrong. If I ordered factory spark plugs, I'd easily foul them in a week tops. If I ordered (and obviously installed) a factory 4.6 head gasket, I'd blow my engine up. If I ordered a factory alternator, I'd be unable to use it. If I ordered a factory battery, it would die quickly. If I ordered a factory brake fluid bottle, my brake feel would deminish. If I ordered a timing belt for a 4.6, id have some serious trouble to make it work. If I ordered a 4.6 water pump, bye bye. If I ordered a 4.6 fan, or radiator bye bye. You get the idea.

Then there are other times, where they tell me it's not in the system and I'm mistaken, then I have to usually tell them just sell me this xyz piece. All the while, they snicker or act rude, or try to explain to me how that car is actually equipped/works, etc.

Not trying to make anyone look bad. Just saying it's not difficult to get parts ordered with out drama. Go armed with part numbers, since everything you ever need to find is on the Internet. Or buy the guy a coffee, and look through various parts options if you're the first guy to pioneer a parts experiment.
It's easy if you want it to be.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Did the Ford one's go up in price? I always found them for around 80 dollars. Like mentioned buy from auto nation or Tasca.

Another bonus for going return fuel system, yes mine's still hooked up but it doesn't see crazy fuel spikes like a returnless setup creates.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Not trying to make anyone look bad. Just saying it's not difficult to get parts ordered with out drama. Go armed with part numbers, since everything you ever need to find is on the Internet. Or buy the guy a coffee, and look through various parts options if you're the first guy to pioneer a parts experiment.
It's easy if you want it to be.

This, Autozone/Advance let you order online and pick up at store, plus there are 20%-40% coupons. Order, Save, parts are waiting at the counter when you get there. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread