FRPP/Whipple 525 kit - Upping the Power

StangLoveR

Established Member
So I decided to start out on the conservative side by ordering the FRPP/Whipple 525 HP kit. I understand Ford's tune is extremely conservative, and that using the very same pulley I could be making much more power.

Who can I get a tune from to up the power? I've always done custom dyno tuning, but that may not be an option right now so I may have to stick to a tune sent to me by a reputable tuner.

Can I use a "mail-order" tune safely? For example, I understand lots of people are using tunes by Justin of VMP to make monster power with their Roush TVS blowers. Those are "mail-order" tunes. So I assume it indeed can be done safely. Who can I go to for a Whipple tune?

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Low rev limiter and TiVCT OP is turned off in the FRPP kit.
Simply raising th rev limiter will add 25+, and with custom dyno tuning of the TiVCT there's probably another 20+.
All without adding boost or ignition timing.

grnenvy

Established Member
If thats a 6psi kit with warrenty why not leave the tune alone since it's probable pig rich and add more boost. I would buy a 7 and 9 pound pulley for it. Then I would take it to a local dyno that can read the air/fuel and have them swap out the pulley while watching the air/fuel. U can probable add a good amount of boost with that tune and still be safe. That way u can add alot of pwr without voiding your warrenty. If u have any warrenty issue's just pop the original pulley back on and your good to go.
But if you don't have a warrenty get a real tune and enjoy alot more pwr.
It doesn't matter what blower u have Justin can get u a great tune and if u data log it for him it gets even better.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
So I decided to start out on the conservative side by ordering the FRPP/Whipple 525 HP kit. I understand Ford's tune is extremely conservative, and that using the very same pulley I could be making much more power.

Who can I get a tune from to up the power? I've always done custom dyno tuning, but that may not be an option right now so I may have to stick to a tune sent to me by a reputable tuner.

Can I use a "mail-order" tune safely? For example, I understand lots of people are using tunes by Justin of VMP to make monster power with their Roush TVS blowers. Those are "mail-order" tunes. So I assume it indeed can be done safely. Who can I go to for a Whipple tune?

I used a mail order tune for my procharged setup from justin at VMP. He's not a real talkative guy (probably because he's so busy) but he gets the shit done. My car runs realllllllly good. Idles just like a stock car and drives just like a stock 5.0, until you gun it

Users who are viewing this thread