front wheel bearing failures on open track cars?

Crazy01Cobra

Established Member
opk when driving i hear this noise coming from the front of the car like its rubbing against something and it makes a funny sound. I believe it is the bearing. When I got to autozone what should I ask for? How can I make sure this is what I need? And how much will this cost?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Crazy01Cobra said:
opk when driving i hear this noise coming from the front of the car like its rubbing against something and it makes a funny sound. I believe it is the bearing. When I got to autozone what should I ask for? How can I make sure this is what I need? And how much will this cost?

If you turn to the right and hear noise, it's your left hub. If you turn to the left and the noise goes away, that will confirm it's the left hub. Or vice versa.

Jack up your car, feel for play in the wheel. If you have wheel play, replace your front hub.

Ask the guy behind the counter for a front hub for a _____ (insert year here) Mustang.

Take off your wheel, caliper and rotor. Pop off the dust cap, take a 36mm socket and remove the nut. Pull off the old hub, replace with new hub and torque to 250 ft lbs.

Reassemble and you're rolling trouble free again.

Any questions!?!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
That all can be done at the track in about 10 minutes if you have the 36mm socket. If you don't then you're done for the day!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
That all can be done at the track in about 10 minutes if you have the 36mm socket. If you don't then you're done for the day!

There is No Doubt you can find someone at the track with a 36mm socket. If you don't have a spare hub, I'll bet you can find one of them at the track as well.

FWIW

MFE

Established Member
I don't think any of them come without the ABS exciter ring anymore. It's cheaper for the producers to make them all one way than it is to produce, catalog, stock and ship two different ones and the ABS ones fit non-ABS cars just fine.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
While I agree with your logic 110% they are available at least from Ford without the exciter ring. I've never bought the aftermarket ones so I can't comment but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread