Front Sway Bar - 97 Cobra

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
I will be removing my sway bar off my cobra this weekend....My question is....
Do I remove it with the tires hanging in the air (jake stands) or do I remove it while the car is on ramps?? :shrug: or does it not really matter? thanks in advance...

Black Stang 97

Established Member
to my knowledge...you can remove it while the car is parked, but to put it on, the car has to be leveled and on its full weight..

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
Black Stang 97 said:
to my knowledge...you can remove it while the car is parked, but to put it on, the car has to be leveled and on its full weight..

thanks...I wonder if tire can be hanging in the air to remove it....

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
heard it helps you hook better at the track....something having to do with weight transfer....I will find out this weekend to see if it really helps me hook better I know it will be less pounds.....cause I'm taking it to the strip on sunday.....

u n v kenny

Established Member
Well then leave it off?

and sell it to me... Because i'll keep it on at the track lol

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
u n v kenny said:
Well then leave it off?

and sell it to me... Because i'll keep it on at the track lol

LOL....I just dont want it to handle like a 90 Crown Vic when I get on the Highway here and there....:rolling:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Shifty Powers said:
can someone explain to me why you would do this? just wonderin, cuz yea i dont know lol

First of all, the 98s came with a sway bar. What they didn't come with was a strut tower brace.

The sway bar ties the two front a-arms together to prevent body roll. Removing the sway bar increases roll tendency but also allows for better weight transfer by allowing each arm to operate more independently. The weight reduction helps a little but nothing close to how much the un-tying of the a-arms provides.

BTW, you can remove it up on stands, on the ground, on a lift, upside down, or however you want, it really doesn't matter.

Last edited:

98(oBra\/ert

Established Member
na svt said:
First of all, the 98s came with a sway bar. What they didn't come with was a strut tower brace.

The sway bar ties the two front a-arms together to prevent body roll. Removing the sway bar increases roll tendency but also allows for better weight transfer by allowing each arm to operate more independently. The weight reduction helps a little but nothing close to how much the un-tying of the a-arms provides.

BTW, you can remove it up on stands, on the ground, on a lift, upside down, or however you want, it really doesn't matter.
Hit it on the head.

Juiced4V

why-try
Established Member
na svt said:

great info...thanks...........:beer:

BooRail85

Banned
seems to me that the 11 lbs or so you will save isnt going to do a darn thing.. but I agree with the fact that it helps the wieght transfer.. so, couldnt you just leave the sway bar mounted to the frame, but disconnect the two endlinks so that the a arms are not tied together?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
BooRail85 said:
seems to me that the 11 lbs or so you will save isnt going to do a darn thing.. but I agree with the fact that it helps the wieght transfer.. so, couldnt you just leave the sway bar mounted to the frame, but disconnect the two endlinks so that the a arms are not tied together?
I've read of someone doing this before. I was thinking of trying it for the Ford-Buick Shootout on Oct. 28th. As for the weight transfer, it's supposed to be good for another tenth off your 1/4 mile et.

Users who are viewing this thread