Front suspension noise

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
Past few months, I have noticed a lot of noise coming from the front suspension. The first one is everytime I turn the wheel, it makes a series of 3-4 clicks. I had it looked at and I was told I need to replace the whole steering rack :eek: The other sound is when your at low speeds you hear a lot of noise coming from the front that almost sounds like the power steering when it's low on fluid. I was able to duplicate the first problem with the suspension or whatever it is clicking when I turn the steering wheel, the other problem I was unable to do so. I have a feeling they are related. Almost sounds like something is loose. I have also checked the power steering fluid level and it was fine. Has anyone experienced any problems like this on their 03-04 Cobras? Car currently has 29k miles. :shrug:

WikedCobra

Established Member
Hey Rob,

How have you've been?

As for the steering noise, I had something like that happen on my car. It was a creaking noise that came from the front of the car when I turned the wheel. I took it in 3 times to the dealer to get it fixed. It was creaking from where the rack mounts to the cross member. I don't know if this is the problem your having, but it could be.

stevolikedevo

Established Member
I have the steering "clicking" noise problem as well. I also have a second problem coming from the front end I just noticed yesterday, can't decide yet what it is caused by. It sounds like a short popping noise that's pretty erratic, but I hear it mostly at low speeds, even when the car is nearly stopped or just gets moving. It either sounds like something depressurizing or a spring readjusting where it's seated, and I can feel a vibration in the clutch pedal when it happens. It concerns me quite a bit. Any ideas?

cobra03svt

J. Richter
Established Member
hey guys its odd cause i have similiar issues with my 2003 cobra. I do have the car lowered with eibach prokit and I had my friend check out the rack and he said i have about an 8th of play in the rack. He said I need a whole new rack and mine as well get new bushings and caster camber plates to help take stress off the rack cause its lowered. So also going over bumps at slower speeds i get alot of noise kinda sounds like struts are loose or something but had it all looked at seems tight the guy also said the rack might be moving and causing noise while going over bumps not sure how true that it.... i hope it helps let me know if you guys figure out your problem as well good luck

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
it's the rubber bushings...it pretty much happens on any car. I'm guessing more common on lowered cars because they have a better chance of gettin soaked. It even happened on my dad's tacoma here a couple years ago when it rained so much in southern cali. Go get some sylicone spray from pretty much any auto part store and SATURATE all the rubber bushings on your rack and pinion and on the control arm. It usually makes mine go away until it starts raining again. It's funny because I was actually going to go pick some up this weekend because it started again early last week

svtford03

Established Member
I have the same problem what works better is something called DC 111, but I have to agree with SUAVEFLOODER it comes back with the rainy weather.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Where do you get DC 111? I need to do it again this weekend...might as well try this stuff out!

NateV8

Established Member
You can also fix the steering creak by installing new steering rack bushings. You can get aluminum steering rack bushings from Maximum Motorsports for $40 and it also improves steering response.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
how hard are these to install? ^^^ (oh and by the way, that picture in your sig is my background on my computer :) )

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
Going to order the Alum. Rack bushings - but does anyone know if the front end will have be aligned after doing this install!?!

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
Thats what I figured :/ - Had this thing aligned wayyy to much lately! haha
H&R Race Spring install - 1st shop screwed my alignment ALLL up
2nd shop fixed the alignment and noticed a lot of stuff the 1st shop screwed up!
3rd shop took out the fron Iso's then aligned it again

So I guess I'll be goin in for my 4th alignment :/

gregorio

Established Member
Theres a service letter about it, I took it to teh dealer and it didnt make the noise that day, so they didnt fix. losers.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
suaveflooder said:
how hard are these to install? ^^^ (oh and by the way, that picture in your sig is my background on my computer :) )

They are easy!!! The hardest part is getting the metal sleeves out of the K-member. The steering response is soooooo much better!!! Biggest thing I was happy about was there is no noise.

Last edited:

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Yep. Steering rack bushings. They make both a poly bushing for it and a solid mount. I have the poly bushings on mine as I never new anyone that ran the solid mounts on a street driven car.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
so this thread may have been dead for awhile...but I did a search because I was having the same problem. I don't know just a ton about this kind of thing, but if the sway bar is removed could that have anything to do with the popping noises?

Users who are viewing this thread