front suspension help!

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
Well today these are the list of parts i had that i went to put on

- 03 cobra a-arms
- H&R race spring
- Maximum Motorsports swaybar endlinks

I had everything taken apart and the bolts about out of the a-arms but could get the one out that faced the steering rack. so after messing with it for awhile and no progress (yes i loosened the rack and tried to pry it away to make more room...didnt help) i decided to say f-it to the a-arm and just put the springs and end links in

So when i went to put the spindle back on i couldnt tighten the nut onto the balljoint...it would just spin the ball joint.... Please help with this!

Also if this is obviously a problem to getting my car back on the road, and tips or tricks to getting that bolt out of the a-arm? Please help with this!

Thanks for any and all the help!!

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
First of all, install the control arms.
To get the forward facing bolt out,
you may need to remove ONE BOLT that holds the coupler shaft to the rack.
That's the shaft that comes through the firewall
and connects the steering column to the rack and pinion.
That will allow the rack to move forward a bit more.
To install the ball joint into the spindle,
get the stud into the spindle and put a jack stand under the LCA.
Get the jackstand under the LCA as far outboard so the spring compresses.
That will "press" the Ball joint into the spindle so you can tighten the nut.
Make sure you install the new arms though.
They make the car ride and handle a whole lot better.
You'll be glad you did.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
First of all, install the control arms.
To get the forward facing bolt out,
you may need to remove ONE BOLT that holds the coupler shaft to the rack.
That's the shaft that comes through the firewall
and connects the steering column to the rack and pinion.
That will allow the rack to move forward a bit more.
To install the ball joint into the spindle,
get the stud into the spindle and put a jack stand under the LCA.
Get the jackstand under the LCA as far outboard so the spring compresses.
That will "press" the Ball joint into the spindle so you can tighten the nut.
Make sure you install the new arms though.
They make the car ride and handle a whole lot better.
You'll be glad you did.

Thanks those are great tips!! im still a little unclear on the ball joint problem... its in the spindle right now....is it just not all the way it or enough to not make the ball joint spin? thanks again!

Toasty

Established Member
Screw the old arms.

Install the new ones. It can be a bitch to get the bolts out, but its worth the effort. I had similar issues and I just worked thru them.

97riocobra2

Established Member
I had to use a impact on the balljoint nut. I had everything re-assembled and it would just spin. So I hit it with the impact, then torqued it to spec.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
I had to use a impact on the balljoint nut. I had everything re-assembled and it would just spin. So I hit it with the impact, then torqued it to spec.

thats what i tried doing but it would spin with the impact:??:

i will be trying this again on my day off so well see later this week how things go. ill post up

Get those arms in!
You'll be glad you did. I love mine, WELL WORTH the effort.

im going to try it again, i really hope its worth the hassle!

97riocobra2

Established Member
It spun a couple times on me with the impact too. I loosened the nut so that I could tighten it with my hand, then hit it with the impact quickly and it worked on both sides.

As for the control arms, I took everything off the arm then I loosened the nuts with a breaker bar, my impact wouldn't fit under there. Then I used a rubber hammer and my breaker bar to knock the bolts out. Spray it down with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight if you have problems.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
i cant even spin the nut on by hand goes a couple threads and gets tough enough that it starts spining the ball joint...and before anyone says it NO ITS NOT STRIPPED OR CROSS THREADED just being a pain in the balls

i can get the control arms to the point wear all i need is the one bolt out (the one facing the steering rack but even with it loosened i couldnt do it..

97riocobra2

Established Member
Tighten it to where it gets tight then back it off a half turn and impact the hell out of it!

Try to put the jack underneath the section of the control arm where the bolt connects and see if putting a bit of pressure on it will make it easier to remove the bolt.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Let me guess...
The nut is off and the bolt won't budge. When you attempt to turn the bolt, it kinda bounces back.
I had the SAME issue on both sides of my car with the front bolt. The bushing sleeve was disconnected from the bushing(sorta) and the bolt was kinda welded to the sleeve from all the heat and weight.
I ended up having to use a cutoff wheel and even that took a while. I can tell you right now, a SawzAll won't do shlt. The bolt just chews up the blades.
The bolt is above Grade 8.
Before you cut yours off, order 1 or 2 from your local Ford dealership. DO NOT get a bolt from a hardware store. ALL of the vehicles front end is held up by those 4 bolts! Be SURE to replace with a Ford bolt only. You'll see the nut and bolt are unique.

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any other Qs

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the help!!!! im going to be working on this with a buddy of mine on thursday so we'll see how it goes... sometimes i wish it was only springs i would have ahd the car done so fast lol

Ill post an update and a picture or two when its done! thanks again guys for the help!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I'm assuming all of the issues are because it's another Ford replacement. Would these issues be there with installing MM front lowers? Those and coilovers are on my list for this winter.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm assuming all of the issues are because it's another Ford replacement. Would these issues be there with installing MM front lowers?

Of course the same issues would be there if he had MM lowers....
he can't get the OEM arms OFF. It has nothing to do with the new arms.
Pay attention. ;-)

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
After I heard about PJ's dilemna (badass98svt) I was too scared to have the car in pieces all over my condo parking lot. I had buddy at a Ford dealer take the car to work and do it. He bought all new bolts and end links and gave it back to me for 50.00 plus the parts. Plus he put in my MM solid rack bushings and changed the oil.

Helomech74

Established Member
To keep the ball joint from spinning you need to put a load on the control arm. Use a Jack on the most outer edge of the control arm (under the ball joint) and jack it up until the ball joint engages the spindle and then jack it a little more to load the ball joint into the spindle. Then hit it with an impact gun, should work like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread