Front Lic Tag holes

LandShark

Established Member
I have read all the discussion about front tag vs not front tag, however, this is the situation I find myself.

Bought a Min Grey 03 from a dealer in VA (which requires front plates) and I live in eastern Tennessee (which doesnt require the front plate). The dealer had predrilled and mounted the front plate bracket, so I decided to just accept it and put some type of vanity plate on the mount.

After getting the car home, I was mounting the vanity "Cobra" mirrored plate when I found that the holes were not level. The left side is lower than the right by 1/2".

Dealer has offered to patch holes with bondo and repaint or put plastic tabs in the holes and paint MG. I have asked the price of a front bumper, and they quickly said it was extremely expensive. Should I press for a new bumper painted at the factory?

Looking for any words of wisdom on this screwup.

Thanks

haskett

Established Member
Filling the holes is probably reasonable. The front bumper is flexible plastic, so I don't think that you want bono ??

Bosko

Established Member
I had them filled and painted on my 95... Cant even tell they were there. Just make sure you make them remove the bumper when they paint it!... Dont let their lazy body shop just mask the front of the car off and over spray all over your pretty 03!

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
If it were me, I would make them give me a whole new bumper. They know good and well that they don't require front plates where you're from, and secondly they screwed it up anyway and made it uneven. No matter how you try to fix it, it's gonna show. You payed $35000 for a brand new car, don't take second best, or a FIXED bumper. Now get back to that dealership like a proud owner and demand a new bumper!

mosconiac

Established Member
I think some posters here are missing the point that their work was SUBSTANDARD.

Misaligning the holes by such a degree that it is plainly visible is entirely UNACCEPTABLE.

The only proper solution is replacement of the entire front facia. Bondo/caps/any other shoddy work is UNACCEPTABLE.

They screwed it up, make them pay. It matters not whether you want a plate or not...shouldn't enter the discussion until they want to drill the new one...then it's :bash:

Orange Poison

Established Member
landshark,

Ask them to give you a new bumper painted from the factory, not done at a bodyshop.....since the paint wont be as good from the factory.

cwa175

Established Member
Let us know whatever you decide. I got one in Texas where we are supposed to have front plates. Mine only has two holes that drive me crazy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with Mosconiac. a 1/2" difference is a BIG difference. If it was 1/8" or so I'd accept it. It probably happens more than we realize but most folks might not pick up on it. But we Cobra folks have keen eyes! LOL. I'd say filling would only be acceptable it the work is guaranteed for as long as you own the car. And the work should be done with the bumper removed. If you can see the dimples when the work is done I wouldn't accept it. They have to make it right. If they don't want to take that chance then they should replace the bumper at their cost. Be sure that you get the repair documented with the guarantee. Funny how dealers can have a memory lapse when you least need it. :)

LandShark

Established Member
VintagePorscheG .... Report it to whom???

Thanks for all the comments, I will let you know how the discussion goes Monday :bash: or :beer:

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
Wow would I be pissed off...

Looks to me like the dealer owes you a new front facia...

Report it instantly...
I would totally agree..... I could understand the holes,,, but not taking the time to level them off is just insane..... have them give you a new one.

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by LandShark
VintagePorscheG .... Report it to whom???

Thanks for all the comments, I will let you know how the discussion goes Monday :bash: or :beer:
The dealer you bought it from.... that is their makeready staff's fault. Get a new one put on

Bosko

Established Member
I agree that it is a Brand new and expensive car. Expensive for a Mustang at least. All cars when a dealer recives them goes thew the "new car get ready" process. And one of the steps most dealers if not all is install the front plate. (if one is required in the state the dealer is in).

If the holes were drilled correctly then there wouldnt be a problem, except for the fact that the font plate looks like crap.

So since they didnt drill your bumper correctly I can see a reason to ask for a new bumper. But I could imagine them not being very willing to do that but they might just go ahead and do it with no problem.

If they charged you sticker or more I would try to sock it to 'em. And make the money grubbin dealer replace the whole thing as they technicaly should. The front bumper probaly only costs $400 then they have to have a body shop paint it. If its a in house bodyshop like most dealers have then it problaly wouldnt cost them much at all since its their own body shop. If they have to send it somewhere then thats probably like $200 - $300 to prep and paint.

But if they tell you they wont give you a new bumper and they just want to fix it, you would not be able to tell there were holes there when they are done. (IF they do a nice job)

Last edited:

Trader

Established Member
I would have blown a gasket. Seriously. New bumper. A new car should not have any holes in it like that.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Originally posted by 03SonicSnake
If it were me, I would make them give me a whole new bumper. They know good and well that they don't require front plates where you're from, and secondly they screwed it up anyway and made it uneven. No matter how you try to fix it, it's gonna show. You payed $35000 for a brand new car, don't take second best, or a FIXED bumper. Now get back to that dealership like a proud owner and demand a new bumper!
:mj:

LandShark

Established Member
The answer

The dealership just called back with their answer to my demand for a new front fascia. No, not until they attempt the repair with filler and repaint. Have not decided whether to let them try or not. Not my idea of good customer service.

I will update you with the dealership name after the negotiations over this thing have finished.:fm:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Be sure to cover your assets over the long haul since they are going to try to repair it. If they don't do it the right way, the bondo will "sink' into the bumper - leaving you with slight indentations where the holes were patched after about 6 months (they need to but some backing material behind the holes in the bumper). I can slightly understand them only wanting to fix the problem - and not replace the bumper - but they should damn well do it right and stand behind their work. I'd make sure that there was a written clause in the repair order for a post 6 month inspection.

I had my holes filled at a paint shop when I got the stripes painted on the 01 (in CA you are required by law to have the stupid front plate - so I didn't have any recourse for a dealer fix). They have recessed ever so slightly but you can see where the holes were on close inspection. He's agreed to redo the job - just haven't gotten off my rear to get it one yet.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd recommend that if you allow them to try the repair that they agree you must be satisfied. If not the bumper gets replaced. THEY made the mistake so you have the right to be satisfied. If they won't agree to this go up a level to the regional office.

Users who are viewing this thread