Front IRS Subframe Replacement Bolt Help Needed

Formula51

Established Member
What's the secret to getting the Subframe bushing lined up with the body hole?

I have the car supported on jack stands at the SFC and am using the jack under the IRS Subframe (near the bolt) to take weight off, but the bushing hole is off center with the body hole. The bushing hole is shifted towards the rear of the car. I cannot get the new larger bolts in because of this.

Do I need to have the weight of the car on the rear to line up the bushing? Say by putting ramps under the rear tires?

MG0h3

Established Member
I think I got one in fairly easy but had to mess around with the other--might have used a large punch in the hole or a prybar to force the subframe into place. I think at times I was spinning the bolt along with using a deadblow to tap it through.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Try taking some weight off the suspension on the side you are working on. The suspension just hanging is pulling the front mount back a little. If you have two jacks, put another under the lca and slowly raise it up. You should be able to see the front mount go forward. As stated, you might need to use something to put in the holes to do the final line up.

Good luck.

rymax101

Established Member
I literally just redid my bushings too. But my hole alignment was the opposite I had to take the subframe backwards a little bit. I had to make sure all the other bolts were loose. And I used a ratchet strap to around the subframe to a solid point.

For me I just pulled my truck up behind it and used the tow hook and pulled mine backwards to line it up and just used a jack for the vertical. You will have to just find a point on the car to pass the strap around.

Also a good set of aligning pry bars really help.

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Can you post a picture? I've seen a few problems before but each fix was different.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Also, do the new larger bolts fit through the front box without manipulation. If you upgraded to the larger bolts, you may have to file the holes. In reality, your just cleaning them up.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
I will try jacking under the LCA and/or a ratchet strap. Thanks for the ideas.

The bolts look like they will fit through the holes, but just barely, which is the point. I tried a pry bar but as soon as I stop prying the bushing goes right back to misaligned. Simple things are never simple, haha.

cj428mach

Established Member
Also, do the new larger bolts fit through the front box without manipulation. If you upgraded to the larger bolts, you have to file the holes to allow for the 2mm increase.

I used 9/16" bolts and they fit fine no filing.

funmoneypit

Established Member
I will try jacking under the LCA and/or a ratchet strap. Thanks for the ideas.

The bolts look like they will fit through the holes, but just barely, which is the point. I tried a pry bar but as soon as I stop prying the bushing goes right back to misaligned. Simple things are never simple, haha.
Exactly as far as the bolts. The holes are 14mm but a lot of the front bolts were 12mm from the factory. We install the "correct" size 14mm bolts to take up slop that is there. I wouldn't file the holes larger as you are just defeating the purpose of putting the 14mm bolts in.

Hope you get it in. I will be doing this same thing here in a couple weeks along with a FRPP diff cover and diff bushings.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
For me I just pulled my truck up behind it and used the tow hook and pulled mine backwards to line it up and just used a jack for the vertical. You will have to just find a point on the car to pass the strap around.

LOL, that's some quality redneck engineering right there :beer:

03' White Snake

Established Member
I did one side first, swung it down in the back so I could use the upper piece of the subframe to pull and push it until I got the bolt in. It definitely takes some persuading.

Did you stretch open the pockets like the FTBR videos show? That helped a lot. They close right back up when you tighten the bolts, so no harm is done.

Formula51

Established Member
I got it! Ratchet strap worked like a charm! Once I got the first side, everything was aligned and the other side went in easy. Thanks yall.

Users who are viewing this thread