Front end lift-up?

tapout632

Established Member
I was wondering, what is the proper way to get the front of the car to sort of "lift up" not really a huge wheelie where the tires are completely off the ground but still on the ground like in this pic:

wheelie.jpg

The launch is so awesome, like a true cobra when it strikes and snatches it's prey. What is needed to do this, I know a lot of HP but around 450rwhp? Also, would you need to dump the clutch at higher RPM?

03RedCobra

Established Member
I'm not very knowledgeable in this category, Drag-racers please chime in, but, as far as what I know in getting the front wheels to raise higher you have to have different spring rates on the front than what is on the car stock. If the spring is more easily "stretched" apart, I think that is a lower spring rate, then the front end will lift higher and transfer more weight back to the rear wheels. I think the front struts play a part in this as well.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
it's not necessarily a power thing as much as the setup. Because I'm not to concerned with drag launches myself I'm not sure about specifics on parts but I can generally tell you want you'd need. With the IRS you'll probably never pull the front end up that high, the rear-end squats a bit too much. If you went with a solid rear axle that would be your best choice. You'll want a set of loose springs up front with a 70/30 or 90/10 ration shock absorbers. Take both the front and rear sway bars out of the car. You'll have a set of decent springs in the back usually with 50/50 ratio shocks. Again there are specific drag launch springs out there and many have an inflatable bag in the right rear spring. Now just get some light wheels and sticky tires and go get your launch

I'm sure more knowledgable people will chime in with some more specifics on a good setup.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're right. It is more in the setup. You want to transfer power to rear and a softer set of front spring (along with other components) will help that happen. Remember that most of your weight is on the front end, not the rear, to begin with. Of course, power will help, too.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
you can do it 2 ways.....1500hp and slicks or you can have a drag suspension and the right weight and with that it can be done with 300rwhp...there is a local mach 1 that pulls 1 wheel up and goes 11.9 with 320rwhp and tq

03yellow

Established Member
Kb with 600hp /a good set of slicks and your wheels are comming up.
IRS or not .....they will come off!

Users who are viewing this thread