Front end creaking

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
When I bought my GT, I was told that it had the FRPP handling pack. When I test drove it, there was a bit of a creak when turning the wheel. The dealer said that the kit had some grease fittings that needed to be hit....they did it...and the sound went away.

Now, the noise is back and I've been under the front end (did the oil change earlier today), but damn if I can't find any grease fittings to hit on the front end. Honestly, the front sway bar looks stock to be honest...but no grease fittings at any of the mounting locations...
I've followed the front suspension from A-arm to A-arm, and I didn't see anywhere to grease.

Any suggestions? I've been trying to do some searches on Youtube and google, but I'm not seeing anything that stands out.

There is obviously some FRPP pieces to the suspension (blue and clearly not as dirty as the rest of the undercarriage...I'm in the process of cleaning it anyways).

Again...any suggestions?b

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
is your front sway bar blue? that would make it frpp. it has grease fittings on both sides where it bolts to the frame. if not, you can always take it off and lube the bushings.

Last edited:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
is your front sway bar blue? that would make it frpp. it has grease fittings on both sides where it bolts to the frame. if not, you can always take it off and lube the bushings.

The rear swaybar is blue, the front one is black with no grease fittings where it attaches to the frame.

If I go through the trouble of taking the sway bar off I'm just going to replace the rubber bushings.

dg98gt

Established Member
Has it been lowered? If so, maybe they reused the stock stut mounts. I did, and I don't think they are reusable and I have the same creaking sound at slow turns in the parking lots. I am going to swap to the GT500 strut mounts soon.

Later,
Derrick

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Has it been lowered? If so, maybe they reused the stock stut mounts. I did, and I don't think they are reusable and I have the same creaking sound at slow turns in the parking lots. I am going to swap to the GT500 strut mounts soon.

Later,
Derrick

Yep, it's lowered. I'll have to check on this and check the pricing on the GT500 strut mounts as well....its doing exactly what you're describing.

Makes the car sound like a POS.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yep, it's lowered. I'll have to check on this and check the pricing on the GT500 strut mounts as well....its doing exactly what you're describing.

Makes the car sound like a POS.

Talking about where it mounts at the top?

GT500 mounts (same for either side, just differ between coupe and vert)

BR3Z-18183-C

list about $100 apiece.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Talking about where it mounts at the top?

GT500 mounts (same for either side, just differ between coupe and vert)

BR3Z-18183-C

list about $100 apiece.

I haven't had a chance to have someone turn the wheel while I have the hood popped....so I don't know for sure where the noise is coming from. I;m going to try and get my wife to do this tonight so I can try and isolate the noise.

I appreciate it, I actually found the part a a bit ago...'bout $100 (for a set, is what I saw?). I'm looking for a install write up now (google/youtube is my friend :)

I'm a bit agitated that the dealership kind of bs'd me about the grease fittings though.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
do you have FRPP struts up front? if you have factory '11-'13 struts they are not compatiable with GT500 mounts according to the websites, you need the '05-'09 struts.

kingnut

Established Member
OP it sounds like the strut mounts. btw your cable guy avy is creepy.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
do you have FRPP struts up front? if you have factory '11-'13 struts they are not compatiable with GT500 mounts according to the websites, you need the '05-'09 struts.

They are the blue FRPP struts (unless I'm mistaken and the 11' came with blue struts). But this part says it's for 05-14...so I wouldn't think it would be an issue either way, no?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-gt500-strutmount-0512.html

OP it sounds like the strut mounts. btw your cable guy avy is creepy.

What I'm thinking at this point, but I'm going to pop the hood later and have a buddy of mine here at work turn the wheel to see if I can isolate the noise.

My avatar is creepy, says the man with Borat as his avatar :beer:

Last edited:

dg98gt

Established Member
Here is what you need if you are having the same problem with "creaking" in the front as me. I know this because I broke mine and some of the ball bearings came out. I put it back together and drove the car for a while, then the "creaking" started happening. It is an annoyance, but I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Here is what I will be getting soon to fix it.

Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade (05-14 All) M-18183-C - Free Shipping!

Later,
Derrick

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Here is what you need if you are having the same problem with "creaking" in the front as me. I know this because I broke mine and some of the ball bearings came out. I put it back together and drove the car for a while, then the "creaking" started happening. It is an annoyance, but I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Here is what I will be getting soon to fix it.

Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade (05-14 All) M-18183-C - Free Shipping!

Later,
Derrick

I appreciate it, man. I linked to the same part in the post just above your's :beer:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
OK, didn't want to make a separate post for this, but two questions.

1. Can you identify the GT500 vs GT strut mount without removing the wheel and or strut?

2. I've been looking for a write-up/video to replace the strut mount and haven't found one. I'm assuming it's pretty strait forward (other than the alignment)?

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
I have the same thing, but mine dont creak they just get sticky.. i replaced the balls and re-lubed everything and its still a tiny bit sticky.

Plan is to put on some of those super nice Vorshlag perches (upper strut mounts) that bolt right to 2011-2014 struts and steer as smooth as glass with no noise and no sticktion or memory.

Fun watching all the balls roll around the floor of the garage isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread