front bumper

adonis

Established Member
I was down at the car wash knocking off the dust. I had a few bugs on the front bumper so I got a little bit closer with the nozzle. I ended up peeling off a little of the paint. DOH!!!!! I think maybe I already have had a small rock chip and that's what started it peeling. Does anyone know the best way to patch this up? It's about an 1/8 inch by 1/4 inch piece that's missing.

Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm almost certain you need to use a special paint designed for rubber. I'd recommend you call your SVT body shop and ask them. But for a patch that big you're probably going to have to have a good portion of the bumper repainted if you want it done right. Shouldn't be that expensive though.

stevieb

Established Member
Yes, there is a special paint and/or process for the plastic surfaces like the bumper. Thats what Im told by the body shop that paints our fleet of vehicles. Of course Im sure somebody is going to come on here and say what Ive told you is bs!
But one thing for sure, NEVER EVER use a pressure wand on the painted surface of a car.

03forme

Established Member
The key to painting bumpers, (what works for me) there needs to be a plastic adhesion promoter followed by sealer, a flex agent in the sealer is important (it helps with rock chips, light hits etc.) If you have it painted make sure they do this most techs are to lazy to spend the extra 2 mins for a quality job, then basecoat followed by clearcoat w/flex agent. You might try warranty since most likely won't be happy with The results of touchup, some shops will spot paint it for you, but thats more or less a temp. fix. Hope this helps. btw I see your in Dallas if you ever make it up to OKC let me know I'll help you, I work in a ricer bodyshop, but I drive a Cobra:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now there ya go. A response from a pro. A great explanation and sound advice. :beer:

adonis

Established Member
thanks

Yeah, I knew the pressure washers could blow the paint off. I guess it's one of those "couldn't possibly happen to me" situations. That and being to lazy to scrub it by hand. Thanks for the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread