Front brake upgrade help

455HO71

Established Member
Has anyone with a pre- 13/14 GT500 upgrade to a 15" rotor and 6 piston caliper from say...a 13/14 swap? Looking at a 15" Baer set and perhaps a 6 piston caliper from someone selling a brembo they've upgraded on. Any opinions?
Thanks!

Imatk

Established Member
I have the 2013 brakes on my '07

Honestly, they look cool, but I don't think there's a ton of difference, unless maybe you track the car. I don't so I don't have any input on that end.

I put them on mine because I got a deal on some used ones. They were about 600 bucks for the whole deal but they were cosmetically beat up which is why.

I spent a couple weeks sanding and painting them and now they look awesome behind my wheels. I painted them red because I prefer that color to the black with my gray car.

If you do go with larger brakes up front you'd be smart to upgrade the rears to the larger diameter rotor a'la the 2013 models. I did that with an adapter bracket.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the 2013 brakes on my 2012. While I have not been back to the mile, the poor braking performance I had with upgraded rotors and pads with the OEM sized calipers woahing this pig from 185 mph promted this upgrade.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Depends on the type of driving you do, if its worth it to upgrade. The stock 4 piston calipers have enough clamping force to lock up the front tires at 90mph, so in my situation, I need to upgrade the tires. The brakes can "out-clamp" more than the tire can grip. There are plenty of track guys on here that use the 4 piston ones, with great success, but they are only braking from 140mph or so on the fastest straight to about 40mph entry speed of the next turn. My vote would be for the 6 piston Brembo ones, if you decide to upgrade.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Im looking at this now as well as I can get the front calipers off the 13-14s for $700 new. I've had a few times where under hard braking my brakes felt iced over is the best way I can describe it. I want to get a set of Brembos for the rear too just to complete the look but I dont know what to get them from. A buddy is selling a whole set off of a C63 AMG but I dont know how much I will need to do to get them to fit.

deepblue13

Established Member
I decided to just upgrade the rotors, brake lines and brake pads on my 2012. Does the job extremely well for straight line action.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I pulled the trigger on a very interesting front brake upgrade! Will update and create a thread when and if it works out like I am hoping.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I upgraded my '12 with Shelby Wilwood 6 piston front, 4 piston rear, new Wilwood rotors and brake lines. I noticed a significant difference on stopping from the switch over factory Brembo's. An interesting thing I noticed and found out about the Brembo's. The caliper had Brembo's on it, but was cast with FOMOCO on the inside half of the caliper. Turns out, those Brembo's (2012 at least) are a lower Brembo's grade made specifically for Ford according Shelby Performance Parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
7c959b36da7e5b6eb5a7fb23e9821cf4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread