From FBody to Cobra.

Aharon

Established Member
Ok, I am starting to get used to driving the 03 Cobra. I traded in a WS6 LS1 for the car, and believe me I dont regret it.

The best way I explain it when compring the two cars: You drive the cobra, but the WS6 drove you. The cobra is definatly a drivers car.

Though, I am trying to get a feel of weather or not the car is fast. It's hard becuase I am used to having an EXTREMLY loud exhaust on my LS1 (cutout no muffler).. So, when I excelerate I get the false sense of slowness since the Cobra sounds like a V6 at WOT.

I think it's just me though.. Becuase I watch my passengers heads get slammed into the seat when I gun it, and they usually respond kindly after they clean thier britches.. But, it still feels slow ;)

It's all really a mute point, and this post is utterly useless, becuase on Sunday I am getting the car dynoed.

Why it appears to be slow to me:

*) My LS1 would lose traction if I punched it at 4 grand in first.. It would spin all the way till 2nd. The Cobra just takes off, but doesnt feel like it's losing traction.
*) I have yet to be able to chirp 2nd gear. Not that chirping 2nd gear is a good thing, but it makes me happy. And gives me a false sense of horsepower :)
*) Matter 'o fact, I dont think I have ever broke the tires loose in this car.. Though, I havent tried a really hard launch.. Trying to break the car in nicely.

I should have 1,000 miles by Sunday. And I am getting the oil changed, hitting the 1/4 mile track.. Afterwords I will be getting the car dynoed as well.. All on the same weekend.. lol.. This should answer all my questions.

Just thought I would take up a post with my ramblings.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm glad you found the light! :thumbsup:

My 03 chirps 2nd no problem. I also have no problem breaking the tires loose. Just make sure you have the traction control off.

Aharon

Established Member
Is it possible I have clogged cats from the factory? For the life of me the car wont break the tires (Unless I launch REALLY hard). What are the symptoms of the clogged cats? I know that my last tank of gas I only got 11.3 mpg.. I have about 600 miles on the car, and have only gave it alot of gas maybe a 10 times.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If you cats were clogged, your cats would be glowing bright red and the car would be stalling. Check out this MS Excel Spreadsheet I made. I have been recording my gas consumption along with a lot of other things.

After 1500 miles, I've averaged 14.2 MPG

My Gas Consumption Breakdown Analysis

Last edited:

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
After 1500 miles, I've averaged 14.2 MPG
If we attack Iraq,(not that there's anything wrong with that) we're screwed.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Something must be wrong because I punch mine in first and the tires just spin and then you hold on for dear life. Once I punched it in second and broke em loose. I agree its hard to nail second and third gear scratches but that is why this car is so great. It just hooks and takes off. Get your car dynoed and see what is up. And can you clear up what you mean by your WS6 driving you and you driving the cobra????

StreetSnake

Established Member
*) Matter 'o fact, I dont think I have ever broke the tires loose in this car.. Though, I havent tried a really hard launch.. Trying to break the car in nicely.

Aharon That post could have been mine, I dont seem to be able to break them loose either.:beer:

Aharon

Established Member
I just got off the phone with SVT.. The guy was pretty cool :)

I cant believe the conversation I just had with him.. It's just strange becuase I couldnt imagine having some guy from SVT telling me the car should lay rubber down and chirp 2nd ;) And thats what he said.

He asked me if the car was making any funny smells.. And it does get a little stinky if I have the AC on.. And told him about the mileage.. He said to get it checked out by the dealer and it could be the cats.

He also said I could bring my dyno results in, and that if it dyno's less then 350 that I could use the dyno to make a fuss to the dealer with. . LOL!

SVT was great on the phone, and made me feel alot better.

mosconiac

Established Member
I have had similar experiences with the '03...

From a roll in first, it doesn't break the tires loose, it hooks and you're gone.

However, I routinely chirp second.

I also found that I can chirp third!

Discovered that when an a-hole Chevy pickup driver cut me off so he could be first in line at a traffic light!

What is it with these guys...tailgating...cutting me off...revving at me...do you have to missing a pre-determined number of brain cells before you are allowed to purchase a Chevy PU or what???

With that said, it still "feels" as though my '03 is a bit down on power. It might be that I am being fooled by the broad torque curve or just getting used to it, but its sitting at the dealers shop as we speak anyway...I get a "skunky" smell occasionally and there is a slight miss at mid-range RPMs.

Mosconiac

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
Once you have the engine fully broken in, and some wear on the tires, you'll be able to get a chirp in 4th if you powershift.

From about a 10-20 mph roll, my car hooks up perfectly depending on the road. Goofing around for a pack of kids in my neighborhood yesterday I smoked 'em all the way through 2nd and a little way through third before one tire hooked and sent me sideways.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
I'm not sure how reliable the "tire chirp" test is (road surface, temperature, driving technique all vary), but for what it's worth, I have over 1000 miles on the car and I don't get rubber on ashfault when powershifting 1-2. I have a drop in k&n with silencer removed, and an FR500.

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by IRON MACHINE
I'm not sure how reliable the "tire chirp" test is (road surface, temperature, driving technique all vary), but for what it's worth, I have over 1000 miles on the car and I don't get rubber on ashfault when powershifting 1-2. I have a drop in k&n with silencer removed, and an FR500.

Think that is an astute observation... The roads out here are for shit. No asphalt.... Sand / dirt on them all the time. Shizzt I chirp second on my mountain bike.

Users who are viewing this thread