Freezing Process to Extend Life and Improve Cooling

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm. Interesting process. They seem to be best suited to race or hard-use applications, which is where their testimonies mainly come from.

Last edited:

95-GrandAmGT

Established Member
I am building up a engine this winter/spring time, and I will be having it cryotreated. From everything I researched on it, it seems to be effective.

dougwg

Established Member
the process is called "normalizing".... been done for years and years in the toolmaking field

it removes internal stresses

this process will benifit you anywhere a part is under stress....

maoun

Established Member
you can do this to any part of an engine that you want

it works but is usually not worth the $

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
At work I send allot of things out to have this done. They bring the temp of the object down to -350F degrees and the slowly up by 20 degree increments if I remember right. Then to 350F degrees above then slowly back down to ambient by 20 degrees at a time.

I have done this in my tool and die dept and also do it for Saw blades that are 14 or 16 dia for cutting brass and brass plated alum extrusion where no burr is acceptable.

The deal it the first cutting of a new blade that cost about 260 bucks is great. There after the sharpings dont last long at all!

Threw this process the molecular layout is changed and does a nice hardening process threw out the blade or anything you do it to.

I owned a lawn care buisness for some years and had new lawn mower blades sent out for the same process and changes blades sharpening out to month rather than a week. Lots of lawn care buisness do this. If your one reading, do it works great.

My only thought though is it would be waste of money on a rotor because of how hot the rotor gets and would change the cryo hardening process. Yes when you get the rotors they are hard all the way threw but some real hard triple digit stops will eliminate that harding of cryo.

I would invest in top of the line rotors due to the metal they use. People for the most part think metal is metal and it isnt. ever wonder why stock rotor last so long and those 14.95 rotors at big wheel dont and rust like heck.

Sorry so long of a message

Users who are viewing this thread