Free virus protection program for my CPU?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
pay for avast if you are going to pay. Norton has become a dog ... Mcafee is a dog with fleas

In the market to get some sort of antivirus SW for my dad's laptop. He's fairly computer illiterate and every time I go visit them, it seems like I'm spending 15 minutes cleaning up all the crap he's downloaded from clicking on junk.

I was just checking out the Avast website, is the next step up from the Free version worth the money or am I better off just going to Best Buy and picking up a Norton program? His computer usage really only consists of facebook, googling god knows what, skyping with family in Italy, and checking out his Scottrade accounts.

JasonSnake

Established Member
If you have Windows 8.0 or up, you already have Windows Defender. It is disabled when a 3rd party AV program is installed. Remove McAfee, reboot, then go into the control panel > Defender and re-enable. Allow it to download its updates and you should be golden. The only other thing I use is Malwarebytes but I rarely ever need to use it. Just don't go to questionable sites or download a bunch of pirated software. You'll be fine.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I use MSE and occasionally Malwarebytes. Only time I have to use malwarebytes is when I am downloading a free software to try out for work stuff and they have bloatware with it. Other than that I just don't go anywhere I don't trust.

4601S/C

Established Member
Avast and Malwarebytes. Sometimes I used MSE. All 3 have good reputations.

Gravik

Established Member
I use FortiClient on my PC, and nothing on my laptop since I have linux.

Users who are viewing this thread